Thread: 2010 race groups for the I.T.SPEC*tacular

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    Screw it, put SM in Group 1 then, and have ITA in Group 3 or later for the double-dippers.

(For the record, ITA was in Group 1 last year, and that's not conducive to our Saturday night drinking. So I hereby request, on behalf of the ITA community, to not put us in Group 1 two years in a row.)
    I figured since I'm going to bee a noob I couldn't request that.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

I will
    My proposed schedule (which is worth less than $0.02):

Group 1 SM, SSM
    Group 2 ITB, ITS
    Group 3 SRF, EP, FP, HP
    Group 4 ITA, IT7, ITC
    Group 5 ITR, ITE, AS, STO, STU
    Group 6 FF, CFF, FC, CFC

Allows double dipping Miatii, makes Miata drivers and stewards happy (that was an ugly deal last year with them), and lets the majority of IT folks see each others race groups.
    Sunday morning in the rain this year was interesting, and I tried to be good and actually went to bed "early" :toast:
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Quote Originally Posted by Racerlinn View Post
    I will
    My proposed schedule (which is worth less than $0.02):

Group 1 SM, SSM
    Group 2 ITB, ITS
    Group 3 SRF, EP, FP, HP, GTL
    Group 4 ITA, IT7, ITC
    Group 6 FF, CFF, FC, CFC, FE, FM

Allows double dipping Miatii, makes Miata drivers and stewards happy (that was an ugly deal last year with them), and lets the majority of IT folks see each others race groups.
    Sunday morning in the rain this year was interesting, and I tried to be good and actually went to bed "early" :toast:
    O.K., first race meeting is over and the classes are set. So after a long pause I can say I like this order. Though I may switch group 5 and 6 since the formula group was last in 2008. Only other issue is whether the SM/SSM group will then be ruining steward lunch time both days. I guess that's better than goin' home time both evenings.

So is this the grouping then?

Group 1 SM, SSM
    Group 2 ITB, ITS
    Group 4 ITA, IT7, ITC

I'm ok with that.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    So is this the grouping then?

Group 1 SM, SSM
    Group 2 ITB, ITS
    Group 4 ITA, IT7, ITC

I'm ok with that.
    I'm thinking more like this.

Group 1 SM, SSM
    Group 2 ITB, ITS
    Group 4 ITA, IT7, ITC
    Group 5 FF, CFF, FC, CFC, FE, FM
    Group 6 ITR, ITE, AS, STO, STU

One question on double dipping, why do we generally charge so much for double dipping? Double dippers don't cost us that much in sanction and insurance do they?

I know we're trying to maximize our income, but the number of double dippers is very low.

Why don't we charge a more nominal fee like $125? Sure, profit is less per car but wouldn't a ridiculously low entry fee encourage a double dipping?

My thought is that the more cars who double dip then that pads the field. And what increases car count more than anything else? Car count. People want to race in races with big fields. Even mid-level drivers want someone to race against. So if you can get more people to double dip and this causes even 1 or 2 extra regular entries, then you've got win-win all around.

Another scenario: STU. I've thought about running STU just for the track time. But it's too expensive at the full price. If the price were $125, I might be able to convince a couple of other ITC guys to run. We wouldn't be running to win STU, but all we care about is racing each other anyway. As long as we stay out of everyone else way, we get more track time, club makes more money.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

I'd double-dip too and bring our new ITB '92 Civic DX in addition to my ITA Integra if I knew I wasn't paying 2x entry fees. I really want to see what that ITB car will do at Mid Ohio.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    One question on double dipping, why do we generally charge so much for double dipping? Double dippers don't cost us that much in sanction and insurance do they?

I know we're trying to maximize our income, but the number of double dippers is very low.

Why don't we charge a more nominal fee like $125? Sure, profit is less per car but wouldn't a ridiculously low entry fee encourage a double dipping?

My thought is that the more cars who double dip then that pads the field. And what increases car count more than anything else? Car count. People want to race in races with big fields. Even mid-level drivers want someone to race against. So if you can get more people to double dip and this causes even 1 or 2 extra regular entries, then you've got win-win all around.

Another scenario: STU. I've thought about running STU just for the track time. But it's too expensive at the full price. If the price were $125, I might be able to convince a couple of other ITC guys to run. We wouldn't be running to win STU, but all we care about is racing each other anyway. As long as we stay out of everyone else way, we get more track time, club makes more money.
    Sounds like a good idea. My only concern would be keeping the refunds straight.

To clarify it would have to be the same car/ same driver dbl. dipping in two classes. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    My understanding of the situation:

The sanction fee (a base fee then $15 per entry over 150 entries) is per race entry, so we have to pay twice for double-dippers. We still have to pay the same amount for track rental, ambulance, wrecker, etc., so there's no cost savings there to the host region.

The insurance is $29.50 per car for the weekend, so double-dipping gives us a break there. Ostensibly a double-dipper still consumes one entry's worth of alcohol & food at the Saturday social, so there COULD be a savings there as well.

At the 2009 ARRC by GRM we offered a discount of $25-$50 to people running multiple races (Sprints, Three Hour, Bonus race) with the same car, except for the Pro-IT. Since half the Pro-IT entry fee is returned to the racers in the form of prize money, we don't offer Pro-IT combination discounts. We did not offer "true" double-dipping discounts (ITA & SM, for instance), but I'll have to think about it. The numbers don't support a $100+ discount, however, particularly since the driver gets the benefit of more track time and/or being able to split travel costs with a buddy.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Just a thought, since IT cars can run in STU I would consider not grouping STU in any group with IT. That would allow Two drivers to enter the same car in different groups giving you a potential bump in entries.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by jhooten View Post
    Just a thought, since IT cars can run in STU I would consider not grouping STU in any group with IT. That would allow Two drivers to enter the same car in different groups giving you a potential bump in entries.
    I agree! I'd love to run both ITE and STU, but since they're in the same run group that makes it a bit difficult.
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

Dan: You want to run ITC, ITE and STU??????????????
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBill View Post
    Dan: You want to run ITC, ITE and STU??????????????
    No, just ITE & STU. My car's not classed in ITC.
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

Quote Originally Posted by dhardison View Post
    No, just ITE & STU. My car's not classed in ITC.
    I think Bill has you confused with the ITC Hardison that posts also.