Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noise complaint group at NJMP

Default Noise complaint group at NJMP

Just ran across this on another site.
    http://trackracket.org/
    Looks like they are getting fairly organized. Hope there's no major trouble coming.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

That site has been available for a while... I know 'they' have reached out to folks around monticello and Palmer to inform residents about 'us'.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Hmm.. the airport has been there since before WW II with unmuffled aircraft taking off and landing but suddenly it got noisy. Nothing mentioned on the website about planes bothering the neighbors.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by callard View Post
    Nothing mentioned on the website about planes bothering the neighbors.
    Unfortunately, not true. From http://trackracket.org/Myths_and_Truths.html:

TO THOSE WHO SAY WE HAVE NO ROOM TO COMPLAIN FOR THE AIRPORT IS LOUDER:
    The airport noise is intermittent, it comes and goes and last from 20 seconds to less than five minutes. The airport does not impede normal, recreational and necessary activities we perform in our residences. The noise produced by the Air Show is for only one weekend per year. Period. As to the noise produced by the testing of engines from Airworks- this happened intermittently and for only a few minutes at a time. Jet fuel is very expensive and testing was kept to a minimal length of time to save money. It was a sad day when Airworks packed their bags and said good-bye to Millville, tossing many dedicated workers out on the street. The bright side of the loss was that the noise stopped. The quality of live improved tremendously for the surrounding neighborhoods. Why would we want to go backwards?

For those who contend that once you have something that creates noise (airport) that you should just put up and fancy more? Suppose you go into a restaurant with a stain on your tie. Waiter comes, and while clearing the table, grabs your tie to wipe some grease from his hands. You are not amused, to put it mildly, but the waiter back in the kitchen says: “I found it ironic that he complained about the grease, when the tie was seriously stained to begin with.”

how old is NJMP? how long have the neighbors been there?
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

NJMP opened in early 2008 (or was it late 2007?). I recall our first Regional at the first (or two) tracks was '08, anyway. Neighbors have pretty much been in the area for years before that.

Attached is a KMZ file for you from Google Earth. Download it, rename it from .txt to .kmz, then open it with Google Earth. While these satellite photos do not yet show the track (current data is from August 2006, indicating just how new the track is), NJMP takes up the area southeast of the airport between it and that road intersection to the southeast. Thunder track is along Buckshutem Road, and Lightning is east of that along Co Rd 555.

According to someone on RRAX, the majority of the complaints are coming from the neighbors to the west.

GA
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is the track in compliance with zoning & sound laws? If so end of discussion.

That might be "right" but it's ultimately a losing proposition.

I'll be the first to say it in this forum, although Greg beat me to it elsewhere: There is precisely NO reason why our racing cars shouldn't be a lot quieter than they are. Not that this would make all of the complainers go away, but we aren't doing everything we can to be good neighbors.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    That might be "right" but it's ultimately a losing proposition.

I'll be the first to say it in this forum, although Greg beat me to it elsewhere: There is precisely NO reason why our racing cars shouldn't be a lot quieter than they are. Not that this would make all of the complainers go away, but we aren't doing everything we can to be good neighbors.

K
    Totally agree Kirk. The only real issue with noise rules compared to the other sorts of rules we already build to is that compliance can only be measured ON THE TRACK, which is an expensive way to do it. Not to mention the weather variations.

Still, I'd be all for tighter noise restrictions. I watched the videos on the site complaining about NJMP and I'm very sympathetic. That track needs noise restrictions or its going to be shut down.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

From this article:
    http://www.mycentraljersey.com/artic...torsports+Park

"Racetracks are exempt from state noise ordinances, but the city established a rule that said noise from the park can't exceed 80 decibels for 20 continuous minutes. Separate noise studies conducted by the park and the city's zoning officer Wayne Caregnato say the park has been in compliance with the law.

But Griffin argues the park is not excluded from the city's public nuisance ordinance, and thus must reduce the noise. Griffin said the plaintiffs hired a noise professional that shows different results than the city's and park's studies.

Griffin said the group doesn't have an exact decibel-level they think would be acceptable, but said the number is likely closer to 40 decibels."

