Thread: 25 Solo @ TH

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 25 Solo @ TH

Steve Gorriaran the SM Runoffs winner went the whole 25 by himself and was class E2 winner. Pretty dang amazing.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Like no naps on the back straight or anything? I'd have a tough time staying awake 25 hours running through the forest with Neo-Nazis chasing me with axes.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

My first reaction: "Why?"

My second reaction: "Yeah, seeing guys doing aileron rolls in their Cessna 172 is 'amazing', too, but that don't make it smart. Or something I want to aspire to..."

Count me impressed too but again, why?

The interesting thing to me is that this violates the typical rules about time-in-the-car, that I think NASA has on the books for enduros. It bothers me at a very basic level that one person is allowed to violate a rule (probably because he's got name recognition), when I can easily picture Joe Average getting whacked with a penalty by an enthusiastic steward for going 3 minutes over the stipulated maximum. I got tagged for speeding in pit lane at a NASA enduro because "it sounded like I was going like hell." It was wet and I spun the tires in first gear.

K

EDIT - I was wrong about the NASA enduro rules. They stipulate 2 drivers minimum but don't go into detail re: length of stints or rest time.
    Last edited by Knestis; 12-07-2009 at 02:25 PM.

My guess is he did it because the guy doing his car prep did it once, go look on the sand box page for details. I've heard the story in person & its a good story, even better that its true.

It is impressive, but I still say that things like Ivan Stewart of Mouse Mc...... doing the Baja 1000 solo are in another league.

Why? Same reason people die on Mt Everst every year. We can't make fun of other peoples hobbies considering what we call 'fun'.

Sorry, Matt, this is not sexual orientation; labeling something a "hobby" does not make it immune to peer and societal criticism.

And possession of driving skill does not make one immune to the effects of human physiology (and psychology). When one falls off the side of Mount Everest, one hurts only them self; however, when one falls off the side of Turn One due to the effects of basic human physiology, one significantly endangers not only them self but their peers around them. That is not "amazing", it's "selfish". Managing to avoid such effects is not "amazing", it's "lucky".

Ironically to your point, a very large portion of those that kill them self on Mount Everest due so from arrogance and over-confidence...

They say the single most-oft phrase heard right before an airplane screws itself into the ground is "oh, shit!" (regardless of language translated from). The second most-oft phrase is "Hey, watch this!" Just because one manages to throw them self at the ground in front of a crowd and avoid hitting it makes it no less a "Hey y'all, watch this!" moment than the ones that that end up in smoking piles.

Congratulations, and all that. But please don't do that around me.