Thread: ITR Mustang

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ITR Mustang

Howdy All

Looking at turning a recently aquired 95 Mustang into an ITR car for 2010.
    This is a V6 car, but would consider doing the V8 swap for 2011, for now just wanna make it safe and handle.
    Any advise on mustangs in ITR would be appreciated, I assume there is a few that have been built allready.
    Mainly looking for wheel, tire, brake and suspension tips.

Thanks in advance.
    You know you have achieved greatness, when you are better than what everyone else thinks, but not quite as good as you think!

The 1995 cars are classed in ITS, at a new attractive weight I might add.

Ron

Default ITS Mustang

Let me chime in here, and possibly answer a few questions.

As noted, the '95 is classed in ITS. The '99-'02 is classed in ITR...but in both classes the allowed weight is probably WAY lower than physically achieveable, regardless of what components can be deleted, or replaced. Although I'm glad SCCA is approaching classification in IT with a plan in mind, this particular car is classed too light for reality. It probably should have ended up in ITA at a more realistic weight.

Having had a few years experience with the Fox in ITB, I have thoughts on how to make the chassis work better, and eliminate some of the undesireable characteristics of its handling. Incidentally, I'm working on an ITR, which has parallel issues, and the weight sensitivity part, too (I don't expect to make anywhere close to the allowed weight). Therefore, what I'm saying is: You might want to be VERY judicious in adding any component that is not manditory for safety. Specifically, I'm thinking of Panhard Rod, or Watts Links, or added roll cage bars due to the added weight. Try to solve the problems with bushing selection (in the rear, very soft, or very mechanical), to reduce/eliminate the bushing-bind that is the source of the handling quirk.

At the front, the same philosophy everyone else who uses struts, will apply to this chassis. Try to find hollow sway bars instead of solid bars.

Cage: be very careful where the bars are located, and if you really need/want them. Tie into the chassis at the spring mounts in the rear, not the shock mount. In front, tie to the firewall where the upper frame extends off to the core support.

Plan to remove any and every component allowed to lighten the car. Lose a few pounds, yourself (difficult, but possible...and allowed by the rules!!!).

Happy holidays.

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

Chris Dercole has one and he is on the board, it is a 99 and up though. His handle is RedMisted on here.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Thanks Guys

I've been talking with Chris and he's a wealth of info.
    Looks like I'll have to run 15" tires, yuk!
    stock size is 205/65x15, and looks to me like the only popular racing size is gonna be 225/50x15, this make sence to anyone?
    Any tips on strut manufacturer choice, even from the 79-94 guys?
    You know you have achieved greatness, when you are better than what everyone else thinks, but not quite as good as you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    Thanks Guys

Looks like I'll have to run 15" tires, yuk!
    stock size is 205/65x15, and looks to me like the only popular racing size is gonna be 225/50x15, this make sence to anyone?
    You can go to a 245/50/15 in the Hoosier. I would also suggest you talk with Sam Strano from Stranoparts. He is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to Fox Body Mustang setups.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!