Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z Car Pad Group Buy - Carbotech

Arrow Z Car Pad Group Buy - Carbotech

I was speaking with Carbotech some months ago and they indicated they'd be open to doing a discount on pads in bulk. I called them back this afternoon to see what sort of discount they could offer and of course they said it depends on how many, how many are pre-bedded, and so on.

So, question - anyone interested in Carbotech pads for their Z? If you are I'd be willing to organize the buy and take delivery of the pads then get them sent to you. If it is something you'd like to do let me know how many sets of pads you would like to have. I'll send all that to Danny and see what sort of deal we can get.

I'm in for four sets, XP-10s are what I generally run.

Hey Ron, describe the braking feel for the pads, longevity (like it matters with a Z), rotor life and overall characteristics of the XP-10.

I have been running HT-10's on the front.

Ask them about shoes at a discount as well.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

We really like the porterfields we've been running, but Id bet the carbotechs are better (but more expensive) Id be willing to go for a few sets though.

Hi Paul,

I think most of the Z guys I race with use them. Pedal feel is good, they last a reasonable amount of time (CMP will kill a set but CMP is the hardest track we have on brakes), and don't seem to tear up rotors.

I've used the 10s and 12s, both were very similar. Carbotech has descriptions on their website about the compounds. I think with some volume discounting we'll be in the 130ish range per set.

I've not tried anything else but the Hawk pads and I like Carbotechs better than Hawk. But, brake pad choice is one of those really personal matters and it is hard to but quantitative data on preferences. Been using Carbotechs for about three years and like them.

Ron

Ron, How many races have you gotten out of a set of the carbotechs? Like Tim said we have had Porterfields, and were real happy with the performance, but I'm not confident we got great life out of them. It's kind of hard to tell cause the car saw mixed use with them (5-6 auto-x's, 2 pdx's, 2 schools, 2 race weekends), and we probably didn't really push the pads till the last two race weekends when they went from 3/4 meat to crumbling away. I think we would be in for two set's on the carbotechs, as I'd like to get a comparison. Your timing is good as it was time for us to buy anyway!
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

For my car at VIR a set of Carbotechs will last at least four sprint races with good performance.

At Roebling they'll last, heck, I don't know, at least six races. Roebling is not rough on brakes.

At CMP a brand new set of pads will last exactly two races (including practice and qualifying). Sometimes you might want to put new ones on for Sunday and save the other half of Saturday's pads for another track. I generally do. But if you run them the whole weekend they will make it but be used up.

Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    For my car at VIR a set of Carbotechs will last at least four sprint races with good performance.

At Roebling they'll last, heck, I don't know, at least six races. Roebling is not rough on brakes.

At CMP a brand new set of pads will last exactly two races (including practice and qualifying). Sometimes you might want to put new ones on for Sunday and save the other half of Saturday's pads for another track. I generally do. But if you run them the whole weekend they will make it but be used up.

Does that help?
    Yes Ron and thank you. Sounds like the Porterfields aren't any worse than the carbotechs as far as durability. And we haven't got our ducting to the brakes in yet. We definitely want two sets if you do the group buy as I'd like to try the carbotechs and compare performance. If you don't do it just let us know.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Count me in for 2 sets as well Ron. I might as well try them and if they work a little better at lower temps than the HT-10's it might keep me on track after a restart.
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

Just to add a little to the pot here, but what kinda of wear does everyone see on the rotors? We have one rotor that got chewed up real good, yet the other looks serviceable.

I've used the same set of rotors through out 2009. That includes VIR, CMP, and Roebling tracks, about 10 races worth. You can also get Carbotech 8s if you are worried about them being too aggressive.

I won't order anything until we get a complete count and I'll make notes here. Steve P, David S, and a few other Z guys use Carbotechs and I hope they can add to the count.

I switched to the Carbotechs on my old RX7 and the difference in pedal feel was very noticable. Got better wear than the Hawks and they stayed good down to the backing plate. Ran 7 hours of the VIR 13 and they still looked fair when they came off. Well worth the money. Have not tried some of the newer Hawk compounds, mine were Blue/Black. Tried Hawks at CMP this year and the car was crap under the brakes.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

So, we've got:

Me-4
    Chris-2
    Paul-2

Any more? Danny from Carbotech just emailed me again wanting to know if we have a decent count. I doubt eight sets is going to do a whole lot for them. I'll call Steve P and check with him. Any other Z racers need pads?

Default Pads................

HI Ron,
    I got bunches of spares with my Pharr car, but not reall sure, of brand/number.....

Put me down for a couple of HT 10s I guess......

david
    30 year old ITS car

Ok

Ron-4
    Chris-2
    Paul-2
    David-2

Tim, do you want any?

New total:

Ron-4
    Chris-2
    Paul-2
    David-2
    Nathan Rolfe -2

I finally did my inventory and it looks like I could use one set of front pads and one set of rear shoes....
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Okay, everyone all set and committed? I'll give them a call today and see what they can offer.

Ron-4
    Chris-2
    Paul-2
    David-2
    Nathan Rolfe -2
    Steve P - 1 pads, 1 shoes

Alright folks, time for commitment. I got the pricing from Carbotech:

CT57-XP10 $122.40 ( per axle set)

CTS411-913 $147.87 (per axle set)

So, $122 for the pads, $147 for the shoes.

Is everyone still on board with the quantity? I don't want to have $1500 in brake pads at my house!
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 02-01-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Still in and I think I have your paypal addy. If not, send it to my work email

Thanks Ron, that is a decent discount on the shoes and I would take one of them if I didn't already have 2 spare sets.

Paul
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

Ron,

I'm still in for two sets of pads. Also, if its not too late, I would be interested in a set of shoes.

Regards,

Nathan
    Nathan Rolfe