Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building The E30...Lots of STUFF!

Default Building The E30...Lots of STUFF!

Ok, well some of you may of known I was trying to trade my E30 street car for an already running IT car.

I had some offers, some wanted cash, I found an ITA Integra it's on this site, was going to sell my car to buy it, all the buyers fell through and has pretty much really bummed me out so I removed many of the for sale ads and am going to build my E30.

First off, it's a 325E, which makes it an ITA car. I forget but can I I swap the motor and run ITS?

I think ITA would be a better class anyway for me to start with. Some of you may remember me. I have been on here for years now, my previous name was "Simon" I forgot my password though. Anyway I was on here when I was fourteen or fifteen building an ITC Civic. Many of you supported me! There is still a website floating from that time: www.simontibbett.evaluand.com .

OK SO ANYWAY.

Blah blah never got to race the Civic wheel to wheel, high school took its toll on me, I sold it for a CRX I daily drove, story goes on.

SO here I am at twenty one years old now, STILL NOT ONE wheel to wheel RACE start, I WILL start a race in 2010. Mark my words. I've done tons of track days, autocross, karts, you name it, just not a wheel to wheel RACE.

So my plans are to build the car mainly to get on track first and just have fun with it not worrying about being competitive. I am a college student and I live on my own, so I don't need to worry about winning or anything, I am sure most of you don't think I need to even worry about racing but trust me I can't wait for the nights rest after my first race weekend. LOL.

So plans so far:

-Suspension: basic Bilsteins and GC coilovers, sway bars, all new bushings.
    -Engine I am leaving as is, it's a very strong running motor, perfect compression, no leaks, no smoke.
    -Roll cage, my main concern. I think I am just going with a Kirk weld in and will update it down the road.

I have many of the other parts such as a seat, harness, window new, etc.

So yeah, thoughts? Reason I asked if I could run ITS with an I swap is there are a few around right now VERY strong running very cheap and fairly low mileage on them.

Great to have you back, Simon.

There's a guy, who was at teh ARRC with an ITA E30.. I think it's the same car as what you have. You probably know the car. Chuck Baader. He's quick, really quick. BIG torque from that motor! Anyway, he posts here, and is a guy with answers. I think I read you were at the ARRCs, maybe you talked with him? He should be a great source.

My main thought would be reliability stuff, make sure the radiator is sound, the fuel tank and lines are sound. Also, brakes! Get new lines, and pads, of course. Carbotechs are great, but the BMW boys might have their favorites. And bearings...check and or replace them all.

Good luck!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Great to have you back, Simon.

There's a guy, who was at teh ARRC with an ITA E30.. I think it's the same car as what you have. You probably know the car. Chuck Baader. He's quick, really quick. BIG torque from that motor! Anyway, he posts here, and is a guy with answers. I think I read you were at the ARRCs, maybe you talked with him? He should be a great source.

My main thought would be reliability stuff, make sure the radiator is sound, the fuel tank and lines are sound. Also, brakes! Get new lines, and pads, of course. Carbotechs are great, but the BMW boys might have their favorites. And bearings...check and or replace them all.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the post!

I was at the ARRC for the test day and the enduro so don't clearly remember seeing it. I will try to find him though! Reliability it's great, I am doing some brake work right now such as new lines and a new booster. I will need some good track pads.

Thanks again for the reply!

Hey, Simon - it is good to have you back in the mix...

I don't know all of the specific details of how an E is different than ITS version of the e30 but yes - you can update to run the faster class. HOWEVER, you've got to end up with exactly the same specs - every single part - as would have been on the car had you started with the "i" or whatever.

And the e30 325 is more competitive in its class in A than it will ever be in S. Ever. I'd seriously recommend going the ITA route if you decide you have to build...

...but saving your dough and buying an already prepared car is still going to be more affordable, if you compare apples to apples in terms of level of preparation.

K

Yeah, talk to Chuck. He's around here somewhere. MONSTER amounts of torque just makes that car scream out of corners, but then it really runs out of steam as the revs climb down the second half of straightaways. So it's really competitive at some tracks, but suffers a little at others. Well balanced chassis with good aftermarket support. I've told Chuck before, I really want to drive his car - just looks like a blast to drive.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Hey, Simon - it is good to have you back in the mix...

I don't know all of the specific details of how an E is different than ITS version of the e30 but yes - you can update to run the faster class. HOWEVER, you've got to end up with exactly the same specs - every single part - as would have been on the car had you started with the "i" or whatever.

And the e30 325 is more competitive in its class in A than it will ever be in S. Ever. I'd seriously recommend going the ITA route if you decide you have to build...

...but saving your dough and buying an already prepared car is still going to be more affordable, if you compare apples to apples in terms of level of preparation.

K
    Hey! Good to see you're still here!

I do think I will stay with going the A route.

I also know it's cheaper to buy an already built car, but I have been so fed up with the crap it for some reason takes to sell a car these days I am going to suck it up and work with what I have, which is a decent platform I think, it has a very straight chassis and a very strong motor. It's mainly the cage which is my main concern.

