Thread: Advice on FC3S (Street Car) Brakes?

Default Advice on FC3S (Street Car) Brakes?

Friend of a friend comes to visit the other day, stand around the shop, brought beer for me.....nice!....anyway, he wanted to come over (I thought) to discuss ITS RX7s, and I was hopeful I would be able to create another competitor.

Anyway, he asks "what brakes do you guys use?"...car is on the lift, so I points and says..."stock calipers...all we're allowed, Hawk Blues on the front, Blacks on the back"....

Turns out he wants to do only HPDE, wants bigger brakes for his stock TurboII street car.

I says to him..."no need, stock calipers WAAAY enough to lock the wheels any time you want...biggest problem we have is NOT locking the brakes....therefore, no justification for tossing money." The look on his face told me that he'd been planning for years to waste thousands of dollars on that....he was disappointed in my advice....

If anybody has a different view than me, I will be glad to pass it along to him.

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Hey, Glenn, when I was instructing at the Audi Club events, we'd always get similar questions. I'd tell folks the first thing they should try is a good set of appropriate-compound brake pads.

Once they've given that a shot, I told them if they still want to spend the money on red calipers I could help 'em out (the BIRA group buy project). But I wasn't gonna take any money from them until they tried it. Most were happy with the results.

'Course, there's the hard-parking side of the equation: nothing says "look at me" like a set of red calipers with "Porsche" or "Brembo" etched on them, partially blocking a set of cross-drilled and -slotted rotors. Not much you can do about that from a driver perspective...

Tell him to try pads first.

GA

Yeah, I would suggest a good pad, some good braided lines and high temp fluid.

If he wants more than that then tell him to go for it.

I had a 89 T2 track car for my wife years back. The ITS brake setup was overkill even at the speeds that car ran. If he just wants him some pretty red calipers give Charlie Shatzen a call at Mazcare in Atlanta. He does a lot of V8 swaps in the second gen and has a very good bolt on setup.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Tell him some sweet looking 6 pot Brembos and shitty pads ought to work out nicely.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com