Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: January Fastrack

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    I know what you mean about exit window size. Some of the halo seats give you very little room to get out if you sit close to the wheel. We had the same problem with some of the drivers in the GT cars and went with the Sparco slider as it is a FIA style captive design slider. I have seen them take some serious hits including Nick Hams cart wheel at miller and come out intact. One big bar in the front slides the seat back quick. We have them in our cars now. Don't get me wrong, I think you should be able to use the device you choose but lawyers (sorry Jeff Y) have screwed up the reliance on personal responsibility.
    In talking with seat manufacturers at PRI, I learned a new FIA standard is forthcoming. Racetech seats (?) (Australian) told me there is no way they can pass the test without back support. So, depending on sanctioning bodies adoption of the standards, sliders may become a thing of the past.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

FIA 8862-2009

Seats started to be used in WRC this year.

* Integral head & shoulder restraint
    * seat life up to 10 years
    * load tested on specific parts of the seat (head, shoulder, pelvis) instead of just a load test with a dummy.

Looks like a good improvement for seats. I'll look for one of these to replace my FIA 8855-1999 RaceTech.

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    In talking with seat manufacturers at PRI, I learned a new FIA standard is forthcoming. Racetech seats (?) (Australian) told me there is no way they can pass the test without back support. So, depending on sanctioning bodies adoption of the standards, sliders may become a thing of the past.

my slider system has a shoulder support that disengages when you pull the seat lever. Still has a lock so it will meet the new standard. Engineers have too much time on our hands.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    my slider system has a shoulder support that disengages when you pull the seat lever. Still has a lock so it will meet the new standard. Engineers have too much time on our hands.
    Very nice. beyond the desire/capability/affordability of most racers, though, I'm afraid. Which is too bad, because it means the egress area gets reduced. (And for guys like me, my seat is pretty fab back, reclined and on the floor in order to give me enough space to fit. barely. As it stands, it's a bit of folding to get me in with teh door open,...

Speaking of too much time on your hands....picture? wink wink. Exhaust...nudge nudge..
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackaman View Post
    This infatuation the world has developed with political correctness is taking us to hell in a handbag. And that bus is being driven by lawyers. I like and respect a large number of lawyers. The actions of the few should not spoil the reputation of the whole. It all comes down to personal accountability. A lawyer who files a frivolous law suit should be stomped just like someone who does something incredibly stupid should be held accountable. A business that can't make it should go under, and those who can run a business profitably should reap the rewards. As much as that crowd in Washington refuses to believe it, right is right, wrong is wrong, it always has been, it always will be!

Mike
    agreed!

class action lawsuit re: ford explorer netted the lawyers $25 million and only $37,500 in redeemed coupouns for owners;

http://overlawyered.com/2009/07/few-...reap-millions/
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL