Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new 260Z is born - Jeffrey R's 260Z

Default A new 260Z is born - Jeffrey R's 260Z

Well, a new 260Z build has started with Jeffrey Roussel pulling is excellently-caged 260Z out of hiding and starting work. We've done a lot of sanding, welding, grinding, patching, and we're hoping to go to paint in a day or two.

Here are a few shots, including one I know my home owners's association will love that has the tub and chassis on dolly with parts strewn all around the yard to dry overnight.

Smile

And a few more:

Cool!! Another Datsun!!

Keep us posted on the build and would you guys like to come to my house and help me get mine ready for paint??
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Ron did you have a senior moment while welding?

Nice project.
    Steven Frederick
    NER

ITA Miata-24

Naw, that's Jeffrey. I'm the guy taking the pictures. Jeff Young was also over ambling about with Ed the Dog but didn't have pics of either of them.

I wouldn't call it born. More like the egg was taken out of the freezer and fertilized.

I won't call it born until I fire it up and it moves under its own power.
    Jeff Roussel
    Soon to be ITS Datsun 260z

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
    Ron did you have a senior moment while welding?

Nice project.
    Not a senior moment, that was sparks burning the top of my head. The senior moment happen several years ago when I decide to build a Z car rather that by a built and running race car.
    Jeff Roussel

All good stuff you guys. I am just jealous that you are outside working on race cars and although it was 50 today the weather supposed to turn into the teens at night this week.

Keep the pics coming of the project.
    Steven Frederick
    NER

ITA Miata-24

Thinking of painting it orange with either white stripes down the side like this or white racing strips running over the hood and roof.

Any other ideas for color are welcome, I am talking to the painter tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff Roussel

Ohhh crap!!! This is giving me nasty flashbacks to our rebuild from this past summer! I just did get the scent of metal grindings and argon out of my system. That's looking good Jeff, and congrats. Doing a z won't feel like a senior moment once you're out on track. That cage looks good. Did you guys do it?? Has some similarities to our cage. I keep meaning to post some pics on here from our build, so I'll try to do that this week. I look forward to seeing more of yours on here. Good luck with the paintwork!
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Chris Schimmel at Competition Cages did the cage. It's a good cage.

Jeff R. and Ron E. have been working their tails off on the car, I mostly just drag it around (which I am fine with). This one is going to be built RIGHT from the shell up, so we'll see what it does.

These are such simple cars.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Forgive the threadjack (the project looks cool, BTW!) but might I inquire why you guys are going for the 260z, versus the 240? I understand the extra displacement, and I'd imagine there's more flexibility with carbs vs. the injection on the 280, but I have nightmares of tuning the carbs on my dad's 260 as a child. . whereas the 240 was a relative breeze. What am I missing?
    steamcorners.com

Cheap import parts!

Quote Originally Posted by Steam Corners View Post
    Forgive the threadjack (the project looks cool, BTW!) but might I inquire why you guys are going for the 260z, versus the 240? I understand the extra displacement, and I'd imagine there's more flexibility with carbs vs. the injection on the 280, but I have nightmares of tuning the carbs on my dad's 260 as a child. . whereas the 240 was a relative breeze. What am I missing?

Most of the english su guys I've talked to actually prefer the HIF carbs. They feel they can make a bit more power with them. They are just not as well understood. As to why more people are running 260's vs. 240's these days, I think it has more to do with the relative availability of a decent chassis at a decent price. Good 240 chassis are getting hard to find and are going for pretty good $. If we ever do another ground-up build we are going 280. At its current weight, that is the z chassis to run. Especially with the ECU rule opening up. My next choice would be a 260 with the extra displacement followed by a 240.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Chris Schimmel at Competition Cages did the cage. It's a good cage.

Jeff R. and Ron E. have been working their tails off on the car, I mostly just drag it around (which I am fine with). This one is going to be built RIGHT from the shell up, so we'll see what it does.

These are such simple cars.

You should be right around min weight if that's 1.5" tubing in the cage. We are a bit over 240 min, but Tim and I could both stand to lose a few pounds, plus we are real heavy on wheels/tires. We also have a couple extra braces in the cage running from the bend in the main hoop up to the rear shock mount that I think Jeff's cage doesn't have. Hard to tell in the pics. The cage is very similar though with the way the main hoop pinches in. We liked the way that tied into the chassis by the old seatbelt mount. Looks like it's gonna be a great car. And your right about how simple the cars are. As we redid ours we kept saying that over and over again. And amazingly they are still pretty fast. Good luck!
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

This car got built because, well, we owned it. We had a decent chassis laying around, and Ron was already running a 260 so it made some sense.

That said, as noted above, the flattop carbs aren't that bad once you get them sorted, and the 260 makes a bit more power with a fatter torque curve than a 240z. Not quite as many revs though.

All in all, I think a to the hilt build on a 260z will be just as fast as a 240z. Plus, the chassis are just cheaper as they are not yet really sought after.

On the other hand, I think the 280zx -- 4 wheel discs and all - is the Z car to build from the ground up. Probably more so than the 280z, just due to the brakes.

All Z cars can be competitive, still, in ITS though.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Jeff I am pretty sure there is a 12 step program we all need to be in. I just get to step 1 and say my name and my race car addiction and then quit going and buy another car. Seems to work for you and Ron as well. Good luck on the build. Just taking a break from the RX8 as I type.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

It is an addiction. I'm actually really looking forward to Ron's ITR car (probably a few years off) -- a strip down and build up that is done RIGHT. Both the TR8 and the existing 260z are sort of frankenracecars, pieced together by different folks over time.

Jeff R.'s 260z is a testament to commitment. That boy has had a lot of stuff get in the way of racing, but he keeps chipping away at it and we are actually starting to get close. It's cool to see.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Some more werk.

Ron, Jeff R, Jeff Y, I notice you don't have any camber plates in there yet. I just picked up a batch from the laser guy. I can hook you up for a lot less than the alternatives. Definately want to get those in before you paint the chassis. I don't know what equipment you have, but I just got a plasma cutter last fall that will make the rears a breeze compared to the others I have done with drills and sawsalls. A torch will also work, but it is amazing how thick the rear strut towers are! Call me, I can send you a set quick, 704-472-3302.

Mike

Smile

Hey Mike,

PM or Email Jeffrey (jrvisual) direct. I am pretty sure he has some camber plates already, but not 100% certain.

This car actually has parts from all over. To list but a few:

Earp - parts from the Jensen Healey, guages, and his own 260Z stash
    Young - gauges, extra Z parts, brake parts, and other assorted
    Parrish - headers, wheels, some other parts
    Spillman - indirectly some wheels
    Diffenbaugh - some 260Z carbs and manifolds
    MARS Z guy - carbs, cell, spoiler, few other things

So it is somewhat of a community IT car in a way!