Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: STU in 2010 runoffs

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    ...I think it would be a lot more fun that running against four other cars in STU. JMHO.
    Methinks you vastly misunderestimate the Caddyshack-ability of Improved Touring...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    What is up with STU that causes it to be 85 and newer?
    It used to be 1992 (?), they changed it last year to '85. It's an arbitrary number in order to keep the classes comprised of new(er) cars, preferably new(er) World Challenge cars. The last thing they want is some old British or Datsun crap sullying up their pool!

Of course, given recent courses of events (see first post in this thread) I'd not be surprised to see then relent and relax that requirement some time in the near future (oh, wait, they already have!!!)

I think I remember hearing one time that the 1985 year was picked to include fuel injected RX-7's beginning with GSL-SE in 1984-1985.
    I do think this will help the national race entries, I just hope it does not hurt the regionals too bad. STO will do well but ST will be a failure because there are only 5 or so models classified. Start planning now to do your 4 national races to qualify. You can qualify strictly as an IT car at the nationals and take a built to the rules STU car to the runoffs unless it does become a pseudo IT runoffs.

matt

A lot of us in the Northeast have been double-dipping in STU (nee D Prepared) in all the Regionals for several years now. Wasn't Bettencourt the NEDiv DP champ in 2007? And I think Doc Breault was our 2008 DP champ. Who got the first STU trophy, in 2009?

My fav DP experience was when I came within one car of lapping the entire Big Bore field at LRP in the rain in 2007, including several GT-1 cars...I had guys that thought they were fighting me for position, but they were actually fighting to keep from getting lapped!

There is no doubt that STU Runoffs eligibility will now present the organizers of Pro IT with a whole new opportunity to run races at nationals that also qualify IT cars for STU at the Runoffs. Heck, the whole issue of Pro IT sucking away regional dollars goes away if some Pro IT races are run at Nationals under STU.

I want to be with Greg Amy when he drops the "Caddyshack Anchor" at the Runoffs!!!!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

"MMmm! Baby Ruth..."

Your only problem is that you will have to run 4 national events to run the runoffs. I would go other then that.

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

There are 3 RX7's running STU in National races in MiDiv. Two us are ITA cars and the other is an 85 GLS-SE ITS car. The ITS car actually won the Division in STU and finished 2nd in the MidAm Championship in ITS.

I requested and recieved a wieght spec for the 12A street port engine - 2450lbs in STU. We also received a clarification about the 1985 model year limit that ended any speculation regarding RX7's built prior to 85 - they are legal all the way back to 79. Finally, I have a carb allowance request pending with the CRB at this time for the 12A engine.

The only thing that was a little Sticky was how STU was grouped. In MiDiv STU and STO run with big bore GT/T1/AS/EP. Not wanting to be run over or lapped STU drivers asked to be moved in with either SM/SSS/T2/T3 or Small Prod/GTL/SRF. This worked pretty good.

I intend to continue developing my car for STU. So far I have played around with cold air induction and a light flywheel, which made about a 2-3 second difference in my last race. My car meets the 12A STU weight spec so I am not running as an IT cross-over car.

The Super Touring rule set needs some tweaking and clarification but it is not too bad overall. It is an engine swap class so future combinations for my car are limitless. This class should really be popular with the Honda crowd.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

I gues to gauge competitiveness, look up some Touring results from World Challenge and see where the top E36's ran. That's a decent idea of how fast STU should be going.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Methinks you vastly misunderestimate the Caddyshack-ability of Improved Touring...
    Agreed. If this were to come together, and we could get an ITFest style attendance (but all in one class!) I would certainly want to join the party. If not, I am seriously looking at HP anyway (because you know 2 race cars make so much sense ) so may just get my feet wet before the car is 'ready' for it. A lot of that is driven by the Runoffs being a 3 hour tow from my house for probably the only time ever in my life.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Is this Amy and Diminno, practiciing for the ruboffs next year?

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...ck-hot-tub.jpg
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    I'm going to petition to run STFU.

K
    Glad I'm not the only one who thinks of that everytime STU comes up.
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Well,

I plan on getting started in January @ Sebring. It's a double this year so I can get half of the needed finishes to get qualified in STU with the old Neon. I like the invansion on the RunOffs idea. We might be able to out participate SM and SRF! Wouldn't that be something!
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Isn't there a double National at Moroso a/k/a PBIR the week before Sebring's double National. You could get all four races in a week.
    Hammer
    CFR
    ITA Nissan 240sx #56
    2009 Nissan GTR
    2010 Nismo 370z
    http://www.ReedNissan.com/

Jeez all the interest in STU may make me run the T3 car in T3 and STU!!!! STU may be the most populated class ever!!!!! You actually may have to compete to make it to the top10 in each division.
    John Costello
    2009 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    2010 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    King Motorsports
    Hoosier Tire
    Chase Cam
    Redline Oil
    YEA YEA YEA......I sold out and now drive an SM and get schooled on a regular basis!

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Your only problem is that you will have to run 4 national events to run the runoffs. I would go other then that.

-Tom
    Doing this may not be that difficult with the proliferation of Double Nationals recently. In NEDIV, expect more than one double national in 2010. Other divisions do a fair number of doubles. If you are really going to do this I suggest getting organized soon as the first nationals start January in the warm areas (Florida, Arizona, Cal, etc.).
    Bill Etherington
    NNJR Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Isn't there a double National at Moroso a/k/a PBIR the week before Sebring's double National. You could get all four races in a week.
    I understood it to be a double at Homestead new years weekend which makes it a hard sell for me.

There is suppose to be a double at VIR in April also?

Hell we don't start racing up here in the north until late april and even that tends to be too cold.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Miller View Post
    Is this Amy and Diminno, practiciing for the ruboffs next year?

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...ck-hot-tub.jpg

Nope! Just a typical Saturday night for the two of them........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Don't you have to finish in the top ten in points to be invited? If so, there still would be at 10 from each division eligible.

Sounds like a plan !!
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

Default Pro IT Finale

I like the idea of having the Pro IT Finale at Road America in September with lots of knowledgeable spectators. Just think, we can start 100 cars on the RA course - how awesome would that be? Now if we can just get a waiver of the ten cars from a division limit ....

Just sayin'

Terry

To bad ITB won't make the top 10 against all the ITR, ITS and ITA cars... unless it rains and Ben continues to procrastinate on buying rain tires!

I did run in STU once with the Audi despite being to old... I wasn't protested and enjoyed the 2nd/last place in class finish! Actually I forget what class cars I was able to mix it up with, but I was at Watkins Glenn and had one of my favorite races running with the production cars.

Raymond
    Last edited by RSTPerformance; 10-22-2009 at 07:41 PM.
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com