Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITB noob...

Default ITB noob...

Greetings...

I've been trolling this site for a few months and finally pulled the trigger and bought an '84 Scirocco ITB car from Tim Meyer.

I'll be competing in the CenDiv after successfully (hopefully) completing the Driver's School in April at BHF.

So if your wondering around the paddock and notice a clapped-out, bargain-basement tow rig, trailer, car and the driver is punching himself in the tool-bag for getting into racing... ...stop by and I'll offer you a cold one or eleventeen (after the day's festivities of course).

Brooke Fairbanks
    Spooner, WI
    Break Like the Wind Racing
    #11 ITB Scirocco

Welcome!

Good to meet Ya! we need more sciroccos in ITB! Rabbits and golfs get boring.......(I race a rabbit)
    Go beat a Honda!
    Lael
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Welcome to the habbit!

Hey, I used a 4 cyl Jeep Wrangler for my "tow vehicle" initially which on the way to my school lost 5th gear among a few tires. You're living it large! Just enjoy the experiences, and have fun with it.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Welcome!

try to keep the weekend of the IT SPECtacular open next summer.

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=26592

even if you are in the midst of getting the license, you might want to come as "crew" and check it out. mid-ohio is a great track.

Tom, who's ITA crx was moved to ITB.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I'm looking forward to not getting in everyone's way as I wave to the corner workers... ...I'm new to driving, not racing. My grandfather raced (D Prod), father raced (Can-AM, F5000, etc.) mother raced (SSC Pinto), sister (FV) and brother-in-law (FC, F2000) and I've crewed for a F Prod National driver and my brother-in-law's Pro F2000 team ( www.zsportsmidwest.com ).

As Mr. Gran's wife stated: "Dreams are for doing..." So with the new course at BIR being recently certified by the SCCA, I decided that the time to race was now or never... ...I always wanted to race (very badly) but my sponsor (Mr. Checking account) kept refusing my requests for racing funds. He stated I should wait until the funds were available... ..."F" it; I'll make it work, some how (dumpster diving for aluminum cans).

See ya on the track...

Brooke
    Last edited by Hoof Hearted; 12-07-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
    I'm looking forward to not getting in everyone's way as I wave to the corner workers... ...I'm new to driving, not racing. My grandfather raced (D Prod), father raced (Can-AM, F5000, etc.) mother raced (SSC Pinto), sister (FV) and brother-in-law (FC, F2000) and I've crewed for a F Prod National driver and my brother-in-law's Pro F2000 team (zsportsmidwest.com).

As Mr. Gran's wife stated: "Dreams are for doing..." So with the new course at BIR being recently certified by the SCCA, I decided that the time to race was now or never... ...I always wanted to race (very badly) but my sponsor (Mr. Checking account) kept refusing my requests for racing funds. He stated I should wait until the funds were available... ..."F" it; I'll make it work, some how (dumpster diving for aluminum cans).

See ya on the track...

Brooke
    Great attitude! My brother and I are in the same boat, doing this as affordably as possible. Whether we ever run towards the front or not, though, NOTHING is as enjoyable as a weekend at the racetrack, and especially when you're there with your own car. Keeps the adrenaline flowing, the wheels turning upstairs (slowly for me), and a smile on the face. Good luck!!!
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Quote Originally Posted by spawpoet View Post
    Great attitude! My brother and I are in the same boat, doing this as affordably as possible. Whether we ever run towards the front or not, though, NOTHING is as enjoyable as a weekend at the racetrack, and especially when you're there with your own car. Keeps the adrenaline flowing, the wheels turning upstairs (slowly for me), and a smile on the face. Good luck!!!
    Thanks... ...I can't believe they'll let me on the track to drive as fast as I can.

Actually, that's WHY they let you on the track!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Welcome!! VW's are -----OK but----never mind
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
    Greetings...

I've been trolling this site for a few months and ......
    And you still want to race an IT car????? :eek:

Now you know why it's called insanity!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, welcome to the IT community. And like Tom said, keep the IT Spectacular on your calendar! Great racing, great party, lots of track time.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBill View Post
    And you still want to race an IT car????? :eek:

Now you know why it's called insanity!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, welcome to the IT community. And like Tom said, keep the IT Spectacular on your calendar! Great racing, great party, lots of track time.
    Yeah, in spite of all what I've read, I got an ITB car...

The class appears to be the least expensive wheel-2-wheel road racing class that has a modicum of participation... ...hopefully more participation in CenDiv with BIR coming back on line.

The IT Spectacular at Mid-Ohio will probably be off the radar screen this year; the BHF school/race, RA and BIR for the first year and see how it goes.

Your grandfather raced D-Prod? Holy crap, I raced D-Prod! I must be old....
    I started with the same attitude. If you want it bad enough, you will find the money.
    BoL and enjoy,
    Chuck

Brooke welcome to ITB.

You will fit right in with most of us in CenDiv ITB. I think there is one enclosed trailer, but the rest of us do it the old fashioned way.

Plenty of B vws for sure, including one other Scirocco (we lost one to HP last year).

I will be in the white #20 Golf. Feel free to come by and ask for help/advice/a beer when we see you at the track.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Welcome to the party - you've picked a great place to start!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Brooke welcome to ITB.

You will fit right in with most of us in CenDiv ITB. I think there is one enclosed trailer, but the rest of us do it the old fashioned way.

Plenty of B vws for sure, including one other Scirocco (we lost one to HP last year).

I will be in the white #20 Golf. Feel free to come by and ask for help/advice/a beer when we see you at the track.
    Chris,

I saw you race (and win!) at BHF for the Fall Sprints in September (I'm sure it was tough to get heat into the snow tires... ...it was COLD:eek. I was there with my brother-in-law Steve Thomson; he and Ron Boltik were running their Z-tech FC cars (to maintain their comp license). It will be a little different set-up when I race: No triple axle trailer w/ canopy, generator, pit cart, pit bike, radios, scales, laptops with data acquisition, video, crew, hotel, ten sets of tires, spares galore, driver skill...

Yeah the brake ducts were full of snow from an off in the Saturday morning session.

I ended up racing on Sunday with a pair of blown left side shocks. It was an exercise in adaptive driving style for sure!
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Congrats on the Roc!

I ran an ITB Roc and then converted it to G Prod a while back. Unfortunately had to part with it a year or so ago. Just remember, there is a load of knowledge to be had with the prod guys too.

You could ask me too, but there are high and mightier people out there that can help you move up front!

Best of luck!
    John McFarland
    ————————————————
    #02 GTA Chevy Monte Carlo

Scott McFarland
    ————————————————
    #88 ITC Renault Alliance

Mentor, OH

Quote Originally Posted by John McFarland View Post
    Congrats on the Roc!

I ran an ITB Roc and then converted it to G Prod a while back. Unfortunately had to part with it a year or so ago. Just remember, there is a load of knowledge to be had with the prod guys too.

You could ask me too, but there are high and mightier people out there that can help you move up front!

Best of luck!
    Thanks John...

Since you brought it up, I do have a noob question (first of many, I'm sure): The car has 5 speed close ratio 3.6 with a Quaife... ...I plan to run at Road America, Blackhawk and the new 2.5 mile Brainerd course. A 3.6 R&P seems long; should I get several different R&P (or gear boxes) or pick one that is a compromise for these different tracks, and if so, what ratio would be the least compromising?

Thanks again!

Brooke

PM sent.
    John McFarland
    ————————————————
    #02 GTA Chevy Monte Carlo

Scott McFarland
    ————————————————
    #88 ITC Renault Alliance

Mentor, OH