Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 85 jetta improved touring suspension

Default 85 jetta improved touring suspension

name is stewart. i have an 85 jetta i am building for improved touring and i dont know what to use for a suspension. please keep in mind that i dont have a lot of money. but i will have some help from dad.

wht would u suggest?

i had some koni yellow on order from performance cafe but they screwed up and i got a return from them. but i wasnt sure on the koni yellow either

Bilstien cup shocks are the way to go in my opinion. They aren't adjustable but can be revalved and rebuilt. Best bang for the buck out there and VERY durable.

This is the best place to buy them:
    http://www.eshocks.com/bil_vehR.asp?...tein&SubChar=Q
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works
    We Install and Tune Megasquirt Systems
    #97 GTL Scirocco (for sale)
    ABA Corrado powered by MS3. 40+ MPG

I agree, Bilsteins! springs are springs, must run coilovers.... I buy QA1s from Summit/Jegs 7inX2.5in.....300lb-700lb available.
    Spring rates and sway bars.....Every one has a different opinion!
    Camber Plates help get you to -3deg camber.
    NEW wheel hubs & bearings are a must. (febi bilstein/FAG only)
    Re-man front calipers=$15each
    Hawk Blue pads front....
    Oil cooler or disconnect your oil temp gauge.....160c is to hot....
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

i will be running an aftermarket oil cooler setup also. not sure what do to do for that though. maybe factory? what coil overs can u run with bilstien. im confused. i was goin to run koni yellow with koni sleeves.

this internet place u speek of is it good. im having a horrible time with an internet company that wont give me a refund in my parts after a month of not getting parts or my money.

Bildon sells them for about same price.

I would much rather support Bildon than some random company, plus with Bildon you will get A+ service and tons of support which is priceless.

http://www.bildon.com/catalog/Detail...v=10&SubNav=14
    Last edited by Sandro; 12-01-2009 at 01:20 AM.

this.

the owner of the company has been very good to our form of racing in ways most don't know, but have been positively affected by.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

so bildon is a good place and what other places. i really need more info and help with what to buy

I really, REALLY hate to say this.............. But for the cost of a very good suspension you can almost buy an already built car..........

I know it SEEMS cheaper to build one............ but it's not.

Good luck. You've come to the right place to ask questions!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by jetta87 View Post
    this internet place u speek of is it good. im having a horrible time with an internet company that wont give me a refund in my parts after a month of not getting parts or my money.
    I've never had ANY problems with e-shock.com. And the only good luck I've had with Bildon is his E-bay stuff.
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works

i will be running an aftermarket oil cooler setup also. not sure what do to do for that though. maybe factory? what coil overs can u run with bilstien. im confused. i was goin to run koni yellow with koni sleeves.
    The bilstein cup shocks ARE coilovers and much more robust than Konis. For an oil cooler, get an Earl's from Jegs or Summit. Good price and utterly reliable.
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works

Have to agree w/ Jeff (Lawton) on this one. If you want to run an A2 VW, there are a couple in the classifieds on this site for $3500 each. Even if you do all the work yourself, and place no value on your time, it's pretty much impossible to build a track-ready car for that kind of money. One of those cars reportedly has a fresh BSI motor. While BSI has moved from VW's to SM's, they used to be one of the best of the larger VW IT tuners in the country. I have no stake in either of those cars, but I'd strongly suggest you look at them before you get too far down the build-your-own road.

^3
    $3500 is a good deal for an IT car after you start adding up what it will cost you to go racing. Figure $1000 for coilover kit+shocks (non-race shocks), what, $1500+ for rollcage, trans rebuild with Quaife is another $1500+ and an engine rebuild would be another $1000+. I did everything myself, but that was because I wanted the experience in doing it, and I wanted things done a certain way, such as the cage. But I paid dearly for that satisfaction, both in $$$ and time. I know it seems like a lot of cash to lay out for a race car, but it is way cheaper to buy used than to build your own.

STOP....I GOT THE BEST DEAL FOR YOU,A2 GTI, 91. FAST AND RELIABLE. ITB #69.
    Leda suspension, camber plates, new engine, lots of spares,tranny,axles etc, 2008 ARRC ENDURO WINNER.
    Recession sale $6500.OBO.

well i have a fresh trans built for free with a quaiff in it. old family friend is vw trained from the factory and does nothing but vw,porsche trans. and its too late on the motor. we already have it completly rebuilt. and i have already stripped the floor pan inside the car and the inner fenders also. got rid of any unwanted wiring also. and im goin to buy a bolt in cage since i dont know if im keeping the car for very long. i know its cheaper to just buy a car. but i didnt have a choice.

my parents owned the car since 86 and my mom wouldnt let me and dad get rid of it. so she said build it and race it since i was in high school starting this. im done with school. and so forth. so i dont really have a chance but i hear u guys loud and clear.

with this eshock place and these bilstiens they have. what else so u need to go with eachshock beside springs?

with this eshock place and these bilstiens they have. what else so u need to go with eachshock beside springs?
    Upper spring perches. We get ours from Coleman Racing. A set of camber plates is also a very good idea.
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works

got rid of any unwanted wiring also.
    FYI might want to check the rules, can't do that if building an IT car

In my opinion a flat spring perch is the way to go, the dirt car cone perches are 2-3 inches tall I.E. 2 inches less wheel travel.....Ground Control camber plates come with the perches....and there flat....

Spherical control arm bearings are a good upgrade on the MK2-3,the rear bushing flexes allot! They keep the wheel where it needs to be when loaded.....

Lael
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Default 85 Gti Fs

How about an already 85 GTI track ready and tons of spares for 4k?

Terry - hd54kh@aol dot com