Thread: Racing my datsun 210 in ITC

Default Racing my datsun 210 in ITC

I am wanting to eventually race in a scca race and am wondering what class to aim for with my 1980 datsun 210 for next year. My plan is to leave the engine mainly stock and gut the car, put in roll cage, fully upgrade the suspension/brakes and run dot tires. I was thinking the class I would run in would be ITC. In ITC there are a lot of datsun 510 guys that race in that class. My car's engine (A14 1400cc pushrod motor) maybe a little bit less in hp than a 510's L16. Though could i compensate by taking more weight off to compete? Is that legal? Also what other cars race in ITC so i have an idea of what i am going up against. I also think this class would be perfect for my situation as i do not have tons of money to invest in a fully built engine yet. This class seems to be a momentum class which is also something i like. Anyways are there other ITC guys in here that race datsuns and know about the 210's and could give me their opinion on the car i have and being in an ITC class? What do you people think?

RW -

I haven't seen any 210's in the northeast, but no matter what you build, you should get a rule book before you spend any money or chop your car up.

Unless you have a lot of time before you want to get on the track, I would suggest you save your money and buy a car already done.

Depending on the condition of your 210, maybe start out by going to time trials with your current car. Put in a rollbar and seat and belts, some wheels and tire, brakes, etc, and run it stock. you will learn a lot about car control and have some fun while you are at it.

good luck...
    Bob Tackman
    NER
    #25 ITC Datsun 510

You'll want to download the SCCA GCR (class rules) from their web site. Weights are specified for each car in IT so you have a race minimum weight that you have to meet. The net result is (probably) that a 210 is probably going to be at a disadvantage.

The bigger issue is that, while it might feel like you are spending less $$ starting with your current car rather than buying one, you'll discover that you can spend $2000 on a cage for a $1000 car, only to end up with something that's worth exactly $0 because nobody wants it. There's a really nice looking 510 in the classfieds here, and other options out there as well, that would save you money in the long run.

K

RW, If you are going to race your Datsun/Nissan 210, use the larger A15 engine. More Hp. The A14 and A15 use the same head, block and bore, just a crank/piston/rods change.

Peter