Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windshield repair/replacement options

K--With a cage it doesn't mean anything. The ease of removal trumps that damn glue.

The only issue is will a Butyl Kit work with the given pinchweld and molding.

Modifications shall not be made unless authorized herein.

d. Windshield clips and rear window straps per the GCR Section
    9.3 Windshield Clips/Rear Window Straps, are permitted and
    recommended.

Clips or straps are allowed (to be added?). Is an alternative method of window installation using other than stock materials or techniques considered to be a permitted modification?
    Christian J. Chandler
    BMW 318is
    #26 ITA
    JiM Power

I'm sure that clips and or straps are an allowed way to install a windshield. In my case there's no rubber gap filler for the bottom, but there is a gap. So foam or butyl seem out of the question as I'll have to glue it to keep it in place.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    K--With a cage it doesn't mean anything. The ease of removal trumps that damn glue.

The only issue is will a Butyl Kit work with the given pinchweld and molding.
    The car is also a roadster, so even with a hard top it doesn't add much strength. A butyl kit would work with the pinchweld seam, the molding on the other hand is the question. It's a simple rubber that fits on the sides and top edge, nothing goes on the bottom edge though there is a gap of about 3/16" or so. There's also the plastic tray on the bottom that would have to be cut to fit over any bottom clips...
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

If you want to fill the gap with normal windshield glue just coat the outside 2" of the windshield with Vasoline and put it in place as normal. You can get it good and level with no gaps and it will be easily removable and held in with straps.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Steve,

Thanks for the idea of using vasoline. I'll give that a try as soon as I get some clips made to hold the windshield down.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter