Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: STU in 2010 runoffs

I plan to be at the Sprints with the GTL car and hopefully my son also driving the ITB car in STU. He may even take a crack at the Runoffs..Why not? We are only 50 miles away from the track

Hmm...I've got an IT-S Benz that seems to fit the rules...higher compression, big cam, large brakes....Hmmm..wheels turning....wallet shrieking....but Brats - Yum....
    Chuck

Chuck - you will have two choices on how to run that car in STU
    1. legal to the ITS rule set - stock cams, .5 compression bump, stock brakes
    2. legal to the STU rule set - big cam, bigger compression, big brakes, etc., along with anything else required by the class - fire system, etc.

No mixing and matching that I read anywhere.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

With the way the GLDiv regional schedule has come together for 2010, and the good chance a new track will not be up and running, seems like this coming year will be the one where I go to a couple tracks I've never been before. And running STU at the Sprints works nicely into my summer schedule since my kids are at camp. So pencil in one more mid-pack ITA car.

Thread highjack: Chris, any info on this Quadruple regional at Blackhawk on May 15-16?
    Really, 4 races over the weekend? Format? Link?
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

I don't know yet, but I think it is comprised of IT fest style qualify-race-race-race-race with grids set by previous session. When I get more I will let you know.

We did something similar at Blackhawk in October, though two of the races did not have sanction numbers, but counted towards the weekend points competition. It was fun with 3 short sprints and one longer race.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Chris,
    You're right, I wasn't talking mix and match. I've got a spare motor that I could pop the pistons and cam into. Window clips and driveshaft hoops are the only things I need to add to the tub to be STU legal. The conversion back and forth is fairly easy unless I get into bigger brakes and Megasquirt.
    I figure that's about $2500 parts, race entries, travel time and misc. beer expenses....but Brats - Yum.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by callard View Post
    Chris,
    You're right, I wasn't talking mix and match. I've got a spare motor that I could pop the pistons and cam into. Window clips and driveshaft hoops are the only things I need to add to the tub to be STU legal. The conversion back and forth is fairly easy unless I get into bigger brakes and Megasquirt.
    I figure that's about $2500 parts, race entries, travel time and misc. beer expenses....but Brats - Yum.
    Chuck
    why wouldn't the mega squirt go form one to the other?
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Might be a CIS merc...
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Thinking about dropping in a turbo for the Runoffs...

stirring it up :-)

I'm have my 4 national events picked out and a 5th if I DNF. Wonder what the gas bill will be from NJ to WI in the new motorhome.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Already planing on the Runoffs for our IT7/STU POS-7! The Midiv Scott team is ALL ON BOARD with the Caddyshack corner!!!!!!! Hell, we're figuring between Mazda contingency and Club tow fund we'll have enough left over for real beer on the trip!!!!!!

Either Trey or myself will make the assault in the STU nationals this year. I haven't looked this forward to racing season in a long time!!!!!

Yeay, The Benz is a Jetronic. In IT=S form I can only use MS for ignition. In STU I could go with new injection. Not that it would be worthwile; We've already got the Jetronic working real well.
    Chuck

Can we petition for an IT/SPU paddock area?
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

1. What's keeping IT from being a National group?
    2. Can I run an ITR BMW without changing anything?
    3. Is it worth it to run it without mods if I can?
    4. Are you guys "inviting" vets and pros only or can we newbs be part of the fun too?

I went into IT for a lot of reasons. Not being able to go to the ruboffs was a con. I see where we are allowed to participate this year, but not really for anything other than participation. What's up with that?

BTW, I laughed out loud when I saw the Mongol hoard photo earlier in the thread. Awesome motivator to crash STU.

>>>1. What's keeping IT from being a National group?

History. A long discussion. Lots of beer.*

>>> 2. Can I run an ITR BMW without changing anything?

Yes.

>>> 3. Is it worth it to run it without mods if I can?

Yes, 'cause it'll be loads of fun.

>>> 4. Are you guys "inviting" vets and pros only or can we newbs be part of the fun too?

Everyone is invited, as far as I'm concerned. Just note that you must have a National license in order to run the National races needed to qualify for the National SCCA Runoffs. Yes, it's complicated.

