Thread: Noise complaint group at NJMP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Noise complaint group at NJMP

Just ran across this on another site.
    http://trackracket.org/
    Looks like they are getting fairly organized. Hope there's no major trouble coming.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

That site has been available for a while... I know 'they' have reached out to folks around monticello and Palmer to inform residents about 'us'.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Hmm.. the airport has been there since before WW II with unmuffled aircraft taking off and landing but suddenly it got noisy. Nothing mentioned on the website about planes bothering the neighbors.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by callard View Post
    Nothing mentioned on the website about planes bothering the neighbors.
    Unfortunately, not true. From http://trackracket.org/Myths_and_Truths.html:

TO THOSE WHO SAY WE HAVE NO ROOM TO COMPLAIN FOR THE AIRPORT IS LOUDER:
    The airport noise is intermittent, it comes and goes and last from 20 seconds to less than five minutes. The airport does not impede normal, recreational and necessary activities we perform in our residences. The noise produced by the Air Show is for only one weekend per year. Period. As to the noise produced by the testing of engines from Airworks- this happened intermittently and for only a few minutes at a time. Jet fuel is very expensive and testing was kept to a minimal length of time to save money. It was a sad day when Airworks packed their bags and said good-bye to Millville, tossing many dedicated workers out on the street. The bright side of the loss was that the noise stopped. The quality of live improved tremendously for the surrounding neighborhoods. Why would we want to go backwards?

For those who contend that once you have something that creates noise (airport) that you should just put up and fancy more? Suppose you go into a restaurant with a stain on your tie. Waiter comes, and while clearing the table, grabs your tie to wipe some grease from his hands. You are not amused, to put it mildly, but the waiter back in the kitchen says: “I found it ironic that he complained about the grease, when the tie was seriously stained to begin with.”

how old is NJMP? how long have the neighbors been there?
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

NJMP opened in early 2008 (or was it late 2007?). I recall our first Regional at the first (or two) tracks was '08, anyway. Neighbors have pretty much been in the area for years before that.

Attached is a KMZ file for you from Google Earth. Download it, rename it from .txt to .kmz, then open it with Google Earth. While these satellite photos do not yet show the track (current data is from August 2006, indicating just how new the track is), NJMP takes up the area southeast of the airport between it and that road intersection to the southeast. Thunder track is along Buckshutem Road, and Lightning is east of that along Co Rd 555.

According to someone on RRAX, the majority of the complaints are coming from the neighbors to the west.

GA
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is the track in compliance with zoning & sound laws? If so end of discussion.

Noise limits won't kill the racing, and might just keep our hearing a little bit longer too...

My home track is Waterford. Sound limit is 74Db for a black flag - at the properly line, which is the top of the wall along the back straight. Note that the wall is approx 10-15' or so from the edge of the track.

Keeps a lot of people away, because they're not willing to throttle down their cars from the SCCA norm. Still have pretty good racing anyway.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I read the word "megaphone" and was reminded of the late '70s, when I attended my first SCCA Club races. The C Prod RX7s at the time ran megaphones. When they got far enough down track that you were in the cone of doom that projected out of them, you'd literally feel ill from the sound. But everything was loud - earplugs were absolutely mandatory and even at that, I've suffered some hearing loss that I attribute to that period.

K