Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tow Vehicle, what should I get?

I have a 95 F-350 with a polar ice cap depleting 460 gas hog... ...this thing gets 8 mph whether towing a fully loaded tandem axle trailer, coasting down Mount Everest or pushed out of a C-130. If I'm towing up an incline, I routinely get passed by Prius's, unicycles, wheelchairs and grandmother's with walkers. This thing can't get out of its own way...

I like the Fords for towing. I just bought two Class A RVs - the first had a Chevy 454 carb motor - drove it around and thought it could pull an open trailer - tested it out loaded and I know the trans would die - only a three speed. Selling that RV before I kill it towing.

Bought a second RV with the Ford 460 EFI and a Banks system with the trans commander. What a difference - this will pull an open trailer without too much heartburn. A big point is having the Banks Trans commander - that will save the tranny. I plan on installing a temp sensor just to be sure I don't melt anything.

I also tow with a 2003 Ford F350 V10. That pulled my 26 foot enclosed no problem. The trailer weighed about 9,000 loaded. Put it in cruise and it would drop to third on the steeper grades - always got about 8 mpg towing, 10 mpg unloaded.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    I like the Fords for towing. I just bought two Class A RVs - the first had a Chevy 454 carb motor - drove it around and thought it could pull an open trailer - tested it out loaded and I know the trans would die - only a three speed. Selling that RV before I kill it towing.

Bought a second RV with the Ford 460 EFI and a Banks system with the trans commander. What a difference - this will pull an open trailer without too much heartburn. A big point is having the Banks Trans commander - that will save the tranny. I plan on installing a temp sensor just to be sure I don't melt anything.

I also tow with a 2003 Ford F350 V10. That pulled my 26 foot enclosed no problem. The trailer weighed about 9,000 loaded. Put it in cruise and it would drop to third on the steeper grades - always got about 8 mpg towing, 10 mpg unloaded.
    Ben neglected to tell you that there are 15 strippers and their gear in the trailer and even a CAT diesel couldn't pull it ...LOL

Thanks for all the good input guys. I'm considering all of it.

Is 4wd really that important. Llime rock and wgi are pretty much completely paved.
    Drew

I don't own either of these suggestions, but if I were doing the tow truck thing all over again I'd look for either a Ford 250/350 diesel 2wd six speed (rare, it'll be at least seven years old and in your budget), or a Dodge 2500/3500 diesel 2wd six speed (not as rare as the Ford).

Where I live 4WD is not required thus eliminating it removes weight and complexity (plus lowers the ride height to a reasonable level for a short guy), and maybe that is the same for you. Simple, proven, and durable.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-30-2009 at 09:52 AM.

I am towing a 24 footer packed full of crap with a 5 year old Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 with a Hemi. I bought new with the towing and plowing packages. I would love to have the diesel but do not be afraid of the gas motor. It is faster up hills than Greg’s V10 E350 and way faster that my buddy’s 350 Chevy half ton even when he is using the open trailer.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I rely on 4X4 a bit. Grassy paddocks can turn into muddy paddocks and with a nose heavy diesel, I often grab the 4X4 lever.

The only time I've ever needed 4WD was to use our diesel Excursion to pull a Class A motorhome and its 40-foot trailer out of the muck at Pocono...

Greg, if I get stuck I'm looking for you, bro!!!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

4X4 where we live is not needed, and is an expensive option on the Ram.

It's pretty easy to locate 6speed manual Rams, and the pre 04 ones go for just under 10k right now. Great engine, decent truck.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    4X4 where we live is not needed, and is an expensive option on the Ram.
    And it isn't needed for most folks. If every Billybob wasn't convinced they had to have four wheel drive to have a manly truck then Ford/Dodge/GM would be producing a lot less of them and the 2WD versions would be more abundant. But nooooooooo......pretty much all my truck loving redneck friends are convinced that no 4x4 = no truck, even though they'll willingly admit they rarely/never use the four wheel drive and could get by with out it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    And it isn't needed for most folks. If every Billybob wasn't convinced they had to have four wheel drive to have a manly truck then Ford/Dodge/GM would be producing a lot less of them and the 2WD versions would be more abundant. But nooooooooo......pretty much all my truck loving redneck friends are convinced that no 4x4 = no truck, even though they'll willingly admit they rarely/never use the four wheel drive and could get by with out it.
    I could care less about it being manly. If I can get by without it, I'd rather save weight. It broadens the candidate pool too. This is why I asked:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    The only time I've ever needed 4WD was to use our diesel Excursion to pull a Class A motorhome and its 40-foot trailer out of the muck at Pocono...
    Greg, where do you paddock? I've always been on the pavement somewhat close to the garages. It sounds like I won't really need it with 'just' a 20footer.