GA

*Short answer: I.T. was a class developed in the early-80's in the Pacific Northwest as some place for aged Showroom Stock cars to run (SSx cars used to be classified for only 4 years). It was intended for local use but a lot of other regions saw its quick success and offered it in theirs. Soon thereafter, there was a move for a standardized set of rules nationwide; Englewood (Colorado, the old home of SCCA before Topeka) relented by publishing a set of rules in the GCR -- the first-ever set of nationally-recognized rules for a Regional class. However, SCCA did not want any more National classes so as part of that "relentation" Englewood specifically stated, and codified it in the rules, that I.T. was to be forever a Regional-Only class. It's been a regular argument within the I.T. ranks ever since. Yes, even before the Interwebz.

Long answer? History. A long discussion. Lots of beer.

Thanks. The short answer works. It's too bad. I'll save my breath to argue that it should be changed. But if anyone ever takes it's on seriously, I'll yell and scream with the best of them. As for the liscence, I understand I need a National standing. That depends on the $$$ of how many of the National races I can attend. Thanks, good luck.

Update:

Ray Huffmaster, Kolin Aspegren, and Myself all ran and finished both of the races at Sebring in STU. Now we just need to complete the Double at VIR and Runoffs here we come!
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

"buh buh buh buy .... Bushwood ..."

I think that your idea to run a mini IT fest in STU at the runoffs is awesome. The more the merrier. I think that STU will be undersubscribed anyway. Plus it's a bastard class shoved down the throat of national racing without member input.

Just to put some numbers around STU, there was a fairly fast (I assume) STU at the Watkins Glen national this year. Phil Parlato ran a 2:09.166.

IT lap records at WGI:
    ITA 2:17.900
    ITB 2:22.838
    ITC 2:28.228
    ITE 2:03.147
    ITR 2:14.049
    ITS 2:14.155

So if Phil's STU is a good guideline, 120% of his time at WGI is a 2:34.99. Looks easy based on the lap records above.

IMHO, in the north east WGI is likely the best comparison to RA.

-Kyle

PS: There has been talk (forum talk) of lowering the cutoff to 110%.

Quote Originally Posted by disquek View Post
    "buh buh buh buy .... Bushwood ..."

I think that your idea to run a mini IT fest in STU at the runoffs is awesome. The more the merrier. I think that STU will be undersubscribed anyway. Plus it's a bastard class shoved down the throat of national racing without member input.

Just to put some numbers around STU, there was a fairly fast (I assume) STU at the Watkins Glen national this year. Phil Parlato ran a 2:09.166.

IT lap records at WGI:
    ITA 2:17.900
    ITB 2:22.838
    ITC 2:28.228
    ITE 2:03.147
    ITR 2:14.049
    ITS 2:14.155

So if Phil's STU is a good guideline, 120% of his time at WGI is a 2:34.99. Looks easy based on the lap records above.

IMHO, in the north east WGI is likely the best comparison to RA.

-Kyle

PS: There has been talk (forum talk) of lowering the cutoff to 110%.
    What a great reference to Caddy Shack. It's perfect! I know the ITA record is about a second lower and I think the ITB record fell - but no matter - they are light years behind a built STU car. As it should be. It's all about crashing the pool.

Yes, STU cars will be old SWC cars at the front end with the proper mods.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I think that B record still stands at least till next year.

Where can one find out more about the runoffs event in terms of how it's run? Meaning is it a week long event of can it be made into a few days like the ARRC? If a class becomes over subscribed, I'd imagine they'd just eliminate the slowest qualifiers (ITB cars probably)?
    Last edited by gran racing; 01-20-2010 at 12:13 PM.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

We're trying to talk Famous Phil into making the trek, so he can be a good baseline.

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Where can one find out more about the runoffs event in terms of how it's run? Meaning is it a week long event of can it be made into a few days like the ARRC?
    If it's anything like it was in the early 90's - thus take this post with a big grain of salt - Then it's a Monday test day, Tue/Wed/Thurs qualifying sessions (one per day) then Fri/Sat/Sun individual races.

In other words, a lot of sitting around. Just pretend it's an expensive multi-day autocross.