Thread: Question about motor mounts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    FYI, I'm sending this rule change request to the CRB/ITAC. We'll see what happens. Otherwise I guess I'll build an engine stay rod
    Tom, I don't think your looking at the big picture on this, your mounts are easy to just fill, buy stiffer ones etc. But some cars, especially rwd cars it would be much easier to make metal mounts than to fill some of the stock mounts i've seen that break. More importantly if your not limiting the material besides saying no metal, i'm not sure what the benefit to a rule change is that exludes metal engine mounts but nothing else. You can still basically get as stiff as you'd like, your choice, autoclaved carbonfiber engine mounts anybody?

+1

Allow us to change the stock rubber mounts that are desigend to break for something more durable. If it's urethane, delrin, or aluminum I don't care. I just don't want to have to swap out stock mounts just because they are tired from running a few races. Actually, there are aluminum mounts for my application, but I'd not run them as it stresses the motor too much, I'd just stick with urethane/delrin for a little compliance.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

What RWD car are you talking about?

With a quick google search I found $100 poly engine mounts for 240Z's, RX-7s, BMWs, and Miatas

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

Give it up fellows. You can talk it up all you want but there won't be any changing of mount material in IT land. Don't you know that leads down the road to Prod???? Jeez, you'd think you fellows just joined the board around here. Next thing you know you'll want to remove your washer bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Give it up fellows. You can talk it up all you want but there won't be any changing of mount material in IT land. Don't you know that leads down the road to Prod???? Jeez, you'd think you fellows just joined the board around here. Next thing you know you'll want to remove your washer bottles.
    Now now Ron, a little less skeptical angst eh? You never know what the committee will do. Engine mounts have a good story behind them and from my angle, they are philosophically similar to other allowances. I imagine the ITAC has differing views from member to member, but it's not unanimous, that's for sure. Now washer bottles?? Give it up!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I think it is fair and appropriate to say that they are being discussed by the ITAC. There are differing viewpoints, so no guarantees, but letters to let your viewpoint be known would be helpful.....
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Heck, Ron - I'm gone so there's one less obstacle in your way. Besides, an engine mount allowance request would give the ITAC something to do since they can't change weights anymore.

K