Thread: engine blocks

Default engine blocks

Is there a difference in blocks when it comes to 8V motors. I know Audi 3A and ABA bubble blocks are different, but what about one out of a VW Fox?
    The reason I ask is that the motor I had in my car is seized up while it was in storage for 5 years and I'm assuming its rusted. I haven't even taken the head off yet to see if the bores are rusted or if its the crank. I did see a Fox in the junk yard with only 86K miles on it but am not sure if the block is the same.
    I know its only 9:1 compression so I know I'll need to bump up the compression. Is it just a matter of putting in 10:1 pistons? Is there anything else that would need to be swapped?
    What about legality of the swap? Would someone object if the stamping isn't RD?
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Hi Ralf, the "bubble block" refers to the 2.0L engine.... If ya your dooing a 2.0L the Audi 8v 2.0L/ vw 2.0 16v are almost identical..... ABA is 15mm taller... you must run a 1.8 8V/16v or 2.0 16v wit your car....up date back date....call it a 91 16v gti or 87 8v gti....all has to match...they never made a golf 2.0L 8V till 93..... As for the seized engine, its the rings/cylinders.....
    The fox only came with a 1.8L from Brazil or mexico....I have many RV,GX,JH, bottom ends, and to get 10.0:1 pistons is much easier than 8.5:1s....If you wanna get back in to it I will give you a block& rotating assembly(pistons are all junk)..

With 4 NRSCCA races in 2010 we need all the cars we can get! Its gonna be a good YEAR!
    Lael
    402-423-3777(shop)
    Last edited by Lael Cleland; 12-20-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: add info
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Yeah, I just saw the schedule and would like to do the drivers school at MAM. I can always hope that the races I did in 2002 would be sufficient to be able to do just one drivers school. Don't really want to go all the way to St Louis to do a double school again if I don't have to.
    So, do you know if just dropping in 10:1 pistons is all that's needed? That motor only has 86K miles on it.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Yep stick in 10.0:1s and that's it, BUT STD& over sized are the same price.....Bore it for $50-75 and have more motor! Do you have ARP rod bolts/Head Studs? Rod bolts are way important!
    I didnt notice a school at MAM! But you will be fine with one school w/previous racing experience....
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

That's what I was thinking. Just getting it bored over and getting a piston kit. Do you know of a machine shop in Lincoln or Omaha that has a torque plate for our motors?
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Torque plate no i don't....I have a machine shop near my shop that may be willing to make one due to the fact that I am already building one JH....Two-three.....1.8s....
    We can make one fairly easy....1/2-3/4 inch plate and a mill.....
    I have been building 2-3 VW engines a year.....Most Machine shops around here suck for small bore stuff......Line boring & 1.8T stuff is almost impossible in Nebraska...
    I am trying a new (6th) shop for machine, Corvettes unlimited.... Gesford in Hastings will do almost anything with SCCA/NASA involved, George is a good guy, he needs us to race MPH!
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Default 10.0 to1 pistons

Your correct about availability ,last year i could only get.20 over not .40 in 9.0 .My engine builder said to be legal not to use 10.0 .Did he read that wrong?(update/backdate)!? At least i can bore it again ,unless i vent the block.

We have a .5 comp increase & 1.2mm over bore......Ya try and find any cast vw pistons 1mm over!!!! I have never seen them....in 20 years....there is few .25mm(.010)& lots of .50mm(.025in)
    In a MK2 golf 8v if you have all the GTI stuff(rear disk), you can run 10.5:1 comp......If you have drums its 8.5:1..????.....????? may be a few more differences....Vented front rotors???? 9A gear box....
    Last edited by Lael Cleland; 12-20-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: I forgot
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

My Golf GT came with non vented front brakes and rear drums but with the 10:1 RD engine and 9A tranny. According to the car classification, GTI, GT and GL are all on the same line allowing 10:1 compression.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

WAHOO!!!!! 10.5:1 after the race is allowable!Are you running solid rotors now? I heard Hawk quit making pads......
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Lael Cleland View Post
    WAHOO!!!!! 10.5:1 after the race is allowable!Are you running solid rotors now? I heard Hawk quit making pads......
    No way. I have had vented rotors in there since '88. They are a direct fit.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Last night I did some reading in the ITCS and in 9.1.3 para C it states:

Any updated/backdated components shall be substituted as a complete
    assembly (engine long block, transmission/transaxle, induction system,
    differential/axle housing). No interchange of parts between assemblies
    is permitted, and all parts of an assembly shall be as originally produced
    for that assembly (such parts may, however, be coated, painted or
    plated).

So, it doesn't sound like one can just swap in higher compression pistons if such block didn't come with 10:1 compression. Am I reading that right?
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

You can update back date between all years on a given spec line. The ITB Golf 1985-1992 spec line includes 10:1 cars. Yes you can use a 10:1 motor. The engine blocks are the same, the difference is the pistons. You are not creating anything that does not already exist within that spec line.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I know that, and most VW guys know that but what I'm concerned about is if a non VW competitor looks at the engine code stamped on the block and it isn't a 10:1 motor would they have ammo for a protest? I wouldn't think so but what does the letter of the rule book say? If I read the above statement, I can't swap in 10:1 pistons if its a GX or JH stamped motor. It sounds like I can take whatever motor assembly that is already 10:1 comp and swap it in there since the spec line states 10:1 is authorized.
    I know its trivial but in this thread: https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=20471 there is quite a bit of discussion of whether he can swap out his 16v for a 8v. So obviously someone reads the rule one way and others read it another. I just want to make sure before I spend the money.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Big Dave, Albin & I aren't going to bitch..... being half of the ITB field, I agree it should have 10.5:1 comp......I have a 10.1 block floating around....
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata