Thread: Strut Housing Needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Strut Housing Needed

Jeffrey and I ran into a snag with the strut housings on the Z. The right hand housing had a stock strut stuck in it. After about 3 hours of cutting, welding pieces on for the slide hammer, heating, cussing, air impact, and lots of other things we got it out of the housing. Then we cut the housing to shorten it but once done we fould the new Koni yellow strut won't fit into the tube by 0.01" of an inch. The strut tube happens to be a bit undersized. So, we need another right hand strut tube. Anyone have one to sell?
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 01-01-2010 at 07:00 PM.

When I put a new strut in my Rx I have to sand all the paint the koni and then grease it. Don’t know if that would work for you.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I'm not sure either. It is a hard stop and Jeffrey measured it at around 0.01". If it was something like 0.002" or so I could see sanding and beating helping out, but not sure it will here. But, it is something we should try.

Default honing......

Several pounds can be saved using the 240 strut tubes......if you aren't using it already......... Honing out may work, if it is clearing the threads...

David
    30 year old ITS car

I'm not sure what we have right now, 240, 260, 280 - we don't care too much as the car is going to be overweight no matter what we do. Hard for a 225 lb driver to make weight in one of these things!

We tried honing but can't get enough material off the inside of the tube. We'll go back and look at sanding the hell out of the strut, but not sure that is going to do much. Anyone have any spare strut tubes let us know.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    I'm not sure what we have right now, 240, 260, 280 - we don't care too much as the car is going to be overweight no matter what we do. Hard for a 225 lb driver to make weight in one of these things!

We tried honing but can't get enough material off the inside of the tube. We'll go back and look at sanding the hell out of the strut, but not sure that is going to do much. Anyone have any spare strut tubes let us know.

R
    Will the struts you have fit anything but a 260 strut tube? I can't remember if they all use the same cartridges.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Ron, we probably have 240 strut tubes, but don't have 260z units. I wouldn't be able to check until probably Tuesday evening. Let me know if you want me to check, and I'll go through the warehouses.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."