Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Open Coolers

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    I'm not implying... I'm flat out stating that there is a legal solution to your PS overheating problem. Sometimes the answer isn't to rewrite a rule, it's to think deeper and broader on how to take advantage of the current ruleset to solve your problem.

Tell ya' what, swing by my paddock at next years ARRC and we can talk about it over a beer or 6 if you don't have it sorted out by then. (FWIW, I was the blue Civic trying to close in on you during the ARRC Sprint this year. Couldn't quite pull it off though... you've definitely got some straight line talent compared to where I was!).

Christian
    Christian I never drink on race weekends ( As my nose grows longer) I would like to see your idea. My point is that this very creative rules interpretation stuff is why we have a difficult time adjusting rules even if they make sense.

And yeah Neons handle well in a stright line. I can tell you though that my striaghtline speeds are not the highest in the class.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit07 View Post
    Power Steering is part of the steering system, not the engine?
    Then explain why power steering lines are mentioned in D.1.h, "Reciprocating Engines": "Oil and power steering hoses may be replaced with metal braided hose (i.e. Aeroquip)"?

Sorry, SCCA, can't have it both ways...

Oh, and ITAC guys? If you attempt to change this, please note that this is NOT "Errors and Omissions," it's a rule change, that must go through the whole process. Always has been...

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Then explain why power steering lines are mentioned in D.1.h, "Reciprocating Engines": "Oil and power steering hoses may be replaced with metal braided hose (i.e. Aeroquip)"?

Oh, and ITAC guys? If you attempt to change this, please note that this is NOT "Errors and Omissions," it's a rule change, that must go through the whole process. Always has been...

GA
    I see your point.
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

On a completely seperate note I'm intrigued by this notion of dual use cars in NASA CA. You have hordes of gentleman racers building 1/2 prepped cars, racing them on Sunday and the wife PDX's it on Saturday? I have to think 97% of the people reading this are laughing out loud right now at the thought or their spouse driving the car on Saturday. But, I grew up in CA, I know it's different out there..
    Its more of a family thing in those situations. Sometimes its wives and husbands, sometimes its fathers and sons, sometimes its mothers and daughters. In more then few cases the person driving in the TT turns faster laps then the person driving in the race. And some of the "gentleman" racers are ex-SCCA divisional and national champs driving fully prepared cars.

OK: Uncle. I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
    Just taking notes from you...

However, PS coolers are free simply because of D.3.b: "Oil cooler(s) may be added or substituted." Power steering is part of the engine. Power steering fluid is a hydraulic oil. It needs to be cooled.

Thus, power steering fluid radiators are free. Always have been.

GA, whose NX2000 came with a PS cooler from the factory; well, if you consider a steel tube that passes left then right across the front of the car a "cooler". SE-Rs actually have finned coolers stock...
    Interesting "read" and sounds relatively solid. Certainly not something I was thinking of. FWIW, my EX has the same sort of PS finned loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit07 View Post
    Christian I never drink on race weekends ( As my nose grows longer) I would like to see your idea. My point is that this very creative rules interpretation stuff is why we have a difficult time adjusting rules even if they make sense.

And yeah Neons handle well in a stright line. I can tell you though that my striaghtline speeds are not the highest in the class.
    Never drink on race weekends? Riiiiiight.

That's the tough thing with rules. Make a seemingly simple change and you open up a ton of ways to exploit it. IMO, better the devil we know than the devil we don't.

I doubt that I'm that far off you on pure top speed but your torque would kill me coming off T7... even when I got a decent run on you.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

GA
    No need to change. It's in the engine section.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post

I doubt that I'm that far off you on pure top speed but your torque would kill me coming off T7... even when I got a decent run on you.
    Yeah, getting a run on a Neon always seems to make people upset. We are so slow through corners, yet still seem to drive away............. Seems to be the only advantage we have. Although I have to say that the new brake compounds I am using seemed to have helped in the brake department.
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777