Thread: engine blocks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yeah, I just saw the schedule and would like to do the drivers school at MAM. I can always hope that the races I did in 2002 would be sufficient to be able to do just one drivers school. Don't really want to go all the way to St Louis to do a double school again if I don't have to.
    So, do you know if just dropping in 10:1 pistons is all that's needed? That motor only has 86K miles on it.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Yep stick in 10.0:1s and that's it, BUT STD& over sized are the same price.....Bore it for $50-75 and have more motor! Do you have ARP rod bolts/Head Studs? Rod bolts are way important!
    I didnt notice a school at MAM! But you will be fine with one school w/previous racing experience....
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

That's what I was thinking. Just getting it bored over and getting a piston kit. Do you know of a machine shop in Lincoln or Omaha that has a torque plate for our motors?
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Torque plate no i don't....I have a machine shop near my shop that may be willing to make one due to the fact that I am already building one JH....Two-three.....1.8s....
    We can make one fairly easy....1/2-3/4 inch plate and a mill.....
    I have been building 2-3 VW engines a year.....Most Machine shops around here suck for small bore stuff......Line boring & 1.8T stuff is almost impossible in Nebraska...
    I am trying a new (6th) shop for machine, Corvettes unlimited.... Gesford in Hastings will do almost anything with SCCA/NASA involved, George is a good guy, he needs us to race MPH!
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Default 10.0 to1 pistons

Your correct about availability ,last year i could only get.20 over not .40 in 9.0 .My engine builder said to be legal not to use 10.0 .Did he read that wrong?(update/backdate)!? At least i can bore it again ,unless i vent the block.

We have a .5 comp increase & 1.2mm over bore......Ya try and find any cast vw pistons 1mm over!!!! I have never seen them....in 20 years....there is few .25mm(.010)& lots of .50mm(.025in)
    In a MK2 golf 8v if you have all the GTI stuff(rear disk), you can run 10.5:1 comp......If you have drums its 8.5:1..????.....????? may be a few more differences....Vented front rotors???? 9A gear box....
    Last edited by Lael Cleland; 12-20-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: I forgot
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

My Golf GT came with non vented front brakes and rear drums but with the 10:1 RD engine and 9A tranny. According to the car classification, GTI, GT and GL are all on the same line allowing 10:1 compression.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT