Thread: SCCA Annual Waiver "Hard Card"

Question SCCA Annual Waiver "Hard Card"

So the SCCA has a new program called a “Hard Card” that is supposed to save you time by not requiring you to sign the waiver at the track. How long does that take, all of five seconds? How much is this new Hard Card program going to cost the SCCA?

I’m pretty sure the areas that I race in are going to say something like “well, I don’t know about that but you need to sign the waiver” if I show up with one of these things at the track.

Sounds like good money after a bad program. And I love the foot note on the application "At some locations a track waiver may still need to be signed"

Northern New Jersey was promoting it at the NARRC Runoffs at NARRC. I am not sure about other regions or tracks. Seems like SCCA is trying to quell the annoying factor - I'm not sure at what costs.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

The problem is the track, independent of the SCCA, is still going to require a waiver. And I bet most regions will want it too to be on the safe side.

Ron locally we have been using the hard card for workers for a year now. Drivers still have to sign. We have not had a track problem at either of our region’s tracks. As was said I think it is one small step toward the eventual automated registration process.
    Someday we will pull up to a pylon do a retina scan and proceed into the track.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Man, I can't say enough how cool and convenient the Grand-Am hard card system is. Got a hard card, you get waved in by track personnel. No stopping at reg, no hassles, no nothing. We can only dream...

I'm signing up for it as we speak...BTW, while SCCA will accept everything for renewal (membership app, medical, license app) via email PDF they still need to get that signed waiver form in hard copy...sooo close...
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 11-11-2009 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Man, I can't say enough how cool and convenient the Grand-Am hard card system is. Got a hard card, you get waved in by track personnel. No stopping at reg, no hassles, no nothing. We can only dream...

I'm signing up for it as we speak...BTW, while SCCA will accept everything for renewal (membership app, medical, license app) via email PDF they still need to get that signed waiver form in hard copy...sooo close...
    RX7 drivers have been been using the hard card for years now. One look at our cars and track workers just know we are there to race....LOL.
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 11-11-2009 at 10:49 PM.

Got mine, love it! (in concept)
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

I don't know how this will work out in the long run, but at the ARRC, I showed up with my hard card and still had to sign the SCCA waiver (and got a nice little sticker put on my nice new card). Just like the old license, except it's now harder. Woohoo! Oh yeah, and I still had to stand in line for half an hour.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

From a registrar's perspective - I love the new hard card!! I don't have to stress and search to double and triple check to be sure that every driver and worker who goes into a "Hot Area" has already signed the waiver. That waiver is on file at the national office.

If you're a driver or a crew guy, you owe it to your family to get the hard card. In the event of something catastrophic, you are already covered by SCCA's insurance. There is no trying to find your signature in pages of waivers. Again, because that waiver is already on file at the national office.

The west coast (aka San Francisco Region) has been using this for some time. It seems to work well for them. We're still working through the implementation in MiDiv, and we learn a little bit more about it each event.

I thought the cost of the hard card was waived for licensed drivers (like it is for volunteers with a minimum number of days service). So, it's mostly the crew folks who have to pay for the hard card. And, some of them don't come to registration and sign the waiver anyway. So, in those cases, I'm really glad they can get a hard card.

Kelley Huxtable
    MVRG Chief Registrar
    DMVR
    "PLAY SAFE"

Quote Originally Posted by TomL View Post
    I don't know how this will work out in the long run, but at the ARRC, I showed up with my hard card and still had to sign the SCCA waiver (and got a nice little sticker put on my nice new card). Just like the old license, except it's now harder. Woohoo! Oh yeah, and I still had to stand in line for half an hour.
    '

Tom, this is exactly what I was getting at in that I think the concept is very different from the reality. This is precisely what I figured would happen in the SE.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    '

Tom, this is exactly what I was getting at in that I think the concept is very different from the reality. This is precisely what I figured would happen in the SE.

R
    Beg to differ, Ron, but it's worse than that!!!!! At the ARRC, when my wife and I went to registration, we did not have to sign the waiver, since we had hard cards. So, even at the same event, the requirements seem to be different!

Let's see, Nelson Ledges - no SCCA or Track waiver, but had to wear the track wrist band.

Mid-Ohio - did not have to sign the SCCA waiver, but had to sign the track waiver and wear a sticky dot on the hard card.

Road America for the Runoffs - did not have to sign the SCCA waiver, but had to wear a wrist band around the hard card.

Road Atlanta - ARRC - did not have to sign the SCCA waiver, but had to wear a sticky on the hard card.

I carried a hard card for USAC and the IRL for many years, and since everyone was authorized to attend every event, it really worked out well, This is the way it should be for the workers, crew, etc. I think that drivers or entrants, however need to at least show up at registration to get information any information that is particular to that event.

Maybe SCCA National should work with the tracks and get agreements from them to accept the SCCA annual waiver.

By the way, I remember a couple of years ago, at Mid-Ohio, workers had to sign not only the accident waiver form, but a TV rights form, giving the IRL permission to broadcast our pictures if we happend to get into the background of any of their broadcast shots!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Bill that sounds like no fun. I think I'll avoid the hard card for the tracks I go to - CMP, Roebling, VIR, Rockingham, and I hope RA this year. It is easier - sign waivers, wear wrist band. That process I understand and it makes logical sense to me.

I think the hard card is a step in the right direction. Maybe one day they can use EZ Pass technology and I won't even have to get out of my truck on the way to the paddock. That would save about an hour at Lime Rock.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Bill that sounds like no fun. I think I'll avoid the hard card for the tracks I go to - CMP, Roebling, VIR, Rockingham, and I hope RA this year. It is easier - sign waivers, wear wrist band. That process I understand and it makes logical sense to me.

Or you can just look at it as no longer having to add a picture and get it laminated. That's that way I look at it. It's free and saves me time and energy. If I still have to sign at registration, It's no different than normal. Granted I have had the hard card this year, but haven't got to use it yet!
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

The hard card is a big step forward for minors who had to have a parent handy to sign waivers before. Next year you will find more of the Southeast tracks ready to deal with them.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

We got a hard card for Andrea this year because it was just easier for a 16-yr old minor who can now go in the hot pits and work. Getting the form notarized was the worst part (but only because someone decided he wanted to do it for himself also after we were already at the bank for the notary and we didn't have more forms with us.) For the minor both parents signatures had to be notarized. Then just email a .jpg picture to Topeka.
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

I've had my hard card for the entire season and have not signed a waiver yet this year. If you have to sign it is really a training issue, either at the individual volunteer level or possible the local registrar.

I am certainly all for the system as it now takes me less than 60 seconds to register as a driver and even less hassle as a worker.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Ok ok, I'll get one. But I'm getting it fully expecting to be signing waivers and having the normal check in in the SE, which is fine by me.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the hard card. Just a matter of training the registrars and tracks. Can't wait until they add scanning of the bar code!

BTW, did anyone get the email from Topeka announcing that they were streamlining some of the membership/license renewal processes? They will be mailing out medical exam forms only to drivers who need them as opposed to everyone. They are also going to track National race participation so you will not have to mail race documentation when you renew. This process will be added for Regional races in the future.

A side note for the Regional race data, we should be able to get participation numbers.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com