Thread: Tow Vehicle, what should I get?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tow Vehicle, what should I get?

I'm looking to pick up a tow vehicle. The trailer is a 20ft enclosed so I'm looking for a pickup truck, not a suburban/excursion, etc. I want something that has got a real strong transmission. I'd rather not have to replace it every 3 years. That being said, I think it would be smartest to buy a truck that hasn't been used to tow with in the past. I'd like to keep the cost under 10k. I was thinking an F150/250 or a chevy/gmc 2500. I'm no truck guy so I know nothing about which models are best for towing, which are weak, and how they differ from year to year. Can anyone provide some advice?

Thanks
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by THawkbh View Post
    I'm looking to pick up a tow vehicle. The trailer is a 20ft enclosed so I'm looking for a pickup truck, not a suburban/excursion, etc. I want something that has got a real strong transmission. I'd rather not have to replace it every 3 years. That being said, I think it would be smartest to buy a truck that hasn't been used to tow with in the past. I'd like to keep the cost under 10k. I was thinking an F150/250 or a chevy/gmc 2500. I'm no truck guy so I know nothing about which models are best for towing, which are weak, and how they differ from year to year. Can anyone provide some advice?

Thanks
    Merry Xmas...I have a 2002 HD2500 Chevy truck with an 8' bed and cap. It has an 8.1L 494(LOL) and a 4spd Allison tranny. Been great so far and didn't break the bank. Has the towing package, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    Merry Xmas...I have a 2002 HD2500 Chevy truck with an 8' bed and cap. It has an 8.1L 494(LOL) and a 4spd Allison tranny. Been great so far and didn't break the bank. Has the towing package, as well.
    Would I be able to pick one up for under 10k? That's a diesel, no? I think diesels are running a little out of my range right now.

Merry Christmas everyone
    Last edited by THawkbh; 12-25-2009 at 10:46 AM.

2500 Chevy Avalanche! I have a 2002 Avalanche 1500 Z71 for towing my open trailer (and snowmobile trailer) and it's been running all over the northeast for many years. Best truck I have ever owned!
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

Would I be able to pick one up for under 10k? That's a diesel, no? I think diesels are running a little out of my range right now.
    8.1L (496ci, actually) is a gas motor, the last of the Chevy big blocks. Available in the 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks (2500/3500), and the 3/4-ton Suburbans and Avalanches (2500). Beast of a motor, I have one in a Suburban, and I absolutely love towing the 8,000lb trailer with it.

And yes, they can be had for under $10K. Look for something in the model years 2000-2006, although I think the later years might be out of the price range unless they have super-high miles.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    8.1L (496ci, actually) is a gas motor, the last of the Chevy big blocks. Available in the 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks (2500/3500), and the 3/4-ton Suburbans and Avalanches (2500). Beast of a motor, I have one in a Suburban, and I absolutely love towing the 8,000lb trailer with it.

And yes, they can be had for under $10K. Look for something in the model years 2000-2006, although I think the later years might be out of the price range unless they have super-high miles.
    Oh no kiddin? That's good news. Most ads dont mention engine size. Do you know what I should look for as far as vin codes?

What tow packages should I look for? I've never been quite sure about the tow packages. Sometimes it seems like the dealer just threw on a hitch, other times it seems like the truck might have the load leveling feature.

How is the mileage while towing; anything above 10mpg?
    Drew

I have a good friend that tows his DSR with a 20' enclosed using the same spec'd truck that BruceG has for sale. IT is a beast and he gets around 9 mpg when towing. I use a 2500, 4wd, 6.5' bed Diesel and Allison 4 speed auto. I tow a 24' enclosed and get ~12 or a little less if I go above 70 mph.

FWIW, if you look at a 2500 Chevy or GMC make sure you get either the 8.1l gas engine or the 6.6 Diesel and the Allison tranny. You can then tow just about anything you might want to tow.

There are some pretty good buys out there as well.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

I have a 95 F-350 with a polar ice cap depleting 460 gas hog... ...this thing gets 8 mph whether towing a fully loaded tandem axle trailer, coasting down Mount Everest or pushed out of a C-130. If I'm towing up an incline, I routinely get passed by Prius's, unicycles, wheelchairs and grandmother's with walkers. This thing can't get out of its own way...

I like the Fords for towing. I just bought two Class A RVs - the first had a Chevy 454 carb motor - drove it around and thought it could pull an open trailer - tested it out loaded and I know the trans would die - only a three speed. Selling that RV before I kill it towing.

Bought a second RV with the Ford 460 EFI and a Banks system with the trans commander. What a difference - this will pull an open trailer without too much heartburn. A big point is having the Banks Trans commander - that will save the tranny. I plan on installing a temp sensor just to be sure I don't melt anything.

I also tow with a 2003 Ford F350 V10. That pulled my 26 foot enclosed no problem. The trailer weighed about 9,000 loaded. Put it in cruise and it would drop to third on the steeper grades - always got about 8 mpg towing, 10 mpg unloaded.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    I like the Fords for towing. I just bought two Class A RVs - the first had a Chevy 454 carb motor - drove it around and thought it could pull an open trailer - tested it out loaded and I know the trans would die - only a three speed. Selling that RV before I kill it towing.

Bought a second RV with the Ford 460 EFI and a Banks system with the trans commander. What a difference - this will pull an open trailer without too much heartburn. A big point is having the Banks Trans commander - that will save the tranny. I plan on installing a temp sensor just to be sure I don't melt anything.

I also tow with a 2003 Ford F350 V10. That pulled my 26 foot enclosed no problem. The trailer weighed about 9,000 loaded. Put it in cruise and it would drop to third on the steeper grades - always got about 8 mpg towing, 10 mpg unloaded.
    Ben neglected to tell you that there are 15 strippers and their gear in the trailer and even a CAT diesel couldn't pull it ...LOL

Thanks for all the good input guys. I'm considering all of it.

Is 4wd really that important. Llime rock and wgi are pretty much completely paved.
    Drew

I don't own either of these suggestions, but if I were doing the tow truck thing all over again I'd look for either a Ford 250/350 diesel 2wd six speed (rare, it'll be at least seven years old and in your budget), or a Dodge 2500/3500 diesel 2wd six speed (not as rare as the Ford).

Where I live 4WD is not required thus eliminating it removes weight and complexity (plus lowers the ride height to a reasonable level for a short guy), and maybe that is the same for you. Simple, proven, and durable.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-30-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Steal of a deal on this truck here. (If he still has it. Had it a few weeks ago.)

http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=18525

Same guy built the motor that's in my car, and is a pretty straight-up guy. He's parted ways with his partners in the shop, and they are looking to get rid of all the assets.

99 F250 7.3L 2WD with work boxes on the back for $3K.
    Truck's located in southern Ontario.

wow that does look like a really great deal. that's a 9 hour drive away though.
    Drew

wow that does look like a really great deal. that's a 9 hour drive away though for a great truck for only $3000, which means I could buy a SouthWest Airlines ticket and go pick it up, drive it back home, and save thousands!!!
    Fixed.

What Greg said. I would have bought it my self in a second (it hurt me to post it for somebody else) but where I live, I really do need 4WD. (Tow vehicle also serves as winter beater, and a 2WD truck isn't making it around very well where I live.)

Actually what I would do is fly to ontario and then drive straight to michigan to pick up the car.
    Drew