Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddle shifters?

Default Paddle shifters?

I know that automatics are not allowed in IT and that currently we don't have cars classified with Paddle shifters however does anyone know if they have spoken about or requested? More and more newer performance cars are coming with them. Do they allow them in T1 or T2?

Stephen

I bet the Ferarri that won T1 had set up like that.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

They are allowed in those classes, but the cars that have them are not automatic transmissions. They are manual transmissions that have electronically-controlled clutches and shifters.

It is a reasonable question to ask about WHY automatic transmissions are not allowed ... if it is because the removal of a clutch pedal gives an unfair advantage, then maybe these sorts of transmissions should be disallowed as well. But for now, they are allowed.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

I know that the VW's in T3 are classed w/ and w/o DSG. The DSG cars weigh more.

I always thought the ban on automatics was based on the danger of fluid leaks and spills.
    Am I wrong about that?
    Gettin' old aint for wimps

I think it's just tradition.... sports cars don't have autos, and when created, nobody would dream of a sports car you don't shift yourself! (I still think that)

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    currently we don't have cars classified with Paddle shifters
    Not so fast...

I believe SMG was optional on the Z4. And SMG is a manual per the GCR. So paddle shifters are already legal in ITR. That transmission was also optional on the 2003 E46 BMW's, but that year isn't on the spec lines yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    Not so fast...

I believe SMG was optional on the Z4. And SMG is a manual per the GCR. So paddle shifters are already legal in ITR. That transmission was also optional on the 2003 E46 BMW's, but that year isn't on the spec lines yet.
    That transmission was not available on the Z4 variant that's listed in ITR.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    I bet the Ferarri that won T1 had set up like that.
    I watched the world Rally race from Finland or Norway last night. Sebastian Loeb beat all the Norse drivers in his Citroen. They have in car video of a lot of drivers. They could really use paddle shifters(like in F1). Their hands are so busy on the wheel that paddle shifters would really come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    That transmission was not available on the Z4 variant that's listed in ITR.
    Are you sure?

I see two 2003, and two 2004 2.5 liter Z4's with SMG listed for sale on autotrader right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    I watched the world Rally race from Finland or Norway last night. Sebastian Loeb beat all the Norse drivers in his Citroen. They have in car video of a lot of drivers. They could really use paddle shifters(like in F1). Their hands are so busy on the wheel that paddle shifters would really come in handy.
    I watched the same broadcast. They already have paddle shifters in almost all the cars. The big lever you see in the center is a manual handbrake.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    Are you sure?

I see two 2003, and two 2004 2.5 liter Z4's with SMG listed for sale on autotrader right now.
    I just confirmed it, I was wrong, you are right. I thought they were only available with the 3.0.

It was a fairly lousy implementation, not as good as the M3, but you're right, it was available and would (IMHO) be legal in ITR.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    I think it's just tradition.... sports cars don't have autos, and when created, nobody would dream of a sports car you don't shift yourself! ...
    That's consistent with my perception from the olden days of IT but I can't tell you for sure where it came from.

K

How about the Audi DSG transmission?

I know that automatics are not allowed in IT and that currently we don't have cars classified with Paddle shifters however does anyone know if they have spoken about or requested? More and more newer performance cars are coming with them. Do they allow them in T1 or T2?

Stephen

Oh God, please no....Do we need to classify "dumb cars" so that any uncoordinated idiot can drive a race car and maybe cause a dangerous situation on track???
    There are enough racers out there that shouldn't be racing, and chances are if you are a racer yourself, you know of one or two of them...
    Let's not further dilute the talent pool!
    Last edited by RedMisted; 10-19-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

I didn't realize that most professional race cars are "dumb cars"

How about the Audi DSG transmission?
    Seems legal in principle, but what 2005 and older non-turbo cars had a DSG transmission?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Josh,

The Audi TT... old ITB Coupe to the new ITR coupe
    Same car I mentioned on the AWD link just didn't post the type of car. 2004 and 2005 is the same car and has the specs with a DSG tranny. Not sure what the MK2 specs are but I think one of the last few years they made a 6 speed...

Stephen

I didn't realize that most professional race cars are "dumb cars"
    I doubt there are any pro drivers alive that earned their place at the top of the sport by apprenticing in cars other than those of the old-fashioned stick-and-clutch variety.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Chris... seriously? I think that this may be true for the US and our roundy round culture like Nascar but I bet any F1, ALMS, WRC, ect, ect, ect, ect, drivers have not driven a racecar with a third pedal in a several years! I think paddle shifters have proven to be faster and more reliable in most of those high level racing series.

If you are talking about a normal everyday automatic then we are on the same page, personally I think you loose lots of car control with your regular old fashioned Automatic 3 speed!

Stephen