Thread: Clutch ideas

Default Clutch ideas

Curious as to what you guys are running in the clutch dept. I can only seem to find a stock clutch to work with the stock flywheel. Everything else uses a lighter weight fly wheel and better clutch. I'm not to keen on running a stocker, last car i did that in it let go. If you prefer to keep your answers private feel free to pm me.
    Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!

Hi Chris. MM.
    I race the ITB cars also, and post here. Same name.. I have had problems with the sachs clutches only. The LUK uses a better engineered spring set and they seem to last well. I have had two Sachs HD clutch springs take out the front of the case. HTH.
    There are some 4 puck solids, that will also work, and I run on the IT car.
    Re tach; should work on the stock driver wire. (like you are seaching for. ) Have fun. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Not runnig a VW, but I can add that I'm a believer in stock clutch parts. The only part that might be problematic is the clutch lining coming off the disc. High RPM and a riveted lining will sometimes cause fractures at the rivet points. You can identify this fracture by the visible rivet holes in the lining particles left after disassembly.

A relatively cheap solution for this problem is to have it bonded to the disc by a clutch re-manufacturer. Bonding provides extensive contact area without stressing the specific contact points (rivet locations), and will last the life of the car, provided you don't slip the clutch constantly.

Just offering a new idea.

Good racing,

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

I run a Kennedy 4 puck solid center. One benefit is that it weighs less than the other options. I have seen a few springs fail on stock type. While I know I am introducing more shock to the system, I do run a harmonic balancer on the front side of the crank, try to shift 'nicely', and have not had any issues over several seasons of doing it this way.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Any idea on price on the kennedy clutch, their website doesn't list anything.

Any other vendors for a 4 or 6 puck solid hub?

Hey Lizard, got the tach figured out today. PITA
    Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!

Check 5spd part #s with 4spd aircooled,VW beetle . I think that they are the same. The race stuff is real cheap. The 4 puck is about 50$.s

Edit!! The bus, 210, disc is the same as a 5 spd #. not 16V or mk 3. tho..
    MM
    Last edited by Flyinglizard; 12-14-2009 at 09:17 PM.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

i am using a stock flywheel and pressure plate and i have a techtonics 6puck clutch. i still wanted to be able to drive the car with outh killing my knee.