Thread: engine blocks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default engine blocks

Is there a difference in blocks when it comes to 8V motors. I know Audi 3A and ABA bubble blocks are different, but what about one out of a VW Fox?
    The reason I ask is that the motor I had in my car is seized up while it was in storage for 5 years and I'm assuming its rusted. I haven't even taken the head off yet to see if the bores are rusted or if its the crank. I did see a Fox in the junk yard with only 86K miles on it but am not sure if the block is the same.
    I know its only 9:1 compression so I know I'll need to bump up the compression. Is it just a matter of putting in 10:1 pistons? Is there anything else that would need to be swapped?
    What about legality of the swap? Would someone object if the stamping isn't RD?
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Hi Ralf, the "bubble block" refers to the 2.0L engine.... If ya your dooing a 2.0L the Audi 8v 2.0L/ vw 2.0 16v are almost identical..... ABA is 15mm taller... you must run a 1.8 8V/16v or 2.0 16v wit your car....up date back date....call it a 91 16v gti or 87 8v gti....all has to match...they never made a golf 2.0L 8V till 93..... As for the seized engine, its the rings/cylinders.....
    The fox only came with a 1.8L from Brazil or mexico....I have many RV,GX,JH, bottom ends, and to get 10.0:1 pistons is much easier than 8.5:1s....If you wanna get back in to it I will give you a block& rotating assembly(pistons are all junk)..

With 4 NRSCCA races in 2010 we need all the cars we can get! Its gonna be a good YEAR!
    Lael
    402-423-3777(shop)
    Last edited by Lael Cleland; 12-20-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: add info
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Yeah, I just saw the schedule and would like to do the drivers school at MAM. I can always hope that the races I did in 2002 would be sufficient to be able to do just one drivers school. Don't really want to go all the way to St Louis to do a double school again if I don't have to.
    So, do you know if just dropping in 10:1 pistons is all that's needed? That motor only has 86K miles on it.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Yep stick in 10.0:1s and that's it, BUT STD& over sized are the same price.....Bore it for $50-75 and have more motor! Do you have ARP rod bolts/Head Studs? Rod bolts are way important!
    I didnt notice a school at MAM! But you will be fine with one school w/previous racing experience....
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

That's what I was thinking. Just getting it bored over and getting a piston kit. Do you know of a machine shop in Lincoln or Omaha that has a torque plate for our motors?
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Torque plate no i don't....I have a machine shop near my shop that may be willing to make one due to the fact that I am already building one JH....Two-three.....1.8s....
    We can make one fairly easy....1/2-3/4 inch plate and a mill.....
    I have been building 2-3 VW engines a year.....Most Machine shops around here suck for small bore stuff......Line boring & 1.8T stuff is almost impossible in Nebraska...
    I am trying a new (6th) shop for machine, Corvettes unlimited.... Gesford in Hastings will do almost anything with SCCA/NASA involved, George is a good guy, he needs us to race MPH!
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata