Thread: Who actually won?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Insane?.....

Quote Originally Posted by jmark View Post
    Sorry I missed the race David. I wondered what put you out. That ITS time by Huffmaster is insane. It was indeed a record by a bunch. Sounds like they found something......Where was Matt's BMW?
    Yeah a record by bout second and a half...... Insane, not really....extremely well driven car, well prepped, with much softer tires then I thought possible for road course use,,,,,,, Track had a few changes "paving" last year or so, to be a little quicker I've heard. I thought R6s were crack.....what do you cal A6s....?? Really wish I had stuffed my ears with bees wax, to avoid hearing the tale of the A6 magic grip....The Sirens are singing, driving me crazy now!!!!!!!! Argghh...Tie me to the mast as we pass by this island please!!!!!!! Hopefully this crazy urge will pass by spring time.....
    Matt was flying on thursday practice day, looking smooth.....Blew a head gasket to the point of blowing water out the tail pipe......
    30 year old ITS car

Quote Originally Posted by dspillrat View Post
    Insane, not really....extremely well driven car, well prepped,

I had the opportunity on Saturday to follow Huffmaster for part of a lap. He is amazingly quick through 3-4 the esses and 5. And through 6-7 smooth as hell. I almost stayed with him down the back straight and was out of 10-b as he went under the bridge. By the time I went under the bridge, he was already exiting 12. The car is 10/10ths but so is his driving.

I wondered what happened to you David. Glad it was just a lug, not worse.

Tom

Oh, yeah, and the fastest guys won. Conquered is more like it.

Ah so they did find something tire wise......Of course the car had to be set up to run the race on those tires.

Huffmaster was running on A compounds? I get how a relatively light ITA CRX could do that but surprised with a heavier car begin able to last a race using them.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Default A compound tires....

Yep,
    "A" compounds they were......

I'm sure it takes a really smooth driver, and a well tuned suspension,with great shocks to not over-use the tires with un-needed motion or slippage..... Not sure how its gonna work on an archaic setup like an early Z... But if my R6s are going off before 20 laps, I'm sure it'll be a challenge to get 10 laps on even softer tires.....

My source is saying it can be done, and has used em for couple years now....I just hadn't noticed....
    30 year old ITS car

That is a fast time no doubt. But I am like you guys, wish I had not heard of the A6 thing........not good at all!
    Charles Perry
    ITS #21 280zx

Guess it will be like F1 now. A's to qualify on and R's to race on(unless you can make the A's last ).

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Huffmaster was running on A compounds? I get how a relatively light ITA CRX could do that but surprised with a heavier car begin able to last a race using them.
    A6's should last on IT cars without an issue. I run them on my T3 car(much heavier (2970lbs)with less suspension mods(we are only allowed shocks). I even get multiple sessions(ususally 3 race/qualifying before I notice a drop in grip) out of them. Usually the A's will cycle out before they wear out.
    John Costello
    2009 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    2010 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    King Motorsports
    Hoosier Tire
    Chase Cam
    Redline Oil
    YEA YEA YEA......I sold out and now drive an SM and get schooled on a regular basis!

I bet i would burn up A6s on the rears in several laps......wow....more IT escalation! All part of the game.

Holy crap a 38 in the race is fast. Shows it can be done though I guess....

David, sorry to hear about your issue. One day, the ARRC Gods will smile on your Dino-ITS car I think....still time.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Steve, A6's are not that much softer than R's. Almost every T1-3 races on A's at the nationals not just the runoffs. 3700lb Vipers, 3550 lb Corvettes run them in the longer races at nationals without a problem. I have seen up to 230 miles on A6's with good tire management. Something as light as a 240z on 225/45/15's will last a good long time.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by dspillrat View Post
    Yeah a record by bout second and a half...... Insane, not really....extremely well driven car, well prepped, with much softer tires then I thought possible for road course use,,,,,,, Track had a few changes "paving" last year or so, to be a little quicker I've heard. I thought R6s were crack.....what do you cal A6s....?? Really wish I had stuffed my ears with bees wax, to avoid hearing the tale of the A6 magic grip....The Sirens are singing, driving me crazy now!!!!!!!! Argghh...Tie me to the mast as we pass by this island please!!!!!!! Hopefully this crazy urge will pass by spring time.....
    Matt was flying on thursday practice day, looking smooth.....Blew a head gasket to the point of blowing water out the tail pipe......
    It'll be cool temps in the spring too David! Bet you could run them at the Runoffs at Road America as cool as it is there..... Hummmmm.

my times should not be used for any type of analysis. heck, i was faster last year than i achieved this year.

congrats to the winners! my driving skills were the only thing that i kept me from going faster.

but at least this year i finished all 20 laps and never hit a wall.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Tom,

You should see if you can get a recording of the play by play. I know it wasn't as good as being there but it certainly made it exciting sitting 600 miles away!! Maybe try to do what Vaughan did last year and overlay the video and audio.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

The ARRC was a fantastic weekend. I rented an ITB car from Kirk and enjoyed learning the track and the car. That "downhill" is wild at speed. The track does not appear until you are about 1/2 way down the hill.
    Kudos to NER driver Fred White taking 3rd in ITC! And former NER Jinx for taking 1st!

The weekend was a great change from the usual NHMS that I run too frequently. I have to go back!
    Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

Quote Originally Posted by almracing View Post

The weekend was a great change from the usual NHMS that I run too frequently. I have to go back!
    How you gonna keep em down on the farm after they’ve seen RA
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by almracing View Post
    The ARRC was a fantastic weekend. I rented an ITB car from Kirk and enjoyed learning the track and the car. That "downhill" is wild at speed. The track does not appear until you are about 1/2 way down the hill.
    Sounds like Kirk shoulda rented you a phone book to sit on, too!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Tom,

You should see if you can get a recording of the play by play. I know it wasn't as good as being there but it certainly made it exciting sitting 600 miles away!! Maybe try to do what Vaughan did last year and overlay the video and audio.
    if i had been thinking this is what i would have done;

1. pull one of the several 10# metal bricks from my ITB car.
    2. pull the radio out of my street crx/pit cart that i had with me.
    3. install said radio in the ITB car.
    4. listen to the race while in the race.

then i would have known where the leaders were going to lap me and planned it better.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL