Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is going to win?.........

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBill View Post
    Well, maybe it's the fact that I first went over the downhill at LRP back in '67 or '68 and I've slept a few since then........

But I will never forget coming thru West Bend at 90 in a 427 Cobra with Mark Donohue and wondering how the car was going to fit under the bridge!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a similar memory with Bruce MacInnes in a Sprinter van!!

it's too bad they have since raised the bridge :/

and Greg, you don't give LRP nearly enough credit! But to each his own...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Actually, Chris, I gave LRP a *LOT* of credit. I grew up in Texas simply dreaming of the "mystique" of Lime Rock Park, relishing the Memorial Day race on TV after watching the Indy 500 and the Coca Cola 600 (?) the weekend before. When I came to CT for the first time my visit to LRP was the *first* thing I did, even before going to the hotel. And, yep, I ducked the first time I drove under The Bridge.

But since then, the mystique has quickly worn off. I've driven nearly two decades at that place, most of it on worn, buckled, and cracking pavement (on places where it wasn't a concrete patch). Most of it has been paddocking on dirt (when it wasn't mud or out-and-out standing water). Bathrooms are minimal - non-existent in the B Paddock - and it's only recently I haven't had to pay someone extra to clean them. Showers? Yeah, right.

And then there's the track. It was world-class course -- in 1959, when there were few other choices. Only 1.5 miles, visually attractive mostly because it has "park" in the name. Only recently has it been redesigned such that it won't ALWAYS kill you when you make a simple mistake, and that was only due to coming *this* close to losing one of its very few profitable weekends. And, recently the costs involved in playing there as a club has nearly tripled, and it's rare that I get out of there as a spectator for two bills when all is said and done.

And, of course, each time I decide to race (or sometimes spectate) there, it usually requires an additional day off work because there's no racing on Sunday. Oh, but that adds to the mystique, right...?

Bottom line, the dogs bark but the caravan moves on. Lime Rock Park was nice in its day, but that day is long past; there are so many better, world-class facilities, some of them historical but highly revised, most of them built within the last couple decades. Hell, even crappy-ass Nelson Ledges and Hallett are better tracks as driver's courses! If someone built Lime Rock Park exactly as it sits now, it would be heralded as a great "country club" facility for those with tons of money to drive their Ferraris around, but it would be unlikely to garner a lot of attention from the racers. And it would NEVER get a major date like ALMS. Not in a million years.

I do like the breakfast sandwiches and tots, though. Could live on those for a long time.

Hey, you always remember your first time: I still hold a soft spot for Texas World Speedway with its crappy roval configuration and a long sense of history with Indy and NASCAR. But in the light of day, when you look back at the high school yearbook photo of the girl you got your first kiss from, you soon recognize she was as dumpy as the rest of them...

I'm not sure I'm catching your drift Greg??

LOL

I ducked the first time under the bridge at LRP. I also drove one of those Sprinter vans with an A/C unit on top at one of the schools. They strongly "suggested" not hitting the brakes while going under it............. Even under power I still heard a "thump" as I went under.

It's not the down hill at RA that's scary............ it's the concrete walls that seem to be only feet off the pavement at the bottom!!!

To each his own on tracks. I'm probably the only one in the world that likes Pocono.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Nah, Steph likes Poke-In-Nose also. Don't know why, I find it boring.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    It's not the down hill at RA that's scary............ it's the concrete walls that seem to be only feet off the pavement at the bottom!!!
    But at least it's just a case of "seems like" - not like Thunder Valley at Mid-O, before they moved the wall back... there were times you prayed you'd not miss the gravel! :eek:
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

And, of course, each time I decide to race (or sometimes spectate) there, it usually requires an additional day off work because there's no racing on Sunday. Oh, but that adds to the mystique, right...?
    WTF? No racing on Sunday? Sunday IS race day. When are the races, Fri and Sat? That makes it tough on the club racers with jobs.

No dog in this fight and I'd like to drive LRP sometime. But my only experience with it is in iRacing and it seems a bit short for a road course. But, hey, you have to drive what you have nearby and if this is it then so be it, still looks fun.

Uh, 'fale'. You're not going fast if you do that.
    You're just using to driving the NX too much there. Bet if you did that with Pablo or another B car you'd be faster. Actually, Chris Albin and Justin Poole "showed" me that.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Bet if you did that with Pablo or another B car you'd be faster. Actually, Chris Albin and Justin Poole "showed" me that.
    You just lost the bet.

You must not have heard, I drove Pablo there two days ago. If I had tried to keep Pablo checked up so I didn't have to drive out over that exit curb under the S/F stand I would have lost a lot of speed on the straight (yes, I have DL-1 data). I watched the ARRC races and all the leaders (and fast guys) were tracking out. I can't IMAGINE why ANYONE would think that pinching in a car on track-out is faster; would you do the same on the Downhill at LRP? Of course not, that's just silly.

And, by the way, I was faster than Chris Albin in qualifying.

A 6-pack of Sam's Octoberfest would be a fine ante-up. Better hurry, it's soon to go out of season.

GA

No beer for you! At least not for that reason.

Heck, if one's doing it right they're not fully at the left going down the hill to save real estate.
    We're talking two different parts of the downhill. I'm talking about going down the hill before the right hand turn; you're talking about track out. I suppose one could stay far left down the hill and try not tracking out as far.

I'm thinking about doing some really dumb things just so I can get my butt down there next year. Stupid racing!
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    I'm talking about going down the hill before the right hand turn; you're talking about track out.
    Ah! I pretty much go all the way left there, but I can see the basis of the variation of opinion. Probably not a viable alternative in faster cars though.
    I'm thinking about doing some really dumb things just so I can get my butt down there next year.
    If you are doing things in order to ensure participation in the ARRC, they cannot, by core definition, be dumb, no matter what they are. Resolved!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Ah! I pretty much go all the way left there, but I can see the basis of the variation of opinion. Probably not a viable alternative in faster cars though.
    I was not using all of the track over there typically. You could probably squeeze another car in there most of the time.

Greggy-poo (as Diminio likes to say), reading comprehension ownz you!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Jeff-

I love Pocono All the configurations!!! also Love RA and LRP!

Nothing beats Mt. Washington though!!! Wish that was still an option

The only track I really don't like is NHMS.... Havn't raced at the track in 3 or 4 years I think??? And I lived within 20 or so minutes from the track until recently!

Raymond "I want to go to Summit and VIR!" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Summit Point Labor Day event next year!!! It's one of the best overall weekends and has something for everyone. There's a ton of racing, the wives and others can head into D.C. or whatever, lots of B cars, neat track......
    Dave Gran

^^^Sexist pig!!
    I'll go shopping, Steph can stay and race!!
    Ed Funk

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    ^^^Sexist pig!!
    I'll go shopping, Steph can stay and race!!
    Well given this year that might be safer.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

You talkin' 'bout me!??!
    Ed Funk

What are you talking about, I thought you were the wife Ed?
    Dave Gran

Nah, I'm definitely the boss! She's at a trade show and not on-line today, so for a couple days, I'm in charge!
    Ed Funk

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    Nah, I'm definitely the boss! She's at a trade show and not on-line today, so for a couple days, I'm in charge!
    ROTFLMAO!!!!! Or until she reads this!