I just want to get on track, then worry about going fast.

Welcome back Simon. Let me know what questions you have. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Take care of Simon, Chuck, he's a good addition to our little part of the world. Besides, you could use somebody chasing you in the same car!
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    Welcome back Simon. Let me know what questions you have. Chuck
    Ahh ok I see your car in your avatar, I've seen it before! I just never realized it was an ITA car.

Kevin, be glad to let you try the dark side next race...just don't show me up too badlyCB
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

I rarely disagree with Kirk, but I do disagree with this. I think the E30 was overlooked in ITS for a long time because of the E36.

I've seen two well prepped E30s -- Matt Reppert's and Hal Corbin's -- and they are FAST. Reppert beat the Van Steenburg ITS Miata at Birmingham which is no small feat, and Hal had us all covered (except for that same ITS Miata) at the SIC in his E30.

They seem to be a very balanced car. Good power, great torque for the class, good handling, good brakes.

But for the irrational Triumph love, I would consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post

K
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Yeah I mentioned ITS because I have seen some very fast ITS E30's in the Atlanta region. I am going to stick with ITA though and work with what I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I rarely disagree with Kirk, but I do disagree with this. I think the E30 was overlooked in ITS for a long time because of the E36.

I've seen two well prepped E30s -- Matt Reppert's and Hal Corbin's -- and they are FAST. Reppert beat the Van Steenburg ITS Miata at Birmingham which is no small feat, and Hal had us all covered (except for that same ITS Miata) at the SIC in his E30.

They seem to be a very balanced car. Good power, great torque for the class, good handling, good brakes.

But for the irrational Triumph love, I would consider it.
    Jeff,

I fully understand the irrotational Triumph love, but I've got to moderate some of your enthusiam:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1349730

In a nutshell, spec e-30 guy's are cracking rotors rather than wearing them out. I know that the brakes on an e-30 are huge compaired to a Tr8. But are still small compared to how hard they're used. Still, great motor, good transmission ratios, longer wheel base so they're a stable platform that turns well with a suspension scheme that dates to the early '60s. Certainly there are worse choices out there
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

JAmes, that issue may be more common than you think. I haven't worn out a rotor in years. I went thru 3 sets this season, due to cracking. (Which sucks, because it's integral with the bearings, so it's new bearings and races every time) The newer pads are, I think, handling heat better than ever, and the result is the next weakest link is going.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I have run the same set of rotors for two seasons but had to change at the ARRC. I agree with Jake that pads are probably the reason as I also run 3" brake ducts to the center of the rotors for cooling. This was the 4-5th race on these pads and I had a 3/16" crack on one side of the LF rotor. Also the first time I had tried this brand pad and the first rotor I have cracked. CB
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    Kevin, be glad to let you try the dark side next race...just don't show me up too badlyCB
    Team Fat Guy enduro co-drive?

Well, maybe not if your car's putting huge cracks in rotors.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

In the paddock we will have to raise our hands when we walk...so everyone can tell whether we are walking or rolling.

We can try that...will have to get you cushions for my car so you can reach things

You missed the point....rotors were two years old!!! CB
    Last edited by chuck baader; 12-04-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

After seeing Reppert's car run, and racing against Hal for a few years, I can tell you straight up that an E30 325is maxed out is one of the 7-8 cars to have in ITS -- which is what is great about ITS. The following cars can have won races in the last few years:

Prelude
    325is (E30)
    RX7
    Miata
    190E
    240sx
    240Z
    260Z
    280z
    280ZX
    300ZX
    GSR
    TR8 (well, close)
    944S

There have also been the odd Achieva and Milano that have done well here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Jeff,

I fully understand the irrotational Triumph love, but I've got to moderate some of your enthusiam:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1349730

In a nutshell, spec e-30 guy's are cracking rotors rather than wearing them out. I know that the brakes on an e-30 are huge compaired to a Tr8. But are still small compared to how hard they're used. Still, great motor, good transmission ratios, longer wheel base so they're a stable platform that turns well with a suspension scheme that dates to the early '60s. Certainly there are worse choices out there
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Having several competitive cars is what keeps a class healthy... you see the same thing in ITA. Off the top of my head you could have any of these below on the podium:

Integra (2 generations over 10 years)
    CRX
    240SX
    Neon (SOHC or DOHC)
    Miata (2 engine choices over 7 years)
    325E
    Sentra
    NX2000
    Civic (3 generations over 12 years)
    Saturn
    MR-2

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

welcome to ITA with a 6 in a e30. i have one and helped build my friends we are the only ones in the pacific northwest that run them. just ran a Thunderhill enduro with mine and boy light e30s are fun. i would rather run ITA then ITS there is only 200 lbs difference with the same brakes. http://vimeo.com/user867681/videos
    the only thing that you may miss from an ITS e30 to an ITA e30 is about 1500-2000 rpms
    Last edited by ericblois; 12-11-2009 at 12:53 AM.