Thread: STU in 2010 runoffs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I love the idea. But after looking at the HP field this year, I may just run my B car there. It should have been good for 6th as it sits, and would get faster if I just pulled the weight and dropped in a cam.

Greg - the way I read the rules, you prep to STU or IT specs. No mixing and matching. So be careful with the 'optimization plan'.

If this plan to show up en mass for STU were to become real, I may seriously do it though...
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Greg - the way I read the rules, you prep to STU or IT specs. No mixing and matching. So be careful with the 'optimization plan'.
    Oh, sure, I understand that. But, if there's no incentive to stay within the ITx rules (e.g., "Pro-IT" spiffs) and the car meets the minimum safety requirements for a full-up STU car, then why not go play? The car would not be competitive with a full-up STU car, but I know we can get another 30 some odd ponies for DiMinno's car with a few bolt-ons, and I can imagine there's more than a few tricks out there for the Acura GS-R engine...

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    I love the idea. But after looking at the HP field this year, I may just run my B car there. It should have been good for 6th as it sits, and would get faster if I just pulled the weight and dropped in a cam.
    My ITA car is 100% FP legal; only needs a "FP" slapped on the side of it. I'm also pretty sure that in the 30 car deep FP Runoffs race, I could've finished about 16th in my ITA car as it sits. If I were to put slicks on it, pull a little weight out of it, and put the cam in it? Well, might be interesting to see, and I think it would be a lot more fun that running against four other cars in STU. JMHO.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

What is up with STU that causes it to be 85 and newer?

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    ...I think it would be a lot more fun that running against four other cars in STU. JMHO.
    Methinks you vastly misunderestimate the Caddyshack-ability of Improved Touring...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    What is up with STU that causes it to be 85 and newer?
    It used to be 1992 (?), they changed it last year to '85. It's an arbitrary number in order to keep the classes comprised of new(er) cars, preferably new(er) World Challenge cars. The last thing they want is some old British or Datsun crap sullying up their pool!

Of course, given recent courses of events (see first post in this thread) I'd not be surprised to see then relent and relax that requirement some time in the near future (oh, wait, they already have!!!)

I think I remember hearing one time that the 1985 year was picked to include fuel injected RX-7's beginning with GSL-SE in 1984-1985.
    I do think this will help the national race entries, I just hope it does not hurt the regionals too bad. STO will do well but ST will be a failure because there are only 5 or so models classified. Start planning now to do your 4 national races to qualify. You can qualify strictly as an IT car at the nationals and take a built to the rules STU car to the runoffs unless it does become a pseudo IT runoffs.

matt

A lot of us in the Northeast have been double-dipping in STU (nee D Prepared) in all the Regionals for several years now. Wasn't Bettencourt the NEDiv DP champ in 2007? And I think Doc Breault was our 2008 DP champ. Who got the first STU trophy, in 2009?

My fav DP experience was when I came within one car of lapping the entire Big Bore field at LRP in the rain in 2007, including several GT-1 cars...I had guys that thought they were fighting me for position, but they were actually fighting to keep from getting lapped!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Methinks you vastly misunderestimate the Caddyshack-ability of Improved Touring...
    Agreed. If this were to come together, and we could get an ITFest style attendance (but all in one class!) I would certainly want to join the party. If not, I am seriously looking at HP anyway (because you know 2 race cars make so much sense ) so may just get my feet wet before the car is 'ready' for it. A lot of that is driven by the Runoffs being a 3 hour tow from my house for probably the only time ever in my life.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Is this Amy and Diminno, practiciing for the ruboffs next year?

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...ck-hot-tub.jpg
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)