Thread: LSDs - $$$$

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
    Hot tip on setting up preload on a Nissan R180 LSD: don't do anything! Eventually we were running the stock 45 ft-lbs of breakaway or whatever it is. .
    Riley mentioned this when I spoke to him last week, probably from you guys' efforts. Unfortunately, I think mine was put together back in the late 90s and it is torqued up pretty tight. Have to fix that.

No need to "fix" anything- it'll loosen upon it's own Bottom line- don't fret over getting big preload numbers as it doesn't seem to help anything.
    katman

It might be worth your while to have somone who is up on them to go through it. The clutches may be worn or load not set up right. Like my freind said they are twitchy if set up wrong and you may be getting to much lock up at the wrong times. The high torque cars are sensitive to how abrupt the diff locks under loads (ie comming out of corners). Since the Z's are tail twitchy this could be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
    No need to "fix" anything- it'll loosen upon it's own Bottom line- don't fret over getting big preload numbers as it doesn't seem to help anything.
    I dunno - it has a full race season on it now and it is just as tight as it was on day one. I've got a stub axle that was cut off and has a hex head on it so you can attach a torque wrench to it. If I want to check the breakaway torque what do I do - put the stub axle in on one side, put the other side on the ground, and see how much torque it takes to turn the stub axle?

I know it's completely apples: oranges but quite a few of us in the Honda camp (ITC, ITB, and ITA cars) as well as some Miata's run Eckerich's diff's with plenty of success. I'd definitely suggest talking with him about making one for you.

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear