Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TST - ITR Mustang Acquired

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    Chris, doesn't your car still have much of the rear stock exhaust? You could loose all of the xtra piping there, just run to dynomax small diameters under the car midway back with turndowns, that should save another 10-15lbs possibly.
    That's all gone now. Double pipes/mufflers replaced with singles and the cats have been deleted. The exhaust changes lost me about 35 pounds. I also chucked the manifolds for long tubes.

BillF: Be careful if you swap to long tube headers. I bought off-the-shelf headers from Pacesetter and they hung about 2.4 inches off the ground. I had a race shop modify them to get them up another inch. A better bet is to have customs made for your car as there is alot of room under the floorpan for maximum clearance.

Ron: My cage weighs a bit more than most. I have very tight fitments to maximize safety. In fact, with the doors closed you might be hard pressed to see the cage in the car unless you got real close. McMahan Autosports near Akron, OH built my cage. They're recoginized as one of the finest cage builders in this region. They build cages for several Koni and World Challenge teams.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

BillF: Be careful if you swap to long tube headers. I bought off-the-shelf headers from Pacesetter and they hung about 2.4 inches off the ground. I had a race shop modify them to get them up another inch.
    I saw these headers online for less than $200 for new ones.
    Does anyone else make headers for the V6 car?

155 lbs, wow I wish! at 6 ft 250 I got some room to lose weight......haha.
    You know you have achieved greatness, when you are better than what everyone else thinks, but not quite as good as you think!

Jethro:

The only company I know making LT headers for the V6 is Pacesetter. MAC used to make them, but they seem to have disappeared. My advice is to go the custom route. The Pacesetters will hang low, even with modification to them. I already spent the $$$ to buy them and have them installed, so I'm waiting to trash them as I eventually will when I go at least two wheels off a high exit curb. Then I'll have customs made.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

Thanks for the heads-up on the headers. I'm not looking to use headers at this time, due to the weight concern. I'd like to know the weight of them, if you have them off the car for any reason. Just for the library (random information).

Thanks,

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Ron,

I'd be very interested in the weight numbers you get, since mine was in pieces when we got it. It's repaired now, but it was stripped when it went to the shop. I hope you get the opportunity to get it weighed.
    Alright, car on the scales now.

As it sits, with exactly half a tank of fuel, and everything including the spare tire (this is a non-ABS car, I think), it is 3117 lbs on the Intercomp scales.

Corners are:

879 911

667 662

F/R is 57%/43%

Hope that is useful.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-31-2009 at 06:15 PM.

So with a 180 lb driver that's 3300 lbs....2700 might be tough....gonna have to strip that thing down to bare metal.

Crosses are pretty good, and those are easy to correct anyway.

F/R is not so hot.

You might get it down to 55/45 with a fuel cell at stuff, but it won't change much.

Key to this car will be getting 2700 lb. race weight.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    So with a 180 lb driver that's 3300 lbs....2700 might be tough....gonna have to strip that thing down to bare metal.
    I think it'll be real tough. That means the car will need to weigh 2525 lbs without driver. No chance of that. But, it'll be fun trying to get it as close as possible.

As far and the F/R balance I wouldn't worry about that too much at this time. The 260Z with AC came in at 56/44 according to R&T tests I have here. Mine sits right at 50/50 now. I imagine we can easily get the F/R balance to a more manageable level.

But to get that weight down, we're going to have to work and work hard. I know where some of it is - that Mach 460 sound system has amplifiers, sub, enclosure, and all packed under the rear deck and it is feeling heavy. Plus, it knocks out some trunk room there is so much crap stuffed under there.

Jeff called it right on my car - smells like strippers, ciggies, stale beer, and teen angst.

Good luck trying to change that F/R balance. After everything I've done with my car, my balance is 58/42. Yeah, it actually skewed more to the front as I built and stripped the car.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
    Good luck trying to change that F/R balance. After everything I've done with my car, my balance is 58/42. Yeah, it actually skewed more to the front as I built and stripped the car.
    Which makes alot of sense.. same thing happened when I built the MR2.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]