Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2010 GCR now available

Any sponsor deal for club racing, national or regional is a good thing, especially with the economy as it is. Thank you Saferacer and SCCA!

Anybody else think that the head and neck thing has a couple people with a case of the red a$$? I am not happy with it, but I will be honest and say that I have been considering buying one. Hard to justify when I am lucky to get my two races in to keep my license, but I have thought that I would feel pretty stupid standing at the pearly gates justifying not wearing one.

Mike

Greg, I am going to take a guess that what you said was well spoken and relevant.
    SCCA & SAFERACER should have had you draft the PR release.

How about this...Lets hold back on damning the deal until we see how it works one time. If it is not a good deal don't do it again. Like I said I think the free stickers are worth it. I will be using them instead of buying the old ones. You guys that win certificates that don't want them can PM me. And good luck to you I will be pulling for you.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Or we can reserve judgement like Dick has asked us too until we find out the full story.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS View Post
    Greg, I am going to take a guess that what you said was well spoken and relevant.
    SCCA & SAFERACER should have had you draft the PR release.

How about this...Lets hold back on damning the deal until we see how it works one time. If it is not a good deal don't do it again. Like I said I think the free stickers are worth it. I will be using them instead of buying the old ones. You guys that win certificates that don't want them can PM me. And good luck to you I will be pulling for you.
    I'm glad for you, Mac, that you think these issues are so entertaining. I'm just hoping there will be lots of UN-happy icons for you to whip out when deficiencies in those silly things some of us "tinkerers" have argued for - repeatability, transparency, objectivity, communication, equity - contribute to some decision crapping in your personal little punchbowl...

When you get told to buy a new SFI seat, you might start to realize maybe it's NOT all about the Isaac...?

Or when the ITA Miata gets lead because a couple finish 1-2 at the ARRC, MAYBE a transparent, repeatable weight specification process won't seem like such a bad thing...?

Or when some stand-alone ECU manufacturer makes a sweetheart sponsorship deal with the Club, and a tech inspector tells you that contractual obligations mean you've got to replace the DIYAutoTune.com stickers on your car with their logo? Maybe it would be nice to have some transparency beyond, "Hey, trust us - we're Board members...!"

K

don't you guys have anything better to complain about?

i know charlie and mike pretty well, probably better than anyone else in this thread. they're better people than 99% of the population who are looking to do nothing but HELP the club. they have been sponsoring SCCA amatuer and pro drivers, our local REGIONAL series, advertising in the GCR, offering discounts to SM competitors, etc

it takes a special kind of person to be pissed off about the club being able to gain a series sponsor in a time when the entire industry is just trying to keep its head above water.

yeah i'm disappointed in plenty of things the BOD has done lately, but this certainly isn't one of them.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

...AND you're missing the point, Travis. I don't think anyone here is being critical of SafeRacer. I certainly haven't.

K

so the club botched the communication of this, big F'ing deal. what's new?

i have a hard time seeing why we should be mad at the club for securing up the same thing we praise SR for offering.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Kirk,
    If a miata wins the ITA ARRC race I would expect it to be a 1-2 finish... they will have to be a two car train all the way. "IF" weight got thrown on the car then I would have to use a frowny icon, but so what. Did they throw weight on the Honda / Accuras after their wins? As far as your example about the ECU, no one is telling anyone to take anything other than their old SCCA stickers off their cars.

I think you guys mean well, maybe it is just the presentation that always seems to come across as fingernails on a blackboard. Maybe someone from the Upper Right Coast sees the same thing and thinks you guys are being positive....it must be something lost in the translation.
    Mac Spikes

No Mac, they are being negative. Some things bother some more than others. We will find out the whole plan soon and we can bitch and moan about it then (especially because we are Regional only guys and it has ZERO effect on us).

If it's no good, its no good. But we just don't know yet.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackaman View Post
    Any sponsor deal for club racing, national or regional is a good thing, especially with the economy as it is. Thank you Saferacer and SCCA!

