Thread: TST - ITR Mustang Acquired

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
    My race car tips the scales at about 3,040. That includes driver and just fumes in the tank. You guessed earlier that 2900 is a realistic goal for our cars.
    How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? If you're only around 5 lbs overweight then I imagine you're in the 150-180lb range, which means a Mustang might be a hard car to get to a decent weight for a large driver. I'm right around 175 lbs and need to be at about 160lbs.

Some other ideas:

Have you removed all the HVAC you legally can?

Light seat?

Light steering wheel/hub adapter?

Cage was designed for as much lightness as possible with 1.5" x 0.095" tube? That will save quite a bit over the 1.75" tube, 13% cage weight specifically if all things are equal.

Both doors gutted?

Stock tank or cell?

Using essential gauges only, using light components? Remove all the stock gauges and hardware when you install your own gauges.

Ditch the parking brake?

All emissions stuff?

Exhaust designed with thin wall tubing?

Shop up a light battery? I know it has to fit the requirements but there is a lot of variation if you drive around to a lot of stores and weigh them.

Light weight lug nuts? I just ditched 1.2 lb using ally lugs in place of some heavy steelies I had.

I know all that stuff is small potatoes but sooner or later a lot of small potatoes adds up to a casserole. Added to the list of some big items you already have you could be knocking 150 lbs out of the car.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-24-2009 at 09:40 PM.