Thread: Purchased an E36 now what? ITS/ITR?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I should have the new RX8 out by the March VIR race if all goes well. Plan to run a race or 2 in the Northeast.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Tristian, knowing what little I do about your "program", I wonder if you might want to look a bit further afield. I imagine waving the Brimtek flag in different markets at different tracks would be a positive.

If that's the case, look where you'll be going, and consider the fields.

Possible races to consider that are "big" in our area:
    ARRC
    IT Fest in Ohio
    NARRC Runoffs in NEw England (Lime Rock).
    MARRS XXVII (or whatever) at Summit on Labor Day.
    Then I'd hit VIR a couple times,
    ANd the Glen, there's usually a good event at the end of July.
    Also, plenty of races at NJMP (North vs South as mentioned above)

Maybe start in the south, travel north as the heat settles in for summer, then back south to wrap up the season?

yea, but which class?
    Well look at the races that puts you at, and see who's run this past year. It looks like R will have more guys out next year, and there are a number of cars getting built (Tristans Z, and a couple Mustangs and one Camaro that I've heard of). True that the fields are 'thin', but, I tend to worry about ONE car when I race, and that's the fast guy, whoever he is. Really, the rest are irrelevant. Unless the ONE guy isn't any good...

So, I'd look at the R numbers closely. If you travel and will be running new to you tracks, a 'semi light' competitive level wouldn't hurt for your first time at the track, preparing you for the stiffer competition the following year.

So, there's some random thoughts for you.

Up in the NE, it seems like there's always a pretty solid S class. (10 cars easy), and R is strong too, considering it's in it's infancy and takes some solid startup capitol. (2-4 cars per event)

In terms of the difference in the cars: As you know, the weight for your car is 2765 (IIRC) in ITR, and you can run 8.5" wide rims, and fairly wide rubber on them. In ITS, the weight goes up AND you get the restrictor (an SIR).,and wheel width comes down to 7". I imagine the chassis gurus will tell you that the lighter car on wider rubber will need different springs, dampers, roll rates, and alignment settings to optimize each package. Further, the restrictor doesn't just bolt in. You'll need to optimize your tune to build the curve in the lower area, and of course, fabricate the mounting for the SIR itself. At this point, I think ITR is still open country...I don't think (apologies to all ITR guys) that I've seen a 100% build yet.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 11-24-2009 at 07:18 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks for all the input guys. I definately wouldn't be the "fast" guy in either group and rear wheel drive is a whole new arena. I think we will stick to the orginal plan and run ITR. Kirk hit the nail on the head, once the sponsor realizes the cost of consumables are't cheap compared to VW parts I'll move back to ITB. For now I'll just ride the wave while the surf is good.
    Tristan Herbert
    2011 World Challenge TC Rookie of the Year
    2011 ARRC ITB Champion
    2011 IT Fest ITB Champion
    2009 MARRS - ITB Champion
    BRIMTEK/Germanautoparts.com