Thread: Scan Tool?

Default Scan Tool?

Help me pick out a code scan tool. Here's what I think I want:
    • PC based - more function for less cost.
    • Monitor the current condition of sensor values.
    • Compatible with all (most?) OBD-II cars.
    • If possible, also compatible with my pre-OBD-II cars.
    • Cheap.
    Here's what I've got:
    • 2002 Honda
    • 1996 Chevy truck
    • 1995 Ford E-350 Power Stroke Diesel
    • 1991 Miata
    I've seen some ELM-based scanners that seem to be along the lines of what I'm looking for. Let me know what you like and what fits my needs.

Thanks,
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

The key word what do you consider "Cheap", secondly do you want it to be bidirectional so it can activate sensors or do you just want to read them. The other problem will be with you 95 Ford Diesel.
    Darryl Pritchett
    ITA #92 Dodge Neon
    2008 SE DP Champion
    2010 CFL Region ITA Champion

Cheap - Over $200 it'll probably never happen (because the race car doesn't need it ). Over $100 it probably won't happen soon. Under $80 it might be in Santa's sleigh.

I've never used one of these tools, and I'm not sure what you mean by activating sensors. Doesn't sound like a requirement.

I was afraid that the diesel would be a problem. That's not a show-stopper.

Thanks,
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

I bought a cheapo ($40?) from JC Whitney and use it on my 2002 F150 and 97 M3 and it has saved me thousands!! It gets you in the general vacinity of the problem but I guess I've been lucky <knocking on wood> to be able to figure it out or throw cheap parts at it to fix the problem.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Either buy a code reader from Napa or Autozone or wherever for $50, or spend a couple grand on a real one from your local Snapon or OTC guy. There really isn't a lot of middle ground, unless you find an old one a pro is getting rid of. I am completly unfamiliar with PC based things. Proper ones are real money, I imagine there is something hacked together in a basement for less.

Your Miata won't give much data- the Asians were a bit parsimonious with their datastream at that time. May only flash codes. The Diesel may talk to a generic scannerbut I don't know. I avoid oil burners at my shop.

And I use the phrase "real one" advisedly. There is no substitute for the factory tool for a professional.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

Look into Autotap or AutoEnginunity. The later will handle bydirectional stuff.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

I have a Snap-on Solis pro& a ross-tech vag-com....the $350 ross-tech Vag-Com is By far better for vw/audi than the snap-on($7000)....
    I am checking out Programa.com for Volvo, Benz, and other European brands...
    I am sure there is a good PC based OBD-II for Generic/Global diagnostics, in the $300 range....
    91 miata....I think it take a paper clip....02 honda, generic is awesome, except for air bags& abs...American trucks Generic obd2 will also work well......
    Any programing that needs to be done will take a serious piece of equipment....$1000-2000 per manufacturer....
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

I've read the posts but am not much closer to an answer for myself. Same as the origianl question with the same cost perameters but for a 94 325, a 06 F150, and 2000 or newer car sometime in the future. Does not have to be PC based. I just want to be able to read problems and fix them if I can affrod one that does that.
    Last edited by mr. black; 12-21-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Extra Info

I use this guys. His customer suport is good. He has a policy that lets you trade up as you need the more capable model. The software allows you to record the data stream during a test drive and review it back at the shop. They start at $122.

http://www.obd-2.com/
    Last edited by jhooten; 12-21-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: may be better if I put the link in.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Jerry......I bought the same scan tool a number of years ago and was very happy with it until the plug-in part got lost last year when I was travelling. I called the company to attempt to get a replacement and they told me I could buy a whole new system at a $10 discount from retail price. I also called the company that manufactures the plug for them and was told that under license, they are not allowed to sell me that piece.

Be careful.....their customer service does not exist.
    Dave Burchfield
    GLDiv ITS #74
    Mazda RX-7(the one Kirk parked on the tire wall at Seattle)
    (or so I am told)

I've had mine a long time (they were still hot on the y2k hype when i got it). They were good then. Hate to think they have gone down hill but it happens.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.