Thread: Attn: Rlues Nerds

Default Attn: Rlues Nerds

I am building an ITB Celica GTS. It has the same rear suspension as the same year Supra, i.e., independent rear. That is the good news. The bad news is that no one makes ride height adjusters for the rear. The question: the NASCAR boys have adjustable spring perches available for the 5-5 1/2" springs. However, they would require cutting and welding in the rear suspension arm for installation. Either that or weight jack bolts in the supper spring perch. Comments, please. Thanks for your interest, Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

I know someone runs a celica here in the SE with good results.

Unfortunately modification of the control arm is not allowed. However, if you can possilby figure out a way to make it supplemental to the factory perch you should be in good shape.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Can you fabricate bits that allow you to have a coilover-diameter spring sitting in the stock perches?

K

EDIT - To the question, I don't think it's going to fly if you have to modify either the arm or the top spring perch on the chassis.

Post pictures of the situation if you can, Chuck. I've got some on mine.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

jake hit it, sounds like a first gen rx7 situation.
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

First picture is what stock looks like:[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Chuck/Desktop/DSC00452.jpg[/IMG]

Second is what this racer did:

Third is finished produce...CB Edit...could always add a weight jack to the upper frame
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

Not legal.

Springs are legal to change, but there is nothing in the rules that allows mods to install any spring changes. Said differently, you can replace the springs with anything you want (including putting in some weight jack pads, if you like) as long as you don't modify anything else in there to make it fit...

yup, I use ISC adjustable collars. Check out their site, you might have to fa an internal centering setup, but they, or something like them, should do the trick
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Jake, would you have pictures of what you have done? If not, I can look at them at the ARRC> Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

Dude Do the perches fit over the stock bump stop mount,if so put the adjuster on top of the spring. Basically flip it all over. when you corner weight the car all your adjustments will be upside down ie lower percch to increase,raise perch to decrease.
    Good luck Dan

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    I am building an ITB Celica GTS. It has the same rear suspension as the same year Supra, i.e., independent rear. That is the good news. The bad news is that no one makes ride height adjusters for the rear. The question: the NASCAR boys have adjustable spring perches available for the 5-5 1/2" springs. However, they would require cutting and welding in the rear suspension arm for installation. Either that or weight jack bolts in the supper spring perch. Comments, please. Thanks for your interest, Chuck
    Decided to take the plunge eh? Its a good car, and fun too. TRD has a fair selection of springs in Japan. Easy answer might be to just get some of those. I think there are lots of ways to do this without any rules gray area. Could just machine up some adapters to sit on the stock perches, then just use std. race springs and coilover adjusters (more or less how my Konis are done on my 2002 Audi in the rear). Google and you should be able to find some pics. You can modify (but not remove) the snubbers right? IIRC, those just bolt on with a single bolt. Mod the top one with an integral spring seat for 2.5" springs (attach the spring to the top, and could let it "float" on the bottom even). I don't think you'll need much adjustment in the rear, so you could make up some spacers for corner weighting and the like. That's what I have for my Corolla GT-S.