Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about motor mounts

Default Question about motor mounts

Last weekend at Road Atlanta, I saw a GTI Rabbit that the owner had for sale. I took one of the flyers, just to review, and noticed something that raised my eyebrows. Under the Engine/Transmission section, the owner listed 'Urethane engine mounts and bushings'. I was under the impression that engine mounts had to remain stock, no?
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

correct

Need to be stock crap. Mine bust a lot but they are legal. However, I need to take advantage of that stay rod rule because I could probably cut down on mount replacement.

plus 1 for the stay rod... the VIR dyno guys were getting a good chuckle at how much my motor was moving around with new stock mounts... probably doesn't help the numbers either.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

I saw the flyer too - it lists more than a few non-compliant items. Easily correctable though....

Bob Hudson, Atlanta Region ProIT Chief Steward
    Last edited by bhudson; 11-10-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure what I was reading. I will file that flyer away.
    92 ITA Saturn

The motor mount rule really needs to be changed. You can spend a million dollars replacing every bushing in the car except the motor mounts. How does that make any sense!??! If you happen to be one of those cars that breaks motor mounts all the time, or worse transmission cases like in the Civic EX, you either have to run cheater mounts or take you chances trying to get a stay rod to work. Lame.

Quote Originally Posted by SPiFF View Post
    The motor mount rule really needs to be changed.
    + eleventybillion. It's really, really, really stupid that we can't change the stock engine bushing insert materials.

And, yes, I've written the letter, 6-8 of them over the last 20-ish years. All rejected.

Add Z front diff mounts to your letter next time. I'm sure they're just waiting for a big enough request.....snort.
    katman

So I take it that the additional urethane inserts that you see in most of the kits that just slide into the original rubber mounts are also illegal. You are not replacing or modifying just adding the urethane material in addition too. Of course it is not specifically listed in the rules as a approved mod. therefore no deal. I really find it strange why we can't get it changed. It's not like you cant buy a full kit for just about every car that is spec'd. I'm sure there are some though. I would imagine the reasoniong behind it is because it would be hard to police and some people would be looking into solid mounts versus inserts versus urethane etc.. etc..
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Although I fully agree there should be an allowance for this, with stay rods being free, are there that many situations that a stay rod can't at least help a crappy mount?

+1 on the diff mounts, trans mounts to be included too since many are what hold up the motor.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    I really find it strange why we can't get it changed.
    Because you are still under the impression that the SCCA is a club by members for members. Once you get that crazy notion out of your head then everything is much clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Because you are still under the impression that the SCCA is a club by members for members. Once you get that crazy notion out of your head then everything is much clearer.
    Rational reasoning be dammed! We've got to hold that line against the slippery slope!!!!!!! (OK, took my tongue out of my cheek, I can talk normally again.)

It's another one of those things that's right in the middle of the road. We say we want rules stability, but at the same time we say we want change. We probably could have had the little stuff like motor mounts, water bottles, jacking plates changed if we had not allowed big changes like ECU's and threaded body shocks.
    92 ITA Saturn

Can I hear an AMEN!?!!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

FYI, I'm sending this rule change request to the CRB/ITAC. We'll see what happens. Otherwise I guess I'll build an engine stay rod

Engine and drivetrain mounts may be replaced, but must attach in the factory
    location(s) without additional modification or changes. Engine
    position may not be changed. The volume of metal in a
    replacement mount may not be increased relative to the volume
    of metal found in a stock mount for the particular application.
    Solid metal mounts are specifically prohibited. Any non-metallic
    inserts may be used.

Hydraulic shock type rear engine locators, or bobble struts may
    be replaced by manufacturer’s performance part, or aftermarket
    replacement part. This part must retain factory dimensions and
    attachment points, including factory design. (Example: If factory
    locator/bobble strut is gas or hydraulic piston type, replacement
    part must be gas or hydraulic piston type. No solid mounts may
    be substituted.)
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    FYI, I'm sending this rule change request to the CRB/ITAC. We'll see what happens. Otherwise I guess I'll build an engine stay rod
    Tom, I don't think your looking at the big picture on this, your mounts are easy to just fill, buy stiffer ones etc. But some cars, especially rwd cars it would be much easier to make metal mounts than to fill some of the stock mounts i've seen that break. More importantly if your not limiting the material besides saying no metal, i'm not sure what the benefit to a rule change is that exludes metal engine mounts but nothing else. You can still basically get as stiff as you'd like, your choice, autoclaved carbonfiber engine mounts anybody?

+1

Allow us to change the stock rubber mounts that are desigend to break for something more durable. If it's urethane, delrin, or aluminum I don't care. I just don't want to have to swap out stock mounts just because they are tired from running a few races. Actually, there are aluminum mounts for my application, but I'd not run them as it stresses the motor too much, I'd just stick with urethane/delrin for a little compliance.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

What RWD car are you talking about?

With a quick google search I found $100 poly engine mounts for 240Z's, RX-7s, BMWs, and Miatas

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

Give it up fellows. You can talk it up all you want but there won't be any changing of mount material in IT land. Don't you know that leads down the road to Prod???? Jeez, you'd think you fellows just joined the board around here. Next thing you know you'll want to remove your washer bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Give it up fellows. You can talk it up all you want but there won't be any changing of mount material in IT land. Don't you know that leads down the road to Prod???? Jeez, you'd think you fellows just joined the board around here. Next thing you know you'll want to remove your washer bottles.
    Now now Ron, a little less skeptical angst eh? You never know what the committee will do. Engine mounts have a good story behind them and from my angle, they are philosophically similar to other allowances. I imagine the ITAC has differing views from member to member, but it's not unanimous, that's for sure. Now washer bottles?? Give it up!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com