Looks like they want the track to be quieter than a public road
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Having been thru the task of permitting a track I could not agree more that we would be better off if we ran at a lower sound level. It does not hurt the quality of racing one bit and make survival of our sport much easier. NHMS forces us to run at 100 dB so we went with that limit for our new track.
    When you start running numbers on sound it is amazing how far it travels. By the way background measurements of sound levels in rural Palmer were 42dB. Sound barriers are problematic because to be effective they must be very close to the sound source compromising safety.
    When I built a new exhaust for my Rx7 about six years ago I tried to see how quiet I could go. With presilencers the car never was over 89dB, now that the system in older it has come in as high as 93 at some events. For another data point when the Busch cars ran at Lime Rock a few years ago we measured then at 120dB.
    There is no reason we could not be racing at 85 or 90dB. I would rather pay for mufflers and testing that to have to tow an additional 5 hours to race.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

The fiirst race we went to in 2008, everyone we talked to in the area was very excited about the track and what it would do for the local community. Millville is not exactely thriving economically.........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

The "community" as a whole supports the track, Jeff. It's just a few local-to-the-track folks that are upset about the noise. Problem is, those locals tend to be pretty noisy themselves about the issue, get in peoples' faces, and cause action. "Squeaky wheel" and all that.

The Sandbox has some links to the woman driving the issue, and she's no idiot. Don't expect any changes short-term but also don't expect this issue to go away any time soon...

In her example it seems to me that it is the GT cars on track. the sound of a 500+ hp v8 is pertty distinguishable.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    In her example it seems to me that it is the GT cars on track. the sound of a 500+ hp v8 is pertty distinguishable.
    I see that as one of our big concerns. If the track is forced long term to only allow a certain amount of non-muffled events. (Like limerock) I bet we will end up paying more to keep those dates and again like other tracks our entries will need to go up. Quieter cars and doing our part as Good neighbors isn't a bad idea and maybe something we should start to look into. ..

Stephen

However alot of people, won't volunteer to purposely "possibly" slow their car down when their competitors don't.

The only way it will work is if it is mandated, and on top of that test on both sides of the track. This way you don't hav epeopel just turnign there exhuat exit depending on where the meter is.

I remember a 914 at a Chin driving event at roebling blowing around 100 on the front straight and around 100 between 2 and 3 about a foot ball field away!
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Prior to SCCA introducing their first noise limits (108 Db) I was running around 112 with megaphones on my 911. After a winter of exhaust work on the dyno, I came back with the same car and posted 93 Db and was a second faster.
    I spent a lot of time with Bill Scott at Summit Point trying to convince him to post his own track noise limits for all events (not just SCCA's events which are now 103 Db.) The marque clubs think noise if fast and we all suffer the neighbor's displeasure because of that. Bill didn't see a need since his track was grandfathered. You can tell the difference on which club is at the track easily from two miles away from Summit.
    I'm totally in support of reductions in sound levels to keep using any track facilities.
    Chuck

Noise limits won't kill the racing, and might just keep our hearing a little bit longer too...

My home track is Waterford. Sound limit is 74Db for a black flag - at the properly line, which is the top of the wall along the back straight. Note that the wall is approx 10-15' or so from the edge of the track.

Keeps a lot of people away, because they're not willing to throttle down their cars from the SCCA norm. Still have pretty good racing anyway.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I read the word "megaphone" and was reminded of the late '70s, when I attended my first SCCA Club races. The C Prod RX7s at the time ran megaphones. When they got far enough down track that you were in the cone of doom that projected out of them, you'd literally feel ill from the sound. But everything was loud - earplugs were absolutely mandatory and even at that, I've suffered some hearing loss that I attribute to that period.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    The "community" as a whole supports the track, Jeff. It's just a few local-to-the-track folks that are upset about the noise. Problem is, those locals tend to be pretty noisy themselves about the issue, get in peoples' faces, and cause action. "Squeaky wheel" and all that.

The Sandbox has some links to the woman driving the issue, and she's no idiot. Don't expect any changes short-term but also don't expect this issue to go away any time soon...
    I sent a respecful email to their website, Greg....suggesting that they might want to talk to Lime Rock and NHMS about how they deal with the problem with their respective neighbors.After
    all, LRP is surrounded by towns with lots of rich folks and has been around since 1957. Also, they ran Trans AM and Can AM
    at LRP in the 60's(TransAm at Loudon,too)....DB hell for those that hate the noise.