Thread: Struts - Inserts or premade?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Don't get hung up on the "inserts versus integral" design issue; it's irrelevant. The performance difference simply due to that design factor is insignificant. What's important is 'are the dampers doing what you need them to do and at a price you can afford'.

I ran Koni 8611s in the ITA NX2000, simply because there was nothing comparable available pre-made at a price I could pay. And, since no one made 8611 housing using a geometry that worked for our race car, Matt designed and fabricated our own housings. IMO, Koni 8611s are the best value-to-price strut damper out there; I never found anything that worked as well at that price. I did, however, have to have them revalved to work with the springs rates I preferred (~500F, ~1000 rear, at a near-1:1 motion ratio).

If you've got the coin, I don't think you can do any better than the Koni 2817 struts, but at $1500 each they're pricey. I suspect that had I kept the NX they'd have a set on them now...

So, again, scan the market for what's available for your car, and get some shock dyno charts to see if they'll do what you need them to. But don't get hung up on the design details.

GA

Thanks Greg. My take-away is cost and availability. I haven't gotten quotes yet, but I'm getting the feeling that I'll find that the 8611+external housing will still be the cost leader by a large margin. I appreciate the feedback!
    Dave Youngren
    NER ITA RX7 #71

Talk to Lee Grimes. It's like an inside line to the engineers brain.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Talk to Lee Grimes. It's like an inside line to the engineers brain.
    Talked to him last friday, probably spent 30 minutes or so on the phone..

He will be at SEMA all this week, so he will not be at the "office"
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]