Thread: December Fastrack is out!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Incorrect stock hp used initially. Lower than expected gain in IT trim, based on various dyno sheets received by the ITAC.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The RX-8 is now classed as it should have been, hopefully people will bring them out and boost ITR's numbers. The weight is as low as you could possibly attain in IT trim with a 200lb driver. Next should be the Fox body Mustangs in ITR.

matt

I thought it was against the rules to change a cars weight?
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by RSTPerformance View Post
    I thought it was against the rules to change a cars weight?
    Not a newly-classified car. It's all spelled out in the beginning of the ITCS.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    It's all spelled out in the beginning of the ITCS.
    Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    No changes to cars classified for 5 yrs or more. Adjustments ok for cars less than 5. It's in the ITCS.
    You both should definitely know better. Read it again.

The ITCS allows for weight changes based on on track performance after the second, third, and fourth year of classification. Not after the first.

Or is the CRB trying to call this an error? Maybe this is why we can't have a published process? Back to the old cloak and dagger system then?
    Last edited by GKR_17; 11-23-2009 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    You both should definitely know better. Read it again.

The ITCS allows for weight changes based on on track performance after the second, third, and fourth year of classification. Not after the first.

Or is the CRB trying to call this an error? Maybe this is why we can't have a published process? Back to the old cload and dagger system then?
    Not true completely. The 2005 RX8 is now able to be classed with proper data so they were free to look at the numbers. It still makes 215 at best and is well within the process weight compared to the cars it will race against. I do think the S2000 and 300Z need to be looked at. No possible way the 300 can run with the ITR cars at over 3200 pounds. It may go down the straights but is will never corner or race well. I will write a letter supporting Tristan when you get that car on track. I don't think we need to get too upset until we see how they match up. Keep in mind the fastest ITR car at the ARRC still ran a slower lap than an ITS car.

PS. I sent cheesecake to all the CRB members in exchange for the weight break. Especially after all the nice things I said about them in the last year. Yes, I am kidding.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    Not true completely. The 2005 RX8 is now able to be classed with proper data so they were free to look at the numbers.
    That's about as weak a justification as I've seen. Even so, that year isn't classed so it's clearly not true.

Man, I don't know how many times I've typed this......

No changes to cars classified for 5 yrs or more. Adjustments ok for cars less than 5. It's in the ITCS.

Ben, relax. Think about it this way:
    E36: known hp to the wheels, 217. weight 2760. tq? stout. brakes, vry good, handling, vry good.
    RX-8: known power to wheels. 210-212. (215 was used), weight 2850. tq? tq? tq? Bueller? Bueller?. brakes and handling very good.

Further, word is it they go through transmissions like Dunkin Donuts goes thru coffee at 7AM on Monday mornings.

Still worried?
    You coooould build that mill or yours, instead of carting around the 'club'.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    RX-8: known power to wheels. 210-212. (215 was used), weight 2850. tq? tq? tq? Bueller? Bueller?. brakes and handling very good.
    Did you see the RX8 results in the latest issue of Sportcar? Fairly impressive and through a catalytic converter, 221 wheel hp. I don't know anything else than what was in the article and wouldn't think it'd amount to anything for the IT weight anyhow due to dyno differences and all that good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I have heard the grumbling about the Fox Mustang v. the SN94, and have to remind you guys that the "perception" the Fox is at a disadvantage to the SN94 doesn't mean it gets a weight change.
    Man, I knew that putting those Fox chassis cars in that proposal was trouble. We were damned if we did, and damned if we didn't. I didn't want to put them in because of:

a) this hp/weight problem
    b) people would be asking for brake allowances on the cars

Want to race a V8 Mustang? Race the SN95 chassis and like it, they are damn cheap to purchase. Just impossible to please all the people all the time.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 11-23-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Want to race a V8 Mustang? Race the SN95 chassis and like it, they are damn cheap to purchase. Just impossible to please all the people all the time.
    I have decided to build a ITR Mustang and will be using a SN95 that I just bought for the project. I should have it out sometime this summer. I do wish 17x9 wheels were a choice instead of 17x8.5 since the 17x9 is the common Mustang wheel. BTW I you are correct they can be had cheap. Found mine just south of Iowa City on Craigslist and paid $1200 for a 1995 Mustang GT with 95,000 miles. I figure it should cost me around $6k to $7k which is a lot better than the $90k I spend on my WCGT Mustang.

Cheyne Daggett

Default Mustang in ITR

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
    I have decided to build a ITR Mustang and will be using a SN95 that I just bought for the project. I should have it out sometime this summer. I do wish 17x9 wheels were a choice instead of 17x8.5 since the 17x9 is the common Mustang wheel. BTW I you are correct they can be had cheap. Found mine just south of Iowa City on Craigslist and paid $1200 for a 1995 Mustang GT with 95,000 miles. I figure it should cost me around $6k to $7k which is a lot better than the $90k I spend on my WCGT Mustang.

Cheyne Daggett
    Chenye,

I too am building an SN 95, 2002. Also hope to have it ready for the coming season. We should talk, to compare notes? I have had extensive experience with a Fox or two, and now will put it to good use in the SN 95.

write me at [email protected]

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

I have heard the grumbling about the Fox Mustang v. the SN94, and have to remind you guys that the "perception" the Fox is at a disadvantage to the SN94 doesn't mean it gets a weight change.

We still do use the process on new cars, and the classed Fox and SN94 cars have essentially the same specs......and the differences aren't things we account for in the process.

So, barring some evidence that the IT gain in hp is different between the two, they will stay at the weights at which they are set.

Quote Originally Posted by xr4racer View Post
    The RX-8 is now classed as it should have been, hopefully people will bring them out and boost ITR's numbers. The weight is as low as you could possibly attain in IT trim with a 200lb driver. Next should be the Fox body Mustangs in ITR.

matt
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

How did the ITS Mustang weight get so messed up that it needed a 400 lbs break?
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Because it was originally classed using the old "curb weight" formula, and not based on stock hp.

It was probably more "off" than any other car in the ITCS.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit07 View Post
    I wrote the letter that ended up in that car's reclassification. The car has 140hp stock and there is no evidence to suggest that it'll gain any more in IT trim than any other car in ITS. It appears that it was classed as Jeff says using the old "rule of thumb" method that incorporated curb weight, and, then it was missed in the Great Realignment.

With the new weight I think the car could be a contender in ITS. Anybody wants to buy my Z I'll build one a ITS Mustang and let you know.

Ron

You may have a hard time getting the SN 95 car to 2470? I worked like crazy to get an fox body ITB car to 2600!
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

With the RX8 "fixed", all that needs is a drop for the S2000 and ITR is going to take off.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

You may have a hard time getting the SN 95 car to 2470? I worked like crazy to get an fox body ITB car to 2600!
    Yep, I have a feeling it'd be impossible. But, the process doesn't worry too much about that and at least the car has a chance at something lower than 2850 lbs.

the domination of the ITS RX-7 at the ARRC?
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Ron, I saw the article in Sportscar. I do not know the difference in HP between the Dynojet and the DynaPack that they used. Maybe RX-8's with a good tune can make 218 or so but I do not think they will last. I also do not know how lean that car was tuned, I would imagine you could go leaner on an autocross car than a roadracer.

matt