>>>1. What's keeping IT from being a National group?

History. A long discussion. Lots of beer.*

>>> 2. Can I run an ITR BMW without changing anything?

Yes.

>>> 3. Is it worth it to run it without mods if I can?

Yes, 'cause it'll be loads of fun.

>>> 4. Are you guys "inviting" vets and pros only or can we newbs be part of the fun too?

Everyone is invited, as far as I'm concerned. Just note that you must have a National license in order to run the National races needed to qualify for the National SCCA Runoffs. Yes, it's complicated.

GA

*Short answer: I.T. was a class developed in the early-80's in the Pacific Northwest as some place for aged Showroom Stock cars to run (SSx cars used to be classified for only 4 years). It was intended for local use but a lot of other regions saw its quick success and offered it in theirs. Soon thereafter, there was a move for a standardized set of rules nationwide; Englewood (Colorado, the old home of SCCA before Topeka) relented by publishing a set of rules in the GCR -- the first-ever set of nationally-recognized rules for a Regional class. However, SCCA did not want any more National classes so as part of that "relentation" Englewood specifically stated, and codified it in the rules, that I.T. was to be forever a Regional-Only class. It's been a regular argument within the I.T. ranks ever since. Yes, even before the Interwebz.

Long answer? History. A long discussion. Lots of beer.