Ok so I have been trying to wire up an aftermarket Autometer Tach to the 300zx (1991 z32). So far nothing works. The car is a coil-less system with a coil pack on each spark plug. In theory I should be able to take the signal coming out the ecu and use that to trigger the tach. But that doesn't work. I have put a multimeter on the ecu tach signal output, and when in AC mode, it shows an increase in voltage as the engine revs, indicating that there is some sort of signal occurring. My question is this then, one, what type of voltage is need to run the tach? Two, are Nissans (300zxs) of that era low voltage systems, and would a tach signal amplifier help? I know the tach is good because I have used two different ones (one brand new) and gotten the same result. I have checked and rechecked, all the other wires and they are connected correctly. Third, I even tried using an Autometer Tach Adapter. but fgollowing their instructions for what looks like my system, netted me nothing also.

If there are any electrical engineers out there, please help. I will be drinking heavily so as to keep myself from throwing something heavy and jagged at my newly painted car. Thanks.