Thread: Rotor Housings 13B

Question Rotor Housings 13B

Are the rotor housings the same for the 86-90 13B Non turbo? Have 2 "parts engines" wondered what could be interchanged. Thanks T Weaver "In off season mode"
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Here's a good rotor housing identification chart.

http://www.banzai-racing.com/faq_housings_ID.htm

They are interchangeable.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

The S4 (86-88) and S5 (89-92) have the spark plugs located in different places. That's not indicated in the link above. Though I've never heard a good explanation on the reason for the change or if one is better than the other, it would be wise to not mix the two.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

Thanks for Info. Have to get the magnifer out and take a look. One has the insert loose in the housing?? Damn heavy to roll around on garage floor. Anyboby come up with a cradle/stand to set engine on? T Weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

There is a stand in the back of your garage....and they call me arrive and drive
    W J Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by tdw6974 View Post
    Thanks for Info. Have to get the magnifer out and take a look. One has the insert loose in the housing?? Damn heavy to roll around on garage floor. Anyboby come up with a cradle/stand to set engine on? T Weaver

The exhaust inserts are held in by roll pins. They will come loose on occasion. When it comes to removing those pins the easiest method I have used is to build up a ball of weld with the MIG gun on the end of the pin. Clamp a pair of vise grips to the ball and pull the pin out.

Pineapple, Mazdatrix, and others sell an adapter plate for use with a traditional engine stand for the rotary. I've made my own from steel plate. All the adapters I have seen mount the engine front the AC/PS bracket studs on the front iron.

Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com