I agree: no 4WD needed. Plus, the 4WD in trucks is not very usable except in extreme conditions.

But as Ron pointed out, there are far more 4WD opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by THawkbh View Post
    Greg, where do you paddock? I've always been on the pavement somewhat close to the garages. It sounds like I won't really need it with 'just' a 20footer.
    This was in '09, we were outside the fence in the North Course area. There were rains the prior weekend and a Class A decided he wanted to cross from one asphalt lane to the other through the grass in a depressed area. Didn't make it...

Nice thing about getting stuck in a race paddock: it doesn't happen very often, especially if you plan ahead, but there's always someone there that can pull you out.
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 12-31-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Nice thing about getting stuck in a race paddock: it doesn't happen very often, especially if you plan ahead, but there's always someone there that can pull you out.
    Exactly. I've been using my 2wd truck for five years now and have left many a soaked paddock with it. If you use some common sense, even when on grass and mud, you'll be fine. Don't under estimate how much extra traction you get with a 1200 lbs of tongue weight on the rear axle.

I do have a LSD in my truck but I don't think that has really made a difference for me. And, I do have big fat performance tires, not truck tires, and still do fine. At least down South I don't think 4WD is a requirement at all.

I enjoy my tow truck but the only thing I'd change about it would be to make it a manual transmission. I enjoy driving Jeff's Dodge with the six speed, tis fun.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-31-2009 at 09:39 AM.

I don't need 4wd and the only reason I have it is that after a searching the local area(up to 200 miles) for several months I found exactly 1 2wd Duramax/Allison combo and it was not a crew cab. So I bought a 4wd Crew Cab that had everything else I wanted.

I use the new 350 dually Fords at work, and IMHO, nice trucks, suck fuel down like you wouldn't believe, and are not very comfortable for long trips. Ride quality is ok but I think the Powerstroke's mentioned would be a much better tow vehicle.

Good luck with your search as any of the recommendations will serve you well.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Not my trucks but here's my experience.

I've driven 95-96 Ford F450's with the 7.3L Power Stroke with 6 speed and couldn't kill them. I pulled loads up to 26K gross and while slow it pulled the load.

I don't remember the year (Somewhere between 2000-2003) but have also driven a Dodge with the Cummings and 6 speed pulling a 45ft 5th wheels trailer. This truck impressed me, I was able to maintain 65 mph up hill with the trailer lightly loaded. I also drove the Dodge empty at highway speeds (60-80 mph) and got 20 mpg!

I prefer a Ford overall but for the price I just might buy a Dodge if and when I am in the market for a newer tow vehicle.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Ram/Cummins fuel mileage is pretty good. I get 18-19 mpg without the trailer. 13-14 with depending on how fast I tow. They are decent trucks with a great motor.

Ditto on the stuck in the paddock stuff. If you just pay attention, at least at VIR/CMP/Roebling, you won't get in trouble.

The big thing about my truck and 4x4 that I truly HATE is the damn bed is like 5 feet in the air. Hard to get stuff in and out of it.

You can find 2500/3500 Ram/Cummins trucks without 4X4 pretty easily. Guys who are serious about towing like them and that same crowd likes the 2x4 for the fifth wheel since it lowers the bed down.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

How are the transmissions in the Dodges? Chrysler isn't exactly known for their long lasting trannys.
    Do you burn through clutches towing with a manual? I feel like I would go through a clutch pretty quick.
    Drew

As I understand it, the older 5 speeds (pre 98) are pretty weak. Then, the NV5600 (New Venture) came on line in 98 and had some input shaft issues that were corrected in 00. Dodge used this tranny until 2005 and it has a good reputation for reliability.

In 06, they switched to a Mercedes unit that is bulletproof. I've got nearly 50k miles of towing with no issues. The Cummins Ram boards have plenty of guys who went 150k on the stock clutch.

The automatics are actually weak up until 06 or 07, I can't remember which, and are to be avoided. They are the units that gave Mopar that bad name as far as trannies go.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Scratch all of that. I have made a disovery. Voila....the perfect tow vehicle:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/19...West-Group.htm
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8