Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: STU in 2010 runoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

If it's anything like it was in the early 90's - thus take this post with a big grain of salt - Then it's a Monday test day, Tue/Wed/Thurs qualifying sessions (one per day) then Fri/Sat/Sun individual races.

In other words, a lot of sitting around.
    Greg,

You are correct in the format, however I have never spent much time sitting around at the RunOffs. There always seems to be something to do to some race car, or the tow vehicle when your wife locks the keys in it in the Paddock
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

I think Phil's car is a solid representation of a real STU car. Former WC BMW - really well built, well driven. That's the stuff IT cars will struggle to beat.

Hope Phil will make it out. I figure I'll be racing him several times this year in STU - we'll see what the ITR car can do with a fresh head on it against the real STU guys. (Heck, I want to race the Flatout S2000 in ITR and STU!)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

STU is watching U..........

I'm going to go warn the other three!!

Umm not really. I'm hoping to have a semi-competitive STU car by end of the season this year, but I don't think I can out-money enough people to do well at Nats. Maybe in a few years I'll be ready for that. Have to get the car built and sorted first, which menas figuring out where I hid that big brick of cash. Maybe I'll go sell a kidney.
    Or maybe I'll go to the runoffs and sell beer & brats!

Hey Matt - If your going to building the car on a limited budget you might want to run it in IT as you build it up. IT racing is superior by far as competition is concerned.

Here's an interesting thought on IT racing nationally in STU.....

I bet as some point after a period of time there will be so many IT racers in the class that when a real insane modern WC car turns up we all go BOOOOOOO c'mon man run IT rules...
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Hey Matt - If your going to building the car on a limited budget you might want to run it in IT as you build it up. IT racing is superior by far as competition is concerned.
    I considered that, but my car is already prepped well past the IT rules regarding brakes, suspension, weight reduction, etc.
    The car started as a DE toy and I've built it as I've worn things out, instead of keeping it stock enough to be legal for IT.
    I'm basically building it as I come up with liquid cash and parts wear out- still running the 130k mile stock engine while I have a spare in the garage that I'll build closer to the STU rules. The damn stock engine just won't die! it'll be more of a reliability/enduro build vs. an all-out HP engine I throw away after a race like the "real" STU guys.

Locally, there are a few tracks that hold annual enduros and will be allowing STU cars to run as well as SM, SRF, and IT.

All I've got left before I'm ready to put it on the track is a short list of minor stuff- tow hooks, SCCA stickers, etc.
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 01-22-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Cool Matt - go get 'em :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    We're trying to talk Famous Phil into making the trek, so he can be a good baseline.

If it's anything like it was in the early 90's - thus take this post with a big grain of salt - Then it's a Monday test day, Tue/Wed/Thurs qualifying sessions (one per day) then Fri/Sat/Sun individual races.

In other words, a lot of sitting around. Just pretend it's an expensive multi-day autocross.
    From what I have heard/seen, there will be qualifying Monday through Thursday, and racing on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. It looks like three qualifying sessions in the four days. Not sure how qualifying will be organized, whether classes run by themselves or share sessions with other classes. There will be four more classes in 2010 than in 2009 with the same number of races, 24 races with 29 classes (i.e. five races will have two classes).
    Bill Etherington
    NNJR Tech