Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GCR choices

Default GCR choices

We just got letters today asking us to pick a hard copy GCR, a CD version or a downloadable version. Is tech going to be happy with anything other than the traditional book?

Dick? Greg?
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    Is tech going to be happy with anything other than the traditional book?
    Won't matter, we'll be using our own copies anyway...electronic (CD/PDF) is fine.

So, if you get the down-loadable version, do you get free monthly updates too? :026:
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I'll take the hard copy every time. The .pdf version is available at all times for download on the SCCA's website - download it to your computer and eliminate the need for a CD version of it.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

I like the paper book and asked for one but next year for the first time in 2010 the electronic version is the official rule book. SCCA members are now 90% online. National expects some savings from printing fewer books. I would also think that the printed version might not be out quite as fast as previous years.
    It will certainly take some getting used to. Not so sure about having to look something up on a cold rainy day while teching a car.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    I like the paper book and asked for one but next year for the first time in 2010 the electronic version is the official rule book. SCCA members are now 90% online. National expects some savings from printing fewer books. I would also think that the printed version might not be out quite as fast as previous years.

It will certainly take some getting used to. Not so sure about having to look something up on a cold rainy day while teching a car.
    There will be printed copies available for those who need them (tech, stewards, etc.) into the future. The primary advantages to the downloadable version is that it costs nothing other than staff time to produce and it will be updated on a monthly basis (all the Fastrack rules changes and tech bulletin items will get folded in each month) so anyone can have a "fresh" version.

Dave

I'll take paper (and gladly even pay for it).

What are the chances our yearly dues would then go down, because the SCCA is saving so much money by not sending us hard copies? I'm going to go with "about zero".
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    What are the chances our yearly dues would then go down, because the SCCA is saving so much money by not sending us hard copies? I'm going to go with "about zero".
    Yes, but the cost of a license will not go up until 2011!

Seriously, what are the implications of the 'on-line version' being the official version? Will the club provide on-line access at events so that members will have access to that version (especially if you are the 10% that are not on-line. I know competition members that do not even own a computer, much less internet access!) If you opt for the CD version, will the club send you a new CD with FastTrack changes monthly?

I can see pros and cons here, but recognise the club's efforts to keep costs down.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Ever since the GCR was available for download I have used that format. By using the search function in Reader the amount of time saved looking up any information has been reduced by an order of magnitude if not more.

The GCR has got to be one of the most unorganized reference books I have ever had the misfortune of having to read.
    Tom Sprecher

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBill View Post
    Seriously, what are the implications of the 'on-line version' being the official version? Will the club provide on-line access at events so that members will have access to that version (especially if you are the 10% that are not on-line. I know competition members that do not even own a computer, much less internet access!) If you opt for the CD version, will the club send you a new CD with FastTrack changes monthly?
    And what good will a CD do for those without a computer? Also, let's not forget that one part of Novice Driver School involves the GCR as reference material and for testing. Lastly, how will the volume of printing impact per copy pricing?
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Lastly, how will the volume of printing impact per copy pricing?
    Depends on how many copies are printed. Even if they do rise per copy, there's still a considerable cost savings considering the number of them being printed, cost to ship them from the printer to distributor, then to the member. Storage costs for those copies saved for new members. Costs associated with the time it takes to ship them out. It all adds up and pretty quickly.

So few people these days (especially racers) either don't have a computer or don't have access to one where they could view this at work. Absolute worst case, have someone print the sections that you want a hard copy of...which leads to:

The GCR has got to be one of the most unorganized reference books I have ever had the misfortune of having to read.
    Seriously! And talk about intimidating for anyone looking at it for the first few times. When it boils down to it, there really isn't a huge portion that a racer needs to have at the track. Portions of the various appendixes and in our case the IT rules sub section which is only 12 pages not including each cars specs.

I've always felt there are much better ways to spend these resources than on printed copies of the GCR.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

My first thought on this is what if I'm in impound after a race and want to protest someone? Some how you'll have to look up the appropriate sections to reference in your protest.

I know the chances of that happening are rare but if it does, you don't want to spend that 30 minutes trying to find your CD and a computer, write it up then find the steward to submit it.....
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    ...you don't want to spend that 30 minutes trying to find your CD and a computer, write it up then find the steward to submit it.....
    When I read that I was laughing while picturing Jeff frantically looking for his hardcopy, fumbling in his truck through half a dozen plastic parts tubs, all buried under tires (old and new), toolboxes, other "spare parts", ice coolers, half-eaten Whoppers, and poorly-ventilated driving driver's suit parts...

'Course, we can all go back to "the way it used to be" where they weren't sent to us, we had to buy all of these books. Yes, as I recall we even had to pay for a copy of the required GCR -before- they were available electronically, as well as individually buying each of the specs book (e.g., ITCS, GTCS, PCS, etc). Later in the process there was an 8x11-ish hardcopy of it all in one place, but that was only available to tech inspectors. It's only been relatively-recent that: uno, we've had everything under one cover; and dos, it's been auto-shipped to licensed drivers.

The answer is easy: put your GCR on a $3 USB flash drive in the top of your toolbox (or some other convenient location in your "stuff"). If you can't find a PC or a handheld device at a race track these days within 32 microseconds, you're just not trying...and, if you really want one, you can call and buy a hardcopy at any time. - GA

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    My first thought on this is what if I'm in impound after a race and want to protest someone? Some how you'll have to look up the appropriate sections to reference in your protest.

I know the chances of that happening are rare but if it does, you don't want to spend that 30 minutes trying to find your CD and a computer, write it up then find the steward to submit it.....
    IMHO, I don't need to cart another item(laptop) to the track. Also, another item to break when it falls off the truck or trailer. I'll take the book even if I have to pay for it.

Those of us in our 60's are so used to hard copies that I think we revolt at having online magazine subscriptions, as well. Plus, the hard copies also improve our hoarding....LOL.

Oh, so you want the big print version Bruce?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I opted to save a tree; I've been carting my GCRs back and forth for 4 years now, and have yet to ever open one while at the track. I realize some people (i.e. tech inspectors, stewards, etc) will need copies for their jobs, but for the rest of us it seems such a waste. And I have no doubt that if you really, really need one, you will be able to get your hands on one (or as Greg noted, a laptop with the e-version) in no time. Besides, this will give me one more reason to need a laptop
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Oh, so you want the big print version Bruce?
    Right on, Dave!

I need the cataract version of the GCR...LOL. As long as it will bolt to my IV pole.

I prefer to have a printed copy, but not the book. I print the PDF on 8.5 x 11, punch it and put it in a three ring binder that I can add to when the monthly updates are released, write notes etc. I think the current book size is difficult to deal with but is in my tool box anyway.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
    Good news. The 2010 GCR will be extensively reorganized. It's much more accessible than recent editions: like topics are pulled together and a lot of the administrivia is moved to appendices.