Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GCR choices

I would like it in the form of stone tablets, or microfiche....
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Does this mean that we can bring micro film or online versions of our factory shop manuals too? Or do those still have to be on paper because what is good for goose isn't so good for the gander?

Or could we at least recognize that as long as you can produce a copy of the FSM you don't actually have to have it? Cripe for the cost of all the inspection tools that tech owns you'd think they could come up w/ a half dozen of the more common FSM's as a reference manual. Yeah, the weirdo stuff like Suzuki's the tech guys are going to lean on the owner for that manual, but for RX7's, Miatas, BMW's, 240Z's you'd think that there is one available.

It isn't rock paper sissors, nothing beats paper when you are trying to reference something.

Quote Originally Posted by MMiskoe View Post
    Does this mean that we can bring micro film or online versions of our factory shop manuals too? Or do those still have to be on paper because what is good for goose isn't so good for the gander?...
    Actually, most of the categories/classes where FSMs are required now state that non-print versions are acceptable. (If we've missed some, let us know - after the 2010 GCR becomes available.)

It isn't rock paper sissors, nothing beats paper when you are trying to reference something.
    I strongly disagree with that statement. Stewards (of which I am one) probably make more use of the GCR than anyone. Many of us stopped bringing the printed version to the track a long time ago because it is much easier to search the PDF than it is to hunt through the printed book when trying to locate something that isn't referenced frequently.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    Good news. The 2010 GCR will be extensively reorganized. It's much more accessible than recent editions: like topics are pulled together and a lot of the administrivia is moved to appendices.
    Hurray! Maybe now they will eliminate the 'two total openings' on page 339.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by lael Cleland View Post
    i Would Like It In The Form Of Stone Tablets, Or Microfiche....
    News Flash

Archaeologists In Rome Discover Ancient Artifact. While Digging, They Discovered Stone Tablets Which Turned Out To Be The 10BC SCCA GCR For Chariot Racing. Protest Was Made By Many Members Because Knives Were Banned From Use On Wooden Rims For The 010 Season......lol

It takes almost a 3" three ring binder to hold my visually challenged version of he GCR scaled to print a page on a full 8.5X11 sheet single sided (to allow space for notes on the blank facing page). Been doing it since the Book was available for download. It is in tech with me when I'm working. Many drivers have been saved from walking back to their pit to get their reading glasses by it being available. Printed copies of the Fastracks are available in another binder.

I also have a thumb drive that has the GCR and each months Fastrack.

With all the data collectors, digital vid, programmable ECU units in cars these days that need data stored and wifi becoming available at more and more tracks, who doesn't have a computer available somewhere close in the pits?
    Last edited by jhooten; 12-02-2009 at 10:31 AM.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

I vote for online version. I happened to go out to my car yesterday and noticed my copy of the 2009 GCR, still in the plastic. I have a copy of the GCR on my laptop and use it at the track. I also have a copy on my work computer and my person computer and......
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
    news Flash

Archaeologists In Rome Discover Ancient Artifact. While Digging, They Discovered Stone Tablets Which Turned Out To Be The 10bc Scca Gcr For Chariot Racing. Protest Was Made By Many Members Because Knives Were Banned From Use On Wooden Rims For The 010 Season......lol
    Roflao!!!
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    News Flash

Archaeologists In Rome Discover Ancient Artifact. While Digging, They Discovered Stone Tablets Which Turned Out To Be The 10BC SCCA GCR For Chariot Racing. Protest Was Made By Many Members Because Knives Were Banned From Use On Wooden Rims For The 010 Season......lol

yes, but look carefully at section XXX.XVII.XV.d.....washer bottles required <arrgh>

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Wooden steering wheels were the only choice then, the wooden quick release was also tricky...LOL...
    Did the washer bottle need a pump? (air from spair tire)....Or only the bottle?
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Quote Originally Posted by lawtonglenn View Post
    yes, but look carefully at section XXX.XVII.XV.d.....washer bottles required <arrgh>

Glenn....Racers used elephants to pressure wash blood off the chariot at the end of each race! Also, the Appian Way R888 alligator skin radial was banned for spec bimbatta competition for the 11BC season.
    Last edited by BruceG; 12-02-2009 at 03:43 PM.

I don't think my paper copy of the GCR has made it out of the plastic wrap the last two years. I bring my laptop to the track with me. That way I can look at Traqmate data and see how slow I am. It also allows me to get on-line from the hotel or nearest WiFi spot if needed. I'll just be using the on-line version.
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Since we have to be individual members, I'll be getting the old paper book one and Steph will get the on-line version---best of both worlds!?!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

i opted on-line. if someone wants the paper, buy it like we used to but don't automatically make us pay for something some of us rarely used.

now i need to update my letter for making SportsCar electronic only......
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Just opted for my hard copy. I'm shocked at you guys who don't even pull them out of the pastic. I have a row of GCR's from the past 8 or so years on a shelf right above my computer monitor, and I am constantly reaching up and grabbing them!
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    Just opted for my hard copy. I'm shocked at you guys who don't even pull them out of the pastic. I have a row of GCR's from the past 8 or so years on a shelf right above my computer monitor, and I am constantly reaching up and grabbing them!
    I have all of them stacked side by side too, but everytime I'm working on the car I have my laptop handy and use the GCR on it.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    my biggest gripe with a hardcopy of any manual anymore is trying to find a specific item. the GCR might make great reading on the crapper but if i want to find the word "spherical" in the GCR, doing a 'find' function with a PDF is much easier.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Tom, you really need to re-think your reading material for your "sit down time"
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!