Thread: STU in 2010 runoffs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Your only problem is that you will have to run 4 national events to run the runoffs. I would go other then that.

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

There are 3 RX7's running STU in National races in MiDiv. Two us are ITA cars and the other is an 85 GLS-SE ITS car. The ITS car actually won the Division in STU and finished 2nd in the MidAm Championship in ITS.

I requested and recieved a wieght spec for the 12A street port engine - 2450lbs in STU. We also received a clarification about the 1985 model year limit that ended any speculation regarding RX7's built prior to 85 - they are legal all the way back to 79. Finally, I have a carb allowance request pending with the CRB at this time for the 12A engine.

The only thing that was a little Sticky was how STU was grouped. In MiDiv STU and STO run with big bore GT/T1/AS/EP. Not wanting to be run over or lapped STU drivers asked to be moved in with either SM/SSS/T2/T3 or Small Prod/GTL/SRF. This worked pretty good.

I intend to continue developing my car for STU. So far I have played around with cold air induction and a light flywheel, which made about a 2-3 second difference in my last race. My car meets the 12A STU weight spec so I am not running as an IT cross-over car.

The Super Touring rule set needs some tweaking and clarification but it is not too bad overall. It is an engine swap class so future combinations for my car are limitless. This class should really be popular with the Honda crowd.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

I gues to gauge competitiveness, look up some Touring results from World Challenge and see where the top E36's ran. That's a decent idea of how fast STU should be going.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Your only problem is that you will have to run 4 national events to run the runoffs. I would go other then that.

-Tom
    Doing this may not be that difficult with the proliferation of Double Nationals recently. In NEDIV, expect more than one double national in 2010. Other divisions do a fair number of doubles. If you are really going to do this I suggest getting organized soon as the first nationals start January in the warm areas (Florida, Arizona, Cal, etc.).
    Bill Etherington
    NNJR Tech