Anybody else think that the head and neck thing has a couple people with a case of the red a$$? I am not happy with it, but I will be honest and say that I have been considering buying one. Hard to justify when I am lucky to get my two races in to keep my license, but I have thought that I would feel pretty stupid standing at the pearly gates justifying not wearing one.

Mike
    Mike....I felt the same way...and have now changed my mind. There is a pretty convincing thread from a retiring BOd member on the apexspeed forum re: the insurance implications if the club didn't pass this mandate. I choose to wear a HANS(and thought that H&N's should be a choice for all...not mandated, but looking at the potential liability issues for a club with not so deep pockets, I now believe it makes sense.

As regards the new national sticker, as Andy says...it doesn't affect us in regional racing. I guess any sponsorship we have(short of terrorists)is a good thing. The only terrorists we have in ITA are Flatout...and only because they are so good they put fear in out hearts....LOL. I have a rear facing radar detector in my RX7 so that I can pull over when I hear Andy coming.....LOL.

My only complaint with the new national sticker is....will folks be black flagged because the Saferacer logo is bigger than the SCCA logo and corner workers think it didn't go through tech?
    Last edited by BruceG; 01-04-2010 at 09:21 AM.

So, if I am going to run the car in both ITE and EP do I have to have both sets of stickers on the car?
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

No. Required on National. Optional on Regional.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Robert I am not aiming this at you any more than myself and the rest on here, but....

You stated what we all say, but should insted should do.
    "SCCA should do............."
    WE ARE SCCA if we think it is so easy to secure a much better sponsor deal I am sure that the folks in TOPEKA would welcome most any great deal we could bring.
    Members of the club have endless contacts, if they would work with Topeka to cultivate and make partnerships with said contacts things migh be better.

And before you ask my best contact in the automotive game was Charlie at Saferacer!
    Mac Spikes

i chuckle at Roberts response.

as if he wouldn't just LOVE to sponsor national racing so he could get his hands on that email list of SCCA members.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I personally won't lose any sleep over this But.... look at rally america and I think you will see an example of what scca could do... team up with companies and people that get us exposure and then watch the membership grow. This sponsorship looks like it has nothing to do with long term improvement for the members and is rather just a short term benifit some will enjoy. Either way it doesn't benifit or hurt me so I see no reason to get all worked up about it.

I would like to add that things are very tough right now for all of us. SCCA is trying hard and I believe this will be in our best interests. We have to be thankful that a company like Saferacer will step up to the plate to help us. Be patient....this thing can turn out to be very good.....I believe there is more to it that we can not see right now but in the end we will all benefit in some way.
    Last edited by Robert Zecca; 01-04-2010 at 06:10 PM.
    Proud sponsor of the TEAMDI PROIT SERIES and F2000 CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

After scanning through this thread I have to say I'm a little confused. Are folks thinking because Saferacer has offered to sponsor the National Series that we racers are required to buy from them? I purchase from the best suppliers and I'm sure I've bought from just about all of them, including Saferacer. Their sponsorship, in this economy is nothing to curl up our collective noses at. I'd say it's downright welcome. I read someone say that this wouldn't benefit all racers, That it would only benefit a few, isn't that the competition we all crave? Last time I looked there were no guarantees about winning but you have every opportunity to try. I'm going to read more of these threads but so far I don't see anything to complain about.

Welcome Saferacer and thanks for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS View Post
    Kirk,
    If a miata wins the ITA ARRC race I would expect it to be a 1-2 finish... they will have to be a two car train all the way. "IF" weight got thrown on the car then I would have to use a frowny icon, but so what. Did they throw weight on the Honda / Accuras after their wins?
    Minor point of order, the CRX has been at the front od the ARRC train and the IT-Fest train, has taken numerous wins, and hasn't seen an ounce of weight thrown at it. (Actually, a CRX owner approached me asking for a weight break (or weight on other cars) because, as he stated", Time has passed the CRX, it needs help".)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Default sigh

Thanks to SafeRacer for the sponsorship! It's hard to get sponsorships for lower-level road racing and it's great to see SafeRacer putting some money out there for us. Thanks!
    -----------
    '89 RX-7 ITS