Thread: Food for thought, camfire ignition system?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think what you propose is legal since distributors are free but the accuracy (non-crank sensor) is a big technological hurdle.

There are a lot of people that run VWs on Megasquirt using the 4 window hall signal.

It will be no less accurate than the current ignition, but you can map it.
    Yes the timing will 'walk' a little bit with rpm, but again, you can map it to compensate.

The bigger issue has been controlling the fuel side of CIS-E in a more sophisticated manner than WOT enrichment. Been working on it for a while, and IMO there is a solution, but I am not convinced that it is not better to just use Digifant hardware and make it simple to integrate an aftermarket ECU. I am converting my car with DIYAutotune's help, and will have some data on area under the curve for both setups to compare.
    Last edited by shwah; 10-28-2009 at 06:08 PM.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    There are a lot of people that run VWs on Megasquirt using the 4 window hall signal.

It will be no less accurate than the current ignition, but you can map it.
    Yes the timing will 'walk' a little bit with rpm, but again, you can map it to compensate.

The bigger issue has been controlling the fuel side of CIS-E in a more sophisticated manner than WOT enrichment. Been working on it for a while, and IMO there is a solution, but I am not convinced that it is not better to just use Digifant hardware and make it simple to integrate an aftermarket ECU. I am converting my car with DIYAutotune's help, and will have some data on area under the curve for both setups to compare.
    I think I've gotta argee with you Chris, given my choice I'd just do a digi conversion.
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works
    We Install and Tune Megasquirt Systems
    #97 GTL Scirocco (for sale)
    ABA Corrado powered by MS3. 40+ MPG