Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSDs - $$$$

Question LSDs - $$$$

I've got a 4.11 R&P that I traded from Steve P for some parts. I'm wanting to set this gearset up in a spare R180 housing and called Lynchburg Nissan to get pricing for the LSD. $850, just for the LSD part and other parts are needed. Quite pricey with my new 2010 budget.

Any other options out there that folks know of?

My selection of setup diffs is:

3.36 Open, Salt Flat gear
    3.56 Welded, use at Daytona & carry on the trailer as backup for my or another Z pilot breakage
    3.7 clutch pack, Use at VIR and Roebling
    3.9 Quaiffe, should use at CMP but never do as I don't like the way it works

I'm thinking about converting the 3.9 over to a 4.11 unless I can turn up another option. I don't care for the Quaiffe very much, but at least I could use the 4.11 set I have and I don't use the 3.9 anyhow.

Oh, and the NISMO LSD only works if you have the 115mm ring gear, which I'm not sure I have and need to measure.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 12-02-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Sell the Quaiffe and use the profits to buy a few used clutch pack units... then use the rest to fund a very extensive 2010 season! Hell you might have enough to take the family on a really nice vacation too.

In reality... the options out there are VERY limited. You'll have to find an older power brute clutch pack unit. Hell I didn’t even know Lynchburg had LSDs in stock... if so grab as many up as you can.

http://www.precisiongear.com/powerbrute.htm

They have the R180 PB listed on the website... but I seem to remeber them being sold out.

Ron, Tim's right that Powerbrute is worth checking out. 8 months or so ago they were OOS on the r-180 lsd units, but that was because they had gone through receivership and from what I understand another company has bought up the assets and tooling. They said they were going to restart a program selling r-180- LSD units, but I haven't talked to them lately to see if that is in fact true.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Not cheap, but OS Geiken has an LSD unit available:

http://www.otomoto.com.au/osgiken/superlock.htm
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Quote Originally Posted by spawpoet View Post
    Not cheap, but OS Geiken has an LSD unit available:

http://www.otomoto.com.au/osgiken/superlock.htm
    Holy sh&* that is expensive! Way out of budget on that one.

Riley mentioned that other company to me with the R180 units. I'll call and report back, thanks.

Reporting back -

http://www.precisiongear.com/powerbrute.htm

The R180 is discontinued and they do not have any on the shelves.

Just ante up for a Quaiffe, they're only about $1200.

We had 2 LSD units that we swapped between about 4 gearsets. I think we eventually sold one of them and then just swapped it into whatever diff we were running that weekend. PITA but once you set each one up you can swap the LSD unit around pretty quickly. I think the last one we bought was about that much money 10 years ago.

Subaru's use R160's, and might use R180's. Can't remember. Riley proly already told you what to look for in the junkyards. Good luck. Oh, and don't go nuts on the preload. When you find one I'll tell you the hot tip.
    katman

Some subies use clutch pack R-180's, as do some older Nissan stuff. With the Subie Diff and some of the other R-180's out there you will have to change the diff inputs from CV to Z half shafts. Good thread over at hybridz about what is out there and how to swap things out.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Quote Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
    Subaru's use R160's, and might use R180's. Can't remember. Riley proly already told you what to look for in the junkyards. Good luck. Oh, and don't go nuts on the preload. When you find one I'll tell you the hot tip.
    Yep, he did.

My 3.7 has a NISMO unit and the preload is nuts. I need to turn it down cause it is, for all intensive purposes, welded. Ok, what is the hot tip?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Yep, he did.

My 3.7 has a NISMO unit and the preload is nuts. I need to turn it down cause it is, for all intensive purposes, welded. Ok, what is the hot tip?

The right mix of gear oil and friction modifier I'd bet. But I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

Oh, and the NISMO LSD only works if you have the 115mm ring gear, which I'm not sure I have and need to measure.
    As a general rule, the only ring gears that are 110mm are the stock ones, ie 3:54 and 3:36. Everything else should be 115mm. And if you you want to get rid of that 3:9 let me know.....

Rumor has it that Steve E can convert an open diff to an LSD for less than you would pay for the NISMO part, but I have no way of confirming that rumor.....
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

If you ar selling LSDs I am in the market. If you are looking for 4.11 in 115s the 240sx (early came with them) just look for the K case R180s also some of the nissan trucks. Can be had cheap from slalvage yards! The older 110 sets are rare and will be hard to find. Like Paul said the Subies (older) came with the 110 R&Ps and will fit but may be hard to find, the newer ones are 115s.
    PM or email me if you want to sell!!!:026:

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish57 View Post
    Rumor has it that Steve E can convert an open diff to an LSD for less than you would pay for the NISMO part, but I have no way of confirming that rumor.....
    Yep, I PM'ed him about some LSD work. What you thinking of doing with a 3.9? You don't run out of RPM with the 4.11 do you?

On your 3.7 what have you set the torque at? My mech says that on the NISMOs most people set up to tight and depending on condition of clutches going less is better they wont lock up to soon, also if the oil is to heavy will also tend to lock up till up to temp but have to be carful not to cook unit if using to lite oil/add mix Thats why may racers end up using a cooler for the diff.
    Talk to Greg Ira he runs the power bruits and NISMOS on his car and may be able to give you some imput on torques.
    Another source is the 510 comunity lots of them have converted to the 180s from the 160s and may have some of the 110 gears sets
    A good sourse for the NISMO set up is Gordon Glasgow (English nissan guru) www.gordon-glasglow.org/lsdtech.html
    Another info source is http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/Subaru.htm
    You may already have all this if so disreguard

What you thinking of doing with a 3.9? You don't run out of RPM with the 4.11 do you?
    Nashville and Barber. I run out of revs at Nashville and it would make my shift points better at Barber.....
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish57 View Post
    Nashville and Barber. I run out of revs at Nashville and it would make my shift points better at Barber.....
    he, he, he yeah you did didn't you Just wish I had enough straight line handling to stay with you coming out of the bus stop.

Ron, Let me know what Steve has to say. I have the same diff list as you but no 3.36. None of them are LSD all are locked and I have some spares here that I could use to convert to LSD.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pballance View Post
    he, he, he yeah you did didn't you Just wish I had enough straight line handling to stay with you coming out of the bus stop.
    You know what to do.... Give the kids a student loan application and a pat on the back. "Sorry. But Daddy needs a new Sam Neave motor and a couple of LSDs".
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

It sucks that you cannot run the 5 speed with OD then you could use the taller truck R/Es 4.37s 4.44s and 4.67s I hear that is the inexpensive way to go. Or run the R200s lots of goodies out there, JDM LSD go 200-600 on the drift/s14-5 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEL View Post
    It sucks that you cannot run the 5 speed with OD .
    What do you mean we can't run the 5 speeds? Uh-oh.

I like having a total of 4 shifts (counting ups AND downs) at PBIR