Thread: 2nd Gen ITS splitter.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2nd Gen ITS splitter.

Excited about next season already..... recently picked up a ITS RX7. I have replaced the front bumper and front fenders and the hood is being realigned at a body shop right now. I see Flatout ans ISC both have splitters, but have also heard benefits of not having a splitter too. I have been told by some that the front slpitter is essential to cooling only...... others say that it is essential to handling if you have the later style rear wing. I drove the car for 1 15 min. session when I picked it up a few weeks ago and it did not have a splitter and the handling was a none issue..... I was able to generate more heat in the rears than the fronts and felt no push(would imagine the car would have felt looser with the splitter). When I drove the car the outside temps were only in the high 50's, so cooling was a non issue.

The oil cooler on the car is what concerns me..... it is lower than the later style front bumper I put on the car. I am positive the Flatout slpitter and ISC splitter will drop below the front bumper enough to accomidate the oil cooler.

Like I stated earlier a few( very fast drivers too) have stated that lack of spoiler is for them due to the fact of them getting ripped off during off's or things on track , like cones. These drivers have been black flagged and just got tired of dealing with the front. They have given the Factory Turbo Splitter as an option. I called Mazda Speed and the told me that there looks to be 2 options: 1) factory turbo one piece $320; 2) a three piece option that they where not sure what it went on but was only $135. The Rep could not tell me what it looked like and was not sure himself either.

I have also seen that Mazdatrix has a copy of the Mazda one piece. I can see that factory option does little for handling but does it help with cooling.

I'm sure this is a very old topic but this is all new to me coming from Specmiata.

greg

Default splitter

we made our splitter out of plywood. (if you have ever seen the sreed source cars , that the way they did it.) it works well & doesn't cost much. isc's works well also , not sure if it is still available. any splitter will make it harder to load on the trailer. racingralph

Ralph, how do you fasten it to the car? Is it removable?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

mine is not removeable.brackets that bolt it to frame,but not that hard to break/tear off if needed. steve e makes hardware/brackets to make it removeable. ralph

Mine is made of furniture grade plywood, covered in resin and removes with 6 pins (no tools required and can be on/off in 2 minutes. Aluminum mounts bolted to the body and splitter along with 2 center support rods. It's about as bullet proof as you can make them, been off track many times and you'd never know it. I had the Flatout splitter and I spent more time repairing the splitter, bumper and front fender as it was very sensitive to any off. I believe the ISC splitter is for S4 front bumpers only?

Some details and pictures on mine here http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.ph...plitter&page=4 - more posts later in the thread but I never did get around to doing the "how to" I said I would - got too busy.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Excellent Mark!!! Exactly the kind of ideas I was looking for. Thanks very